So im jamming with some guys, and the other guitarist (who is a good guitarist and guy) doesnt know when he is out of tune. He was a whole tone out and he coudnt tell, so i had to try and play the pitches he was playing by bending the strings, as i kept telling him to tune and he did but was still out.

What do i do?!
Welll, tell him to tune up and watch him tune over his shoulder.

I'm just getting good at decently tuning my guitar by ear. But I usually can tell when I'm out of tune. I always test my octaves after I tune and then I'm good to go.

After awhile, you develop a sense of being out of tune. It's not always easy for your ear to hear it. And could it be you who's out of tune?

After playing the tenor saxophone for 3 years, I'm just beginning to be able to tell if I'm sharp or flat. I think playing guitar really helped develop that skill.
option 1: tune it for him
option 2: spend time with him so he knows when he's in tune or not
option 3: kick his butt out

hope it helps!
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by lucertia.
who is a good guitarist

Sorry mate, I'm not having a go at you or anything, but I just don't undserstand how someone could be a good guitarist and not realise they're out a whole tone.

Anyway, he just needs to practice, and develop his hearing.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
i had the same problem with my brother/bassist. i'd tell him he was out and he would insist i was the one out of tune, when i had just tuned mine. that and his ego is huge and playing messy so we kicked him out. it's better to not have a bassist than to have my brother as a bassist.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
^A tuner would help to determine which of you is out.

Aside from that, I have found that while my ear was okay back when I refused to sing, as soon as I started to sing, my ear got SOOOO much better. It is also a great asset to have someone who can at least do backing vocals. So, maybe, get him to start singing some stuff?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ya dude I'm in a band too and the other guitarist doesn't necessarily have a tuning problem but he's so ****in hardheaded! We play our songs in Drop C and he learns lots of Drop D songs and he never tunes down at practice and it makes our songs sound like ****. I'm always like hey can you tune plz? but ya dude just do it for him.
Quote by axemanchris
^A tuner would help to determine which of you is out.

Aside from that, I have found that while my ear was okay back when I refused to sing, as soon as I started to sing, my ear got SOOOO much better. It is also a great asset to have someone who can at least do backing vocals. So, maybe, get him to start singing some stuff?

CT

...i gave him my tuner and i dont know him well at all so i dont wanna be mouthing off.