Whats a good audio interface, its need to be able to work with audacity, and handle 12 inputs. As cheap as possible please=)
audacity is awful and i really don't know why you'd need something with 12 inputs.

that being said, the cheapest quality options would probably be to sync together two used m-audio fast track 8s or two presonus firepods. there may be something cheaper out there, but (IMHO) they would very much NOT be worth it.
It doesn't need to be anything fancy, if theres anything else I can use, I'll use it. I just need something that can get the signals from my entire band playing at once into the computer. I'll buy software if it makes it cheaper.
How many people are in your band? If it's just guitar, bass, vocals and drum than you shouldn't need 12 inputs. Most people are gawping at your post because if you really needed 12 inputs you'd be using a proper DAW and already know how to mix.

Actually are you sure you want to record your band all at once? Why not save some cash and record each instrument one at a time. In fact if you just want a demo to put on your myspace page, you can actually get away with 1 mic.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
How many people are in your band? If it's just guitar, bass, vocals and drum than you shouldn't need 12 inputs. Most people are gawping at your post because if you really needed 12 inputs you'd be using a proper DAW and already know how to mix.

Actually are you sure you want to record your band all at once? Why not save some cash and record each instrument one at a time. In fact if you just want a demo to put on your myspace page, you can actually get away with 1 mic.

2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 lead vocals, 2 backup vocals, plus drums, which is about 5 mics. Am I doing something wrong?
Well you can mic the drums with just two mics (three if kick is SUPER important) and the backing vocals should all be added afterward, no reason to record those live. You should really do them all separately, worst case scenario record drums and guitar/bass at the same time for rhythm purposes (though a click track would really be the best way to ensure tempo doesn't change). In my experience, if your band isn't good enough to play separately, you shouldn't be recording.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Harmonicer
2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 lead vocals, 2 backup vocals, plus drums, which is about 5 mics. Am I doing something wrong?

Well firstly you want a 12-in interface for 5 mics? Don't get more then you can need, unless you're planning on expanding your setup really soon.

As Sid said, there's no reason to splash out money on separate mics for each instrument, you should only need 4 mics (dunno where you got the figure 5 from) + a DI box or guitar-capable interface. If you're going to go straight-in with the guitars then you'll get by with 3 mics.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
yeah 12 inputs is really overkill... and it won't be cheap.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
yeah 12 inputs is really overkill... and it won't be cheap.

1. Maybe I'm dumb, but 2 guitars, 1 bass, 3 vocals, and (4 mics) is 10 inputs. So 12 would just leave two spare?
Quote by Harmonicer
1. Maybe I'm dumb, but 2 guitars, 1 bass, 3 vocals, and (4 mics) is 10 inputs. So 12 would just leave two spare?

no point in doing back up vocals with everything else. aall youll need is 8 at a time, 2 guitars,bass, and 4 on drums. The vocalist could also be added later. for best results though you should really track everythign else seperately.
Quote by MetalBass 77
no point in doing back up vocals with everything else. aall youll need is 8 at a time, 2 guitars,bass, and 4 on drums. The vocalist could also be added later. for best results though you should really track everythign else seperately.

What would be the disadvantage of recording vocals with everything else? Another thread on here had this, which would fit my needs, right?
the disadvantage is that the vocals are going to sound like crap (the parts that you can even make out).

if you don't have/won't have 12 mics, or even 8, and you're not planning on getting that many anytime soon then there really isn't much logic in getting an interface with that many inputs.

that being said, the firepod is great for the price (if you're fine with not having pro tools).
Quote by climhazzard
the disadvantage is that the vocals are going to sound like crap (the parts that you can even make out).

if you don't have/won't have 12 mics, or even 8, and you're not planning on getting that many anytime soon then there really isn't much logic in getting an interface with that many inputs.

that being said, the firepod is great for the price (if you're fine with not having pro tools).

Why would they sound bad?
Quote by Harmonicer
Why would they sound bad?

they wouldnt sound BAD. its just there would be a lot of bleed, so pretty much what you have is what you get. id say 95% of studios track everyone seperately. sometimes they'll do a final drum track with the scratch guitar and bass tracks. its up to you but i really suggest tracking seperately.
Quote by Harmonicer

I'm taking the absolute minimum mics you need. Single SM57 on guitar amps, bass DI'd as usual, 1 vocal mic (recording lead vocals and backing vocals separately, backing vocalists can share), then 2 overheads for the drums and you could get away using the 57 on the kick. It won't sound great but if you've never used a DAW before you shouldn't even be spending this amount of money.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
I'm taking the absolute minimum mics you need. Single SM57 on guitar amps, bass DI'd as usual, 1 vocal mic (recording lead vocals and backing vocals separately, backing vocalists can share), then 2 overheads for the drums and you could get away using the 57 on the kick. It won't sound great but if you've never used a DAW before you shouldn't even be spending this amount of money.

contrary to popular belief i think i miced up bass amp should be used. a miced bass amp gives a huge monstrous tone. although an amp sim with bass should be fine. Just a bass di'ed without any thign on it will sound weak and thin.
they would sound bad. with your band, the vocal freqs would be fighting directly with your guitars. you'd get a lot of overlap. thus not only would you get **** tons of bleed and a poorly-balanced recording, but you'd have really muddy vocals AND guitars.
Quote by MetalBass 77
contrary to popular belief i think i miced up bass amp should be used. a miced bass amp gives a huge monstrous tone. although an amp sim with bass should be fine. Just a bass di'ed without any thign on it will sound weak and thin.

An amp sim was implied
Quote by Tombe