Page 1 of 2
A few days ago I tried a mystery head out that this forum helped me find out was the now discontinued Peavey Classic 50w head. It sounded incredible - however the store won't sell it without the cab and I refuse to pay £350 for a 4x12 cab that is complete overkill for me and simply too big to fit anywhere in my flat anyway.

So, I'm looking for alternative heads. I'd like to get as close to this Peavey as I can. I'll be pairing it up with a 2x12 of some sort, probably just a basic Marshall MC212 or something along those lines.

Limitations/needs/wants:
  • No more than about £600, maximum. Ideally I'd rather not spend more than about £500.
  • Needs to be easily available in the UK, I can't start importing and whatever (costs far too much).
  • Nothing ''British''-voiced. Marshall, Vox, Orange, etc. Can't stand 'em, I'm after bright tones and all the Marshall and Orange amps I've tried haven't had enough gain for my taste anyway. Imagine a Fender with a hot OD pedal in front of it; that's what I'm after, which the Peavey nailed perfectly. Bright and medium-high gain.
  • Somewhere in the 50w range, give or take a little. 100w is overkill for me and 30w or less tends to not have enough headroom in my experience.
  • I can't imagine many good heads wouldn't have them, but I need separate treble/mid/bass controls. Single tone controls are useless to me. Not fussed about presence controls.
  • Two channels are nice but not vital; I don't have any particular need for more than two channels.
  • I assume most decent heads have FX loops anyway, but just in case there are any that don't, it's not important to me anyway, I prefer to put everything in front of the amp regardless.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Though the first person to suggest the Peavey Classic 30 will be shot.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Peavey Classic 30...bring it....but seriously how bout The Peavey Valveking or Windsor? Have you tried them?
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
fender blue/deluxe/deville/bassman/twin/ect
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
You could always buy that one and sell the cab couldn't you?

Anyway... I'd go with a Classic 30. What you describe (Fender with an OD pedal) is pretty much the C30. As long as you have a decent OD/Dist. box in front.
why dont you buy a "Real" fender and a OD pedal instead of C30?

And the C30 is a trick pony
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Aside from the above suggestions, which are good, have you considered a Vox AC30?
have you searched everywhere for a classic 50 head for that matter? I'm sure if you look around more than just that one place has one that you can get
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

And the C30 is a trick pony

The Classic 30 can do jazz to metal.

OP, maybe you should get a Classic 30, or just bite the bullet and get the Classic 50 and 412 for 350 quid? If your budget is 600, you could just get another cab and sell the 412...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
its pain in A$$ to replace pots and stuff on the c30 and i heard sometime its break down
Quote by angusfan16
That's not what a 'one trick pony' is. What you're describing is an unreliable amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
That's not what a 'one trick pony' is. What you're describing is an unreliable amp.

+1

And the C30 definately is NOT unreliable. They're built like tanks.
And the C30 is NOT a 'One Trick Pony'

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
chassis is but not sure bout the gut
Quote by angusfan16
i'm not certain, having only tried the classic 30, but maybe an engl classic tube? it's pretty bassman-y, and i hear the classic 50 is too. you'd have to go used, assuming you're willing to do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Chetbango
Aside from the above suggestions, which are good, have you considered a Vox AC30?
Can't stand Vox's, never have.

Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Because I've been using Fenders with OD pedals in front of them forever and I'm getting tired of always having to remember which are my basic ODs and then which are my lead boost ODs. My pedal board is huge and I'm trying to cut down on that.

Quote by chuckmehh
have you searched everywhere for a classic 50 head for that matter? I'm sure if you look around more than just that one place has one that you can get
I've looked, there's not. They're not been made in a while and current owners don't seem to keen to part with theirs

Quote by Raijouta

OP, maybe you should get a Classic 30, or just bite the bullet and get the Classic 50 and 412 for 350 quid? If your budget is 600, you could just get another cab and sell the 412...
I would but I literally couldn't get the cab through my doorway, let alone store it until it's sold.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not certain, having only tried the classic 30, but maybe an engl classic tube? it's pretty bassman-y, and i hear the classic 50 is too. you'd have to go used, assuming you're willing to do that.
I've got no problem going used - the head I was going to buy has been sat in this shop for over a year anyway so it's hardly ''new'' - but I thought Engl's tended to be basically as heavy as you can possibly get? I'm certainly after fairly high gain but I need a little flexibility. That's what I liked about the Peavey, the lead channel was very "turn it up to 11" 80's levels of gain but the clean channel remained almost Fender-like. Are the cleans on Engl's any good?
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah, most of the engls get pretty brootalz, but the classic tube is a completely different kettle of fish. I've heard several people describe it as like a 2-channel tweed fender bassman. in fact, if you need to get up to 80s gain levels, it actually might not get heavy enough for you! it's really warm and vintage-sounding, basically. cleans were pretty good, from what i remember, but probably more tweed than blackface (i.e. warmer- just in case i've got my fender definitions backwards ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just remembered another option as far as a head would be the Hayden Mofo - it has that whole "Marshall" thing going on and is fairly inexpensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
haha, nice sig
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

It's to deter the bandwagon of "OMH 100W WILL DECREASE YOUR SPERM COUNT BC ITS SO LOUD LOL GET A 15W CLASS A AMP." Especially when 100w isn't much louder than 50w or 30w, or even 18w in some cases. I've found that almost every tube amp is loud no matter its wattage.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
yeah. i mean, the bigger wattage is generally louder, but even 15 watts is pretty loud. and you can have a problem with headroom with lower wattages.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does it have to be a head? You could find a Classic 50 combo + speaker change. That'd probably be easier to find too.
I'll probably look into the Engl then. Thanks for the suggestion, I never would have even considered them before, I always had them down as a heavy metal-only type of amp brand.

Quote by Flying Couch
Does it have to be a head? You could find a Classic 50 combo + speaker change. That'd probably be easier to find too.
I find single speaker set ups to sound... I don't know a better term for it other than 'flat'. I've gotten really bored with combos too anyway. Someone who really knows a lot about speakers could probably explain what I'm trying to say much better. I've come across a couple of 2x12 combos that sound alright but even then they don't ever seem to sound as clear as a separate head and 2x12 cab.
I'm not so sure about this if you don't like Vox style amps. The Classic 50 sounds very British and Vox-like to me. Somewhere in between a Vox and a Marshall (though more Vox than Marshall)

Something like a Vox AC50 classic plus might be up your alley. One of those new, made in China models, they're distinctly different sounding from an AC30 type amp, inherently more Marshall-like. Does not have the chime of a Fender BF twin, but then again, neither does the Classic 50 imo, clean is rounder sounding, less sparkle, more chime.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I'm not so sure about this if you don't like Vox style amps. The Classic 50 sounds very British and Vox-like to me. Somewhere in between a Vox and a Marshall (though more Vox than Marshall)

Something like a Vox AC50 classic plus might be up your alley. One of those new, made in China models, they're distinctly different sounding from an AC30 type amp, inherently more Marshall-like. Does not have the chime of a Fender BF twin, but then again, neither does the Classic 50 imo, clean is rounder sounding, less sparkle, more chime.

This, this, this, and this.
Egnater Amps? the Rebel 30 is pretty cool. two channels, EL84/6V6 tubes and reverb for each channel. it's about $900 so it should be about 550-560GBP.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by al112987
stuff about VOx
I'll just put it like this: To me, every Marshall, Orange and Vox amp I've played has sounded the same. The Peavey 50 I tried sounded like the Fender blackface amps I'm used to, plus twice the gain on the dirty channel. I actually tried out a Fender Pro Tube and an Orange AD140 right before I came across the Peavey and the Peavey was actually brighter than the Fender was and made the Orange seem completely lifeless in comparison. The last time I played an amp as bright as the Peavey was was once a few months ago I got my hands on an original Fender Twin Reverb, that's about the ballpark the Peavey seemed to be to me.

Probably helps/doesn't help that the first thing I do to any amp I come across is turn the bass down, max out the mids, put the treble almost full and push any 'bright' switches that are around. What can I say, I grew up on Bon Jovi and Whitesnake, bass is my enemy.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 26, 2009,
I think you'd need to be pretty lucky to get an Engl Classic head under 600 quid. They're rare and they're expensive. Otherwise I'd have bought one already!

Like Al said, your OP is a bit confusing - the Peavey Classic series of amps sounds very very British to me.

Anyway, if you want something bright on a low budget, the Laney LC50 is worth a shot (I've only tried the LC15 and LC30, but I assume the LC50 should be similar to them). The LC series is pretty bright and the drive is sufficient for '80s style rock, however, it gets a bit fizzy, muddy and noisy with the gain cranked. On the other hand, it takes pedals well, so an OD might help with the mudd and fizz.

Now, something else you might like is an Engl Thunder - that one's also very bright, but has a rather modern voicing. I like it, but it's not for everyone. It's got all the gain you need though and it actually sounds good with a lot of drive. The head's only 630 quid on thomann:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e325_thunder_head_topteil.htm
Can be bought used for less, of course.

Now for something you might like, but will have trouble finding used: Ever tried a Hughes & Kettner Statesman? There's several versions, the ones most interesting for you are probably the Statesman Quad EL84 (1x12" combo, 40 watts) and possibly the Statesman EL34 (50w head). I've played the combo and seeing as the head uses the same preamp, their tones should be roughly similar. The Cleans are Fender-y, bright, but not ear piercing. It's one of the few bright clean channels I actually liked. The overdrive is very very British, still rather bright though with a lot of definition. Dime the gain if you want to, it doesn't get fizzy or anything. Does everything up to Iron Maiden well.
The head's 1000 new and hard to find used, I've only seen two so far on ebay. The Quad combo is roughly 800 new and easier to find used, so I'd say keep an eye out for it. You can use an external cab with it, of course.

And for the wrath of Cthulhu, please don't use an MC212 or any other sh*tty cab with whatever you get. What is the point of a nice head if you buy a cab that ruins your tone?
That's like eating Filet Mignon smothered in Ketchup. Eww. A Framus 2x12" can be bought for 200 used already and it's a very fine cab.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2009,
Again, I honestly have no clue what to tell you, to my ears, a Classic 50 sounds nothing like a BF Fender, especially in the way it breaks up.

I would still suggest the Vox AC50cph, it sounds nothing like a Vox AC30. If you honestly think all Voxes, Marshalls and Oranges sound alike, then... Idk what to tell you. To me an AC30 sounds nothing like a Marshall, an AC50cph sounds nothing like an AC30, a Marshall plexi sounds nothing like an AD140, and a Rocker 30 sounds nothing like an AD30, and a Marshall JTM45 sounds nothing like any of them. I could see why someone might think an Orange is too dark, because they're dark amps, but Vox or Marshall? Especially an early Marshall? Every amp that I can think of spanning from a 50 watt plexi panel JMP to the JCM800s are extremely bright amps, and a huge percentage of owners clip out the bright caps to get rid of the ear piercing treble.

Maybe you just want a Classic 50, to my ears, there are several sound markers that put it in the Vox-esque tone category, but maybe you just listen for different things that aren't present a Vox style amp. The only distinctive quality I have ever noticed about any of the Peavey Classic amps, are that they're thin, and their sound really lacks girth when you turn them up. If that's what you mean when you say brighter than a Twin, then I tend to agree, though I wouldn't say it's brighter, I'd say it's thinner. To me, it lacks balls, but it might be what you want. If this is the quality you're looking for, I can't really think of another amp that does this, a cranked Fender BF will have a bright, thin lead tone on the unwound strings but will still have noticeably more girth on the wound strings than a Peavey Classic, but in terms of gain structure and texture, imo, they sound nothing alike. The Classic 50 just has that "dirty" and brown sounding breakup that is characteristic of a British amp.
Quote by TheQuailman

And for the wrath of Cthulhu, please don't use an MC212 or any other sh*tty cab with whatever you get. What is the point of a nice head if you buy a cab that ruins your tone?
That's like eating Filet Mignon smothered in Ketchup. Eww. A Framus 2x12" can be bought for 200 used already and it's a very fine cab.
I second this.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
Egnater Amps? the Rebel 30 is pretty cool. two channels, EL84/6V6 tubes and reverb for each channel. it's about $900 so it should be about 550-560GBP.

If he doesn't like 1x12's, then the Rebel wouldn't be the best option. The Renegade head would be sick though. TS, look into an Egnater Renegade if you can A) Find one in your country B) Justify importing an American amp.

