Ok, so say if I took a Squier Affinity Strat with three single coils, would it be possible to replace the bridge pup with a humbucker, and I'm talking about the larger ones, not the ones that are the size of the single coil. So you would need a HSS scratchplate, and need to cut a bigger hole in the body, right?

(I am interested in this only because I prefer the look of the full size humbucker, and I know it sounds fussy, but it's seriously what I'm interested in doing)

Now, one more question - Would you think a Yamaha Pacifica or a Squier Affinity fat strat with seymour duncan pups and humbucker would sound better?

Thanks!
My Squire Affinity fat strat stock sounds better than a MIM strat stock.

But an hss mod on a sss wouldnt be hard, just make sure the body is routed to fit a humbucker and either carefully cut the pickguard or get a new pickguard.
The Squier Affinity with the S.D in it would be much better

you would need to make the cavity a little bigger and get a different scratchplate
other than that you'll be fine
Do you reckon my local guitar store would be able to do it for a cost, if I gave them the guitar, the HSS scratchplate and the new humbucker? (I don't trust myself with these things)
Any guitar store worth their salt could do it for you.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Firstly to convert a SSS Squier Strat to HSS, you should only need a new pickguard (and a new humbucker pickup, obviously). To the best of my knowledge, all Squier guitars are already routed for an HSH configuration.

As far as which is better out of the modded Squier or the stock Yamaha, I would go with the Yamaha. It's simply a better built guitar right off the bat, with better wood, better hardware and electronics - need you know more? Changing pickups is overrated, though you'll see a big change between a random humbucker and a random singlecoil, you won't really hear much difference between a generic Seymour Duncan humbucker and the stock yamaha humbucker. You may notice a jump in clarity, but it won't be huge and if you're looking at Squiers and Yamahas, you're probably not the sort of person who has the kind of amp that can really make those differences between pickups obvious.

Moreover, I see you're in the UK, which means you absolutely not touch the Affinity series of guitars. The Affinity models that are sold in the UK and Europe are made of inferior wood to the ones sold in the US - so they're okay guitars for America, but over here they're not worth evening thinking about. The only Squier models that are available in the UK that are worth giving any attention to are the Classic Vibe series.

However, we have a third option: Vintage Advance series. Vintage have two series; the ultra-cheap regular Vintage models, which will be on-par with the Yamaha but cost a little less, or the Vintage Advance models, which are as good as the Squier Classic Vibe or a Fender MIM Standard Strat, but cost barely any more than the Yamaha Pacifica and certainly much less than the Fender does. They're really worth looking in to, the Vintage Advance series as a whole, for any style of guitar, is the by far the best value for money you can get in the UK.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yeah, but is the wood really that important? I won't pretend I know a load about guitars, I'm really only a beginner, but will the pickups or the wood effect the sound more? I've seen a cherryburst Squier on sale, so that's one of the vintage series isn't it? As far as I'm aware, it's the only series available in that colour. So if I grab that and make the modifications that will transform it into a fat strat, that any good?

By the way, the pacifica I am comparing the Squier to is an 012 I happen to have recieved for free. so it is an 012 NOT the more expensive 112.
Quote by MrFlibble
Firstly to convert a SSS Squier Strat to HSS, you should only need a new pickguard (and a new humbucker pickup, obviously). To the best of my knowledge, all Squier guitars are already routed for an HSH configuration.

I think they have a "swimming pool" rout.. i.e. a giant box routed out of the body so you can install any combination you like, HHH included. I also think Squiers take a slightly different pick guard than a standard Strat so you may want to check that out as well.
Quote by BobDetroit
I think they have a "swimming pool" rout.. i.e. a giant box routed out of the body so you can install any combination you like, HHH included. I also think Squiers take a slightly different pick guard than a standard Strat so you may want to check that out as well.
I had a Squier Vintage Modified Strat that was routed HSH and used a Fender-spec pickguard, but you could well be right for the Affinity, Standard and other models.

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Yeah, but is the wood really that important? I won't pretend I know a load about guitars, I'm really only a beginner, but will the pickups or the wood effect the sound more?
Wood, by far. Pickups really make the most minimal difference in tone, especially if the amp you're playing through is any kind of beginner or intermediate amp.

For the record, I have a Gibson and an Epiphone Les Paul. They're both made of the same wood combinations (mahogany body/maple top and mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard). They have the same electronics, hardware, pickups, everything is the same when you read their spec sheets. However the Epi is extremely dark-sounding while the Gibson is very, very bright - this is simply because the wood used in the Gibson is much higher grade than the wood used in the Epi. Comparing them is like night and day, all just because of the difference in wood quality.

In terms of defining your tone, your amp makes up most of your tone, followed by the wood the guitar is made from. Whether you have a Seymour Duncan Jazz or Pearly Gates humbucker or even a stock Squier/Yamaha/Epi/Ibanez humbucker makes sod-all difference unless your amp and the guitar's wood and general construction is very, very good. Even then it's not a huge difference. Pickups make nowhere near the contribution to your tone that many people presume they do.

By the way, the pacifica I am comparing the Squier to is an 012 I happen to have recieved for free. so it is an 012 NOT the more expensive 112.
In that case, they're both made of the same wood - though the Yamaha still has better hardware.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Right, so would it be worth me getting a Yamaha Pacifica 112 or something, just because it's a better wood (alder, I believe)

What's the Yamaha Pacifica 112V like?
what about changing from HSS to SSS? i wanna adjust my fat strat to be more like the setup of Hendrix, Jeff Beck and clapton. would my tone suffer at all if i did this?
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix