The guitarist in my band want a pedal to give him more gain. I just use gain from my amphead.

What would be the best option (approx £60 max i think)

Plays Metal has an LTD explorer and a Randall combo (but uses the rehersal room marshall amps normally)
If you just want more gain, get a mxr micro amp. Literally, all it does is boost the gain. It has one simple knob: gain. And they are pretty cheap.
if you're he's looking for metal in a pedal then a EHX Metal Muff will do quite well, if he just wants a boost to the amp distortion then he should get a tube screamer, a TS9 or TS9DX I would suggest depending on price conversion
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!