hey guys first time poster here
I have a Laney VC30 112 and am looking for a new speaker.
What would you recommend?
Whats wrong with your current speaker?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
the overdrive is very thin sounding

Edit: How does the Cannabis Rex sound?
Last edited by bantoto at Sep 25, 2009,
I doubt it's your speaker.

Try cranking it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
If you're sticking with a Celestion I'd go for a Vintage 30, or a Warehouse Veteran 30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you're sticking with a Celestion I'd go for a Vintage 30, or a Warehouse Veteran 30.

How about the G12H30? I've read that it's a great speaker with the Laney.
i like ted weber's speakers. if you were interested in celestion speakers then i would recommend his copies. i have a alnico blue dog and an ceramic silver bell in my 2x12 cab, top notch speakers. depending on what you are after and how you play he has many speakers you would be interested in. but unfortunately you have no songs posted on your profile so i can't recommend anything, how about bands that you like? an alnico silver bell would be my quick recommendation though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
thanks gumbilicious!
i researched the weber speakers and Alnico speakers can't fit! I play classic rock, hard rock and indie by the way. What about the Ceramic blue dog and the silver bell?
i would be happy with my ceramic silver bell by itself(have my 2x12 set up for stereo inputs too). i kinda compare the speaker to what the V30 wants to sound like, nice mids hump and cuts in the mix. the silver bell is supposed to be a copy of a celestion alnico found in early marshall cabs. the blue dog is the vox ac30(aka alnico blue) copy. either way, good quality speaker.

-ae
ceramic speakers are notorious for high gain applications

-ae
How would the ceramic Silver Bell compare with the Celestion G12H30?
wouldn't be syrupy, not low heavy, it would have a bit more of a mids hump with a sweeter higher end. get the 100 watt silver bell and it'll be very even, get something rated closer to the amps wattage and it'll have more speaker breakup that is favorable is classic rock and blues. i have clips of the speakers on rainbow highway(left ear), the mutron bi-phase demo(mixed with music man) and black napkins(right ear), they have a nice rock sound to em.

-ae
So the Silver bell will be less low heavy? I have a 30 watt so I'd get the 30 watt speaker? What is pre-rola?
dude you trolling me or something?
Quote by bantoto
So the Silver bell will be less low heavy?

than a g12h-30? then most likely, it will be less low end heavy. but the g12h-30 is a 50 oz magnet speaker that was designed to be a higher wattage rated speaker than the g12M-25(aka greenback). the side effect of the redesign around the 50 oz ceramic magnet was a syrupy low end sound. but the silver bell is gonna probably be more low end heavy than most other celestions.

there is a description and sound clip on his website, just click there:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
and click british series_>ceramic silver bell. then you'll be more enlightened.

Quote by bantoto
I have a 30 watt so I'd get the 30 watt speaker?

this is your decision, i believe earlier i mentioned that a higher wattage speaker won't break up, and will have more even tonal characteristics at varying volumes. but if you get something like a 30 watt silver bell the speakers tone will change depending on the volume intensity of the amplifier; this is result of the speakers voice coil(the main moving component of the speaker) being stretched closer to it's limits. soft compression can occur in particular magnets(mainly alnico) where the magnet will start to actually lose some magnet pull under more intense magnetic fields(like when you drive the speaker at max levels). these, and other, characteristics that are the result of a speaker's components being driven near it's normal operating parameters and it is known as 'pushing', 'driving', or 'rounding' the speaker. if your amp is rated for something like 60 or a 100 watts then you wouldn't have to deal with the 'rounding' issue at all, your speaker will sound more stable and even. whether you prefer a 'rounded' sound or a not is up to you, i can't answer that for you. you wanna know about speakers? start here

http://www.webervst.com/sptalk.html

Quote by bantoto
What is pre-rola?

celestion has been sold at different times in it's history, and the more famous celestions were from when celestion had "merged" with the rola corporation. these are known as 'rola celestions'. but in the way before time(to be precise is was about 15 mya) they didn't have 'rola' on the back of the speaker.

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pages/CelestionVintage.htm

i think that changed when they moved facilities to ipswich, not too sure.

-ae