Otherwise, the Engl Classic Tube is a wonderful amp. The cleans were good, and very warm, not so chimey and bright. Very much like a fender tweed with a little more roundness. The gain, IIRC, will take you BARELY to 80's metal, but the OD on that amp is great for everything in the range of blues to classic rock.

Also, consider a Hayden MoFo. I haven't tried one, but I've heard great things.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Well I'll have a search, give stuff a go. Going by my experience I would argue you're all entirely wrong about Vox/Marshalls, but meh, I'll give them another look I suppose, can't hurt.

As far as the cab thing goes, price and size are what bothers me. Marshall MC212's are dirt cheap here, are light and take up ****-all room. I can't tell the difference between different speakers anyway. By the time I stick my three EQ pedals, two ODs, wah, POG, delay, chorus, leslie effect and turn the gain to 12, the differences in speakers get lost to me. It's almost bizarre why I nit-pick over amp heads so much because I run through so much stuff and dick with the EQ so heavily most things end up sounding roughly the same most of the time anyway. Really that's the only reason I don't just get a nice Fender, I'm after more gain just so I can at least start to cut one of the ODs and a couple of the EQ's out my board.

Quote by TheQuailman

That's like eating Filet Mignon smothered in Ketchup. Eww.
I put ketchup on everything. That and melted blue cheese. Best burgers in the world, Schwartz Bros with nothing in them but danish blue cheese mayo and ketchup.

This is coming from someone who has repeatedly flown to Italy just to watch specific performances of various operas. I'm a classy mother****er, me, and I say there's nowt wrong with ketchup.
That is a very poor way to go about buying a cabinet. Whether you EQ, use pedals, turn the gain to 12 or whatever, your cabinet is still going to have a major effect on tone. And I mean a serious effect on tone. In the end, all that signal processing, still has to go through the speaker, and how the speaker handles and reacts with that signal is not going to change regardless of what effects you're sticking in front of your amp. The MC cabinets suck. In fact, all Marshall cabinets outside of...

1) Vintage Modern cabinet
2) 1960TV cabinet
3) 1960HW cabinet

all suck. And those are all in the $1000+ range. I actually own a 1960 cabinet and it completely ruins the tone of my head, which a MC212 will do to any decent head. Marshall cabinets are extremely particular about the amps that they're used with, and for the most part, I would buy a higher end 1x12 before a Marshall 2x12 in just about any situation. How big a cabinet sounds is not always 1 speaker vs. 2 speakers. A well designed 1x12 can sound much bigger than a cheap 2x12.
Yeah this, this is why I tend to veer away from anything you advise because it's becoming increasingly clear we don't agree on anything. I can't stand 'big' sounds, I prefer two speakers over one mostly because they sound much clearer once I've taken all the bass off.

Don't let my push for more gain fool you; 'big', 'thick', 'full', 'heavy' and other such terms are not ones I consider to be positives.

And like I said, I can't tell the difference between different speakers anyway. I can tell the difference between different speaker arrangements and sizes but in terms of brands or specific models, they all sound the same to me. You can try and argue otherwise if you want but I know what I do and don't hear.

It's not like I have much choice anyway because the only store aroudn here that stocks any cabs at all only stocks Marshall cabs, and most of theirs are the MG cabs which I'm not touching out of principal, and a few others which are way out of my price range (there is no way in freezing hell I am paying £600+ for any cab, which is what lots here cost). Heads, I'm willing to try stuff out, but as far as cabs go I can barely hear any difference and my selection is very limited anyway.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 27, 2009,
Bigger doesn't mean thicker or heavier, it means it fills a room better and projects better. I honestly don't understand how that is any sort of downside. Otherwise, with a cabinet that is not well designed and has poor construction, you have poor projection, and it will sound too focused and boxy, which is usually the problem with most 1x12s and will happen with poorly designed 2x12s. Mud or no mud has very little to do with whether there is one or two speakers, it has to do with the dimensions, and design of the cabinet. You can have muddy 4x12s (like... a Mesa rectifier cabinet) and very clear and open sounding 1x12s (like... a Stone Age or Earcandy)

