Well, after a VERY long wait, I was finally able to get new preamp tubes (JJ12AX7's.)

And even after that very long wait followed by a tube switch, it still doesn't sound right.

I turned it up to 3, left all settings at 12 o'clock, and had the gain all the way up. It still doesn't sound right.

My amp is a JCM 900 combo. From what I have heard, JCM's give good gain tones. I have seen people use them in Youtube videos and even at an Anti-Flag gig I went to, and it sounded good there. I am honestly liking my Vypyr's tone better, and when that is true, there is a problem. I have played a JVM combo in a store that was turned up to 1.5, and even that sounded better my JCM 900 (I expected the tones to be somewhat similar.)

What is going on with this thing? I have the gain at maximum level, and have it at a good enough level. I have played other tube amps like this in stores (both were 100 watts) and they sounded better even at a lower level.

Do you think that I was just unlucky and got one with a problem?

Also, I can get sound clips if you guys need one.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
What exactly is wrong with the way it sounds?

And maybe turn down the gain, perhaps? Really, most amps sound like crap with their gain controls dimed.
Turn the gain down. Way down. Start with it below halfway and get it going at a decent volume.
That's a really common beginner mistake, thinking gain = tone. It's often the opposite.
It still doesn't seem to sound right. I will get a sound clip later.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Sell it , get a JCM 800!
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Turn down the gain! Metal does not mean turn the gain to 10, Metal means turn the gain to 7-8. Gain at 10 pretty much kills the tone of any amp.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Turn down the gain! Metal does not mean turn the gain to 10, Metal means turn the gain to 7-8. Gain at 10 pretty much kills the tone of any amp.

This. With a decent medium to high gain tube amp, you can get a pretty good metal tone at 6-8.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
a common misconception about the JCMs is that you can turn them on and they'll have the same high-gain british tone that you hear on your favorite rock album. you really aren't going to get anywhere close to that without boosting your master volume a fair bit -- to an amount that makes bedroom practicing pretty impossible.
Quote by climhazzard
a common misconception about the JCMs is that you can turn them on and they'll have the same high-gain british tone that you hear on your favorite rock album. you really aren't going to get anywhere close to that without boosting your master volume a fair bit -- to an amount that makes bedroom practicing pretty impossible.

Hmm, I never thought about that.

That would mean that this amp would sit around in my room for quite a long time before I really get to "hear it."

I might save up for a tube amp with lower wattage then. Maybe a Blackstar would be good for now.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Hang on... if you have JJs in every position, that could cause mud. The fact that you have the EQ flat isn't reassuring either; some amps will sound poor without good EQing.

I say mess with it a little more, maybe get a couple more preamp tubes too. Experiment. Don't give up just yet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
This. With a decent medium to high gain tube amp, you can get a pretty good metal tone at 6-8.

With teh br00tz amps, you should be able to get it at 4-5 fairly easily
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera