OH WAIT LAWLS
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
The one that is priced commensurately with how much it's actually worth

OH WAIT LAWLS

you win.
answer: none
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Get an older one. I own a 17-inch macbook (that I'm running windows on now) that came out in 07, and it's worth about 1200 bucks used, so it's cheap for such a good machine.
Quote by dandoosh101
__|__
--------(_)--------
--

One lol Bomber for