I am in the market for a new amp. If possible, I would like it to work well with both bass and guitar alike. Some people I have talked to have recommended the Fender Bassman series. My budget is around $500-700 and was looking for confirmation that the Bassman would be the way to go, or suggestions otherwise.

I am new to playing and mostly want to learn classic rock, reggae, and a little country. Basically anything with a nice beat that does not make me want to rip my ears off to stop the insanity.
When people say the Bassman amps, they mean the old ones from the late '50s/early '60s. You can pick them up used for like $500 or so. The new ones are just bass amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok, but would the newer Bassman amp not work well for a guitar? I know it's not recommended to use a guitar amp for a bass, because it will damage the amp. But what about the other way around?
You can safely use a guitar amp with a bass amp, and you can use a bass with a guitar amp, but you may rupture the speakers in that case.

The newer Bassman amps are solid-state and have a different circuit than the old Bassman amps, which were all-tube and served as the basis for the Marshall JTM 45, and many other guitar amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright, so in the $500-700 range, would the Bassman series amp be the best choice for a bass amp that is intended to be used for both bass and guitar?
theres an amp by orange called a thunderverb that is designed for guitar and bass. im not sure if it is in your price range though. look it up, it might be your thing.
you can't damage a bass amp with a guitar, but you can damage a guitar amp with a bass.
that said, you can use either a keyboard amp, which is meant to use with all ranges of sound, or a bass amp, which is meant for bass. Either way, you won't get much definition in your tone, although after trying a guitar in a bass and in a keyboard amp, it sounded a bit better in the keyboard one.
and either way, you won't have on-board effects, most likely
I've been thinking and how about using a bass cab with two heads. One being for the guitar, and the other being for the bass?