ive been thinking about buying a bass, but i dont have enough to buy a good one with a good amp. so can i just use my guitar amp? i have some sort of peavey bandit model. i dont plan on playing live; im just a hobbyist.
well ive heard that its not too bad as long as you dont turn it up too loud. is that true?
Do Not Do It!
refer to the bass faq sticky for further info
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
No, it's not true about the volume thing, it's all about the wattage. It takes a hell of alot more wattage to make bass tones than guitar tones, you'll actually just pump too much energy to the speaker, no matter what volume. ie, guitar amps go up to about 200 watts for the loudest I've ever seen. In contrast, I've seen a bass amp that's 4000 watts. Think about the effects that would have on a 30 watt practice amp, you'd destroy it if you pumped the bass through it.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by mogan777
well my amps 100 watts and the volume knob never goes above 2 at home

aside from damaging the amp it will sound like **** due to it not being able to handle the lower frequencies
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
You'd be fine with a bass speaker.

With a guitar speaker it's going to lack the bass response to properly reproduce the lows of a bass. This will eventually damage the speaker. It's caused by both the longer scale and the lower tuning, which is why an 8 string guitar won't cause the same issues. With a bass speaker you'll only be limited in volume, it would be fine for bedroom playing but anything louder will make the amp distort and sound muddy.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

With a guitar speaker it's going to lack the bass response to properly reproduce the lows of a bass. This will eventually damage the speaker. It's caused by both the longer scale and the lower tuning, which is why an 8 string guitar won't cause the same issues. With a bass speaker you'll only be limited in volume, it would be fine for bedroom playing but anything louder will make the amp distort and sound muddy.

This. Bass guitars produce lower overtones, these lower overtones or harmonics are what damage guitar speakers.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ive done this with a guitar amp many times and the amp works fine. Have even cranked the gain and volume up a lot. Dont know why the amp still works but it does. I wouldnt try it though. I would never do it with my Good Amp. Just tried it with my friends gear I borrowed. Just saying. If ur attached to ur amp dont try it, if not, go for it.
Quote by justinb904
Do Not Do It!
refer to the bass faq sticky for further info

noice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by From_The_Ashes
Ive done this with a guitar amp many times and the amp works fine. Have even cranked the gain and volume up a lot. Dont know why the amp still works but it does. I wouldnt try it though. I would never do it with my Good Amp. Just tried it with my friends gear I borrowed. Just saying. If ur attached to ur amp dont try it, if not, go for it.

...Some friend you are.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by STABxYOU

Exactly. I know about many basists who's used guitar amps (like John Entwhistle, Neol Redding, Jack Bruce and of course Lemmy) but with a bass cab. I tried my Plexi with a bass cab and it was fine, but as I said, you need the cab. Otherwise, yes you might damage it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by nickdohle
bad idea but... whats with the double google ideas!?

because it's stereo amp, and i don't think it's tube...

Now to add some sensible input to the thread- at bedroom volumes it should be okay; it won't sound too good but it should work without any problems. I've done this for years and never done any damage.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Most suggest to not. You can play a guitar through a bass amp easily but not the other way around.