For some reason I get a lot of excess noise coming through my amp when I dont think I should be. For instance if I play just something simple on the high E like this

E--5h7h8p7p5h7h8p7p5

over and over just tapping with my left hand and not picking any notes I get a bunch of horrible noise from the other strings ringing when Im not touching them at all with either hand. In order to stop it I have to rest my palm on the strings.

Obviously this is a simple and probably correct solution but I just dont understand why Im getting noise when Im not touching any other strings. This is something thats been bothering for me a while and I dont think it should be happening because Ive watched quite a few youtube videos of people playing and a good amount of them dont seem to keep their palm constantly on the strings where if I dont do that I get a while bunch of garbage coming through my amp
Your guitar vibrates with the notes you are playing (or hammering), setting the other strings off. Muting with your hand is the customary method to stop this and is a basic part of playing an electric guitar.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Well, chances are that you're not properly muting strings, as you've actually noticed yourself. When you play a note, other strings will want to sympathetically ring as well if they are tuned to the same note... so, for example, when you play that fifth fret note on the E string (an A), the string tuned to A will tend to vibrate a little, naturally. That will in turn get picked up and sent to the amp. You probably want to work on your muting technique (left and right hand) as well as possibly turning down the gain a bit. A ton of distortion will cause noise to get amplified as well... more gain is not always the best move, contrary to popular belief (sorry, that may not apply to you, but people seem to love gain these days for some reason). Make sure you're not accidentally coming in contact with other strings or you're picking them in effect as you do your pulloffs. Hope that helped you a bit!
Good points about the gain, didnt think about that. I have a small little 15watt Vox Valvetronix amp and have the gain around 8 or 9 so maybe its not good enough to handle it that high, i dunno.

Naffin I can def assure you Im not touching the B string above when Im playing that riff. Thats why I was originally confused cause I would see guys playing similar riffs and have their picking hand way off the fretboard kind of showing off and they dont have problem.

It seems like this issue is mainly problematic on the high E and not so much if I do the same riff on the others.
Quote by BedTime
For some reason I get a lot of excess noise coming through my amp when I dont think I should be. For instance if I play just something simple on the high E like this

E--5h7h8p7p5h7h8p7p5

over and over just tapping with my left hand and not picking any notes I get a bunch of horrible noise from the other strings ringing when Im not touching them at all with either hand. In order to stop it I have to rest my palm on the strings.

Obviously this is a simple and probably correct solution but I just dont understand why Im getting noise when Im not touching any other strings. This is something thats been bothering for me a while and I dont think it should be happening because Ive watched quite a few youtube videos of people playing and a good amount of them dont seem to keep their palm constantly on the strings where if I dont do that I get a while bunch of garbage coming through my amp

You just answered your own question. It has nothing to do with gain, as long as you have proper muting technique, you can control unwanted noise. Likewise, if it's feedback from your amp, then just move away from your amp.
Quote by BedTime
have their picking hand way off the fretboard kind of showing off and they dont have problem.

What? Are you saying they have their pick/picking hand away from the neck? That's normal, you dont need to pick right by the neck.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Sorry meant their right hand is completely away from the guitar as theyre tapping with their left hand