Honestly, you don't have to listen to my advice, but if you disagree with what I've said, you're probably going to disagree with just about anyone who is going to give you good advice on the subject. In MY opinion, something like a Vox AC50cph will do the job for you, and I really suggest you be more open minded about such an amp despite it being British voiced and despite you thinking I'm wrong, because when it comes down to it, the Peavey Classic 50 is a British voiced amp, if someone can give me a schematic of the amplifier I can probably even point out the similarities with a Vox or Marshall circuit. I've built amps, I service amps on the side, and I have discussed tone and design with a lot of other amp builders, and even amongst that crowd, the vast majority will tell you that they are very similar in tone. Even on a superficial level, the amp uses four el84s, which are a large part of the Vox style breakup and gain structure, and are a huge part of the characteristic Vox midrange and top end chime. These are objective qualities here. You can make a 6L6 or 6v6 amp sound inherently British and Marshall-like, but it's very hard to make an el34 or el84 amp sound like a Fender, particularly a BF Fender.

More objective observations...

Idk about Bon Jovi but Mick Moody in Whitesnake used JCM800s during his tenure with White Snake, and John Sykes used early Mesa Boogies. Mesa Boogies are American sounding, but sound nothing like a Classic 50.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 27, 2009,
The Classic 50 lies at the nexus of American and British voicing, more or less, since it's closely related to the Bassman but has a Vox-style power section. That's the key to its versatility as well.

Also, I would suggest getting the head and selling the cab for something much better. The Classic 50 can be pretty lame in a full band situation (as in it won't cut through at all) without really good speakers. It's also somewhat lacking in overall low end, although the 412 you tried probably balances it out.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
All I know is that when I played it, the next closest thing to it I'd ever heard was a jacked Twin Reverb and the next closest after that was a Fender Tone Master. Every Marshall, Orange and Vox amp I've played has sounded the same as each other and completely different to the Peavey.

Like I said, I'll search around and give them a go anyway 'cause I'm not in a huge hurry, but I'm highly skeptical and I don't see where anyone could get ''British voiced'' from because the sound that was coming out of the Peavey I tried was certainly nothing close to the ''British'' tone.

Just for reference, before this carries on any further, when I say ''British'' tone, I'm talking something like Clapton's tone on the seminal Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton. Which, while the playing was incredible, is a tone I absolutely cannot stand and I basically want the exact polar opposite of that. Which, to my ears, is what the Peavey gave me. I really couldn't possibly care any less about the technical aspects of why any given amp sounds any given way (this, in case you can't tell, is why I'm rarely on this part of the forums - when people start talking about different types of valve, my brain shuts off), I just go on what I've played and the sounds that have hit my ears.

But whatever, as I said, I'll give **** a go, it's not like I'll lose anything. I just want you to be aware I think you're all barking daft. As it stands the Engl is the only thing mentioned so far that I won't be surprised about if it turns out to be decent. I'll be downright amazed if any Vox ever pleases me, I think I'd rather take a Squier bullet over any of the Vox amps I've tried before or heard on recordings.

Quote by stradivari310
The Classic 50 lies at the nexus of American and British voicing, more or less, since it's closely related to the Bassman but has a Vox-style power section. That's the key to its versatility as well.
This is what I figured. It had more power behind it than any ''American'' amp I've tried before but it was much brighter and clearer than any ''British'' amp I've tried too, which is why I was so sold on it.

Also, I would suggest getting the head and selling the cab for something much better. The Classic 50 can be pretty lame in a full band situation (as in it won't cut through at all) without really good speakers. It's also somewhat lacking in overall low end, although the 412 you tried probably balances it out.
I literally would not be able to transport the cab, let alone store it anywhere while I waited to sell it. I'm amazed they even got it up to the second floor of the store, it's the biggest cab I've ever seen.
''Cutting through'' isn't anything I have any concern about anyway since most of my playing is rhythm-based, I'm the only guitarist in the band and the few times I do need to stand out more for the rare lead-style parts, I've always just kicked on an EQ set to boost the upper-mids and the volume. I'm only ''competing'' with a 35w bass amp and a drum kit that's not even mic'd up half the time. Hell I played a gig before using my crappy 15w Fender Super Champ plugged into a 2x12 extension cab, tone wasn't good of course but it was basically loud enough.
Quote by stradivari310

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and it is the biggest problem I've seen in all the Classic amps, they just sound thin and lacking in balls and it becomes more and more apparent at higher volumes. But if someone is looking for a thin sounding amp, then it might be a desirable quality if one is not playing in a band situation.

