Hi,
Could you guys recommend me the best pedals for me to boost my solos so they cut through the mix when I engage the pedal?
At the moment I have a BOSS GE-7 but am looking to see if they're are any other better options?
Thanks a lot.
Jack.
MXR M-108 10-band EQ?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
If you scoop your mids, what you'll want is something like a Maxon OD808 to boost them and add a bit of gain and volume.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Build it yourself, its very easy.
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
i disliked the boss EQ when i tried it, it seems to sterilize your tone (but which boss pedal doesn't, i ask you)
it all depends on your budget, if you want a volume boost, the EHX lpb1 is pretty cheap, or you can get an MXR micro amp, these are going to be volume boosts.
if you want an overdrive, the standard will be an ibanez or maxon tubescreamer, or you can once again cheap out and go for a digitech bad monkey, which is great when used as a boost. personally, i have an mxr gt-od overdrive, and it's great, it can add a lot of crunch. you can also try out the boss sd-1, but i never tried it so i can't comment on it.
if it is an EQ you want, look at the danelectro fish'n chips, it's another 7 band EQ with a volume slider, or you could go for the mxr 10 band EQ which has a gain and a volume slider (and LEDs on the sliders!!!) but the 6 band one doesn't have a volume
you can also use a wah, but that's not exactly the same thing...
Quote by SameOld
Just pull an Angus Young and turn the volume on your guitar up

What if its already up to 10?! , I know put it up to 11 ! its 1 louder

No seriously though , get a boss sd-1 , very cheap and very good for boosting solos
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Yeh I think I've decided I just want a volume boost rather than an EQ as it's mainly just for solos. So I reckon one of the MXR's are my best shout?
Thanks
Quote by Darkflame
^my guess is that it's going to be like the micro amp

What do ya mean by that?
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Quote by jacko_17
Yeh I think I've decided I just want a volume boost rather than an EQ as it's mainly just for solos. So I reckon one of the MXR's are my best shout?
Thanks

i would really an EQ pedal. When you add a volume boost, you just get louder. You don't necessarily cut better, you'll just be louder than everyone else and that isn't necessarily a good thing especially when it comes to mixing. Just speaking from experience, I'd go for an EQ pedal and add some mids and highs.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
i would really an EQ pedal. When you add a volume boost, you just get louder. You don't necessarily cut better, you'll just be louder than everyone else and that isn't necessarily a good thing especially when it comes to mixing. Just speaking from experience, I'd go for an EQ pedal and add some mids and highs.

I suppose you have a good point there. I'm now really stuck for what to get!!!!

The advantage of the volume boost is that it's simple to use and it's all I really need, however the advantage of the eq is the tone quality.
What does everyone think I should get?
Thanks
Quote by slashfan189
What do ya mean by that?

looks like a volume pedal to me

and i kind of agree with the poster above me, although i've never had any problems with just a volume boost, i guess it depends on the way you EQ your stuff

edit:
^if you can have the choice between an EQ and a boost for the same price, go for the EQ, but if the boost is cheaper and is all you need, go for that one =)
Last edited by Darkflame at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by jacko_17
I suppose you have a good point there. I'm now really stuck for what to get!!!!

The advantage of the volume boost is that it's simple to use and it's all I really need, however the advantage of the eq is the tone quality.
What does everyone think I should get?
Thanks

If you want something simple just get a MXR 6 band EQ and boost the highs and mids a little bit (or a lot, depending on how your amp is EQ'd).
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
If you want something simple just get a MXR 6 band EQ and boost the highs and mids a little bit (or a lot, depending on how your amp is EQ'd).

My amp is usually quite balanced, with a little higher on the treble but the middle and bass at the middle.

Would this not just edit the tone rather than boost my lead solos and riffs? Or does it not need a volume slider to hear the lead more clearly?
Thanks
An eq boost should work nicely. If you want affordabilty, check out the danelctro fish and chips. You could also look at the boss ge-7, mxr m-109, or mxr m-108.
Im using an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1. It works fairly well. Especially for the price. Theres a volume boost, its not much, but you can tell theres a boost. It also adds a bit of overdrive when you turn the knob up past about 2 o clock. I have it set full. The manual also says its true bypass, which is nice too.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
t00b screamer,
boost the mids, (TS808 has a mid "hump" already) and the level

problem solved
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Sep 26, 2009,