I totally agree with what you're saying here, but there are some things that should also be pointed out, I don't know what the Classic 50's preamp looks like, I don't have a schematic or layout and don't feel like looking one up, but if the preamp is like that of a Bassman, than it is also similar to a Marshall plexi preamp, which along with the Vox-style power section would put it very much in the British camp. Even if one took a solid-state rectified Fender tweed Bassman and stuck 3 12ax7s in there, you'd essentially have the same preamp as the '66-'67 transitional era 50 watt bass spec plexis. And it's one of those same reasons why a lot of people say that a tweed Fender sounds a lot like a vintage Marshall anyway.
Quote by MrFlibble

Just for reference, before this carries on any further, when I say ''British'' tone, I'm talking something like Clapton's tone on the seminal Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton. Which, while the playing was incredible, is a tone I absolutely cannot stand and I basically want the exact polar opposite of that. Which, to my ears, is what the Peavey gave me. I really couldn't possibly care any less about the technical aspects of why any given amp sounds any given way (this, in case you can't tell, is why I'm rarely on this part of the forums - when people start talking about different types of valve, my brain shuts off), I just go on what I've played and the sounds that have hit my ears.
I'm not saying you're wrong here, but Clapton's BB tone is really a unique kind of sound all in itself. I personally think that his sound on about... 70% of the album is average, but the lead tone on "Double Crossing Time" and the solo tone on "All Your Love" are incredible, the best that I've personally ever heard. As a bit of an add on, the Bluesbreaker amp is essentially a Fender tweed Bassman, and on "Bluesbreakers" it sounds like a tweed Bassman pushing Celestions, the speakers are the only thing that makes his sound on that album inherently... "British," which... it IS, but it also has a very characteristic Fender kind of high end, especially if you listen to the solo on "All Your Love." And it even shares some qualities with someone like Michael Bloomfield's Super Sessions tone (which is what I consider the quintessential BF Fender twin lead tone). All I can say is that even my JTM45, when I run it into more scooped sounding speakers with a lot of high end (in my case 75 watt celestions) with a les paul and low output PAF style pickups, it basically sounds like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIArmP6HcZk
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 27, 2009,
Here's the schematic, I'm not much good with them though http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/c50schem.pdf

EDIT: If you're the only guitarist, you should be fine running it into a 212. Just try to upgrade it at some point, because you'll be glad you did. I say this based on experience, in my last band I was the only guitarist and the Peavey performed very well, but in my current band until I got an extension cab the other guitarists's Crate V33 totally overpowered me in the mix. I'd say the speakers are largely to blame.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I agree with this wholeheartedly, and it is the biggest problem I've seen in all the Classic amps, they just sound thin and lacking in balls and it becomes more and more apparent at higher volumes. But if someone is looking for a thin sounding amp, then it might be a desirable quality if one is not playing in a band situation.
Yeah, just to reiterate: ''balls'' isn't something I like in an amp. It's what I like in my guitars, but not my amps.

It might be worth pointing out we have a classically trained female singer and it's not like we drop-tune or anything. ''Balls'' and other such things aren't qualities that would suit us even if I personally liked them, it would sound... effing bizarre.

I appreciate that a lot of people on U-G are quite the opposite, but eh.

Quote by al112987
and the solo tone on "All Your Love" are incredible, the best that I've personally ever heard.
Funnily enough, the intro/verse tones on All Your Love are the only instances where I can stand that sort of tone and I hate the solo. I think that says it all really. We're going to have to agree to disagree I think, for life.

Edit: Before anyone says it, no we are not ****ing Hilary Duff or anything like that.
Edit 2: well actually I wouldn't mind ****ing Hilary Duff, but that's a different topic for a different day.
woops, just realised the classic 50 is 4xEL84. I always thought it was 2x6L6. That being the case (and i realise the power tubes aren't the only thing influencing the tone), the engl classic might not be what you want... still would be worth a try if you can find one, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does your store buy/sell used equipment? If so, then why not just sell the cab back to the store right away?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Page 1 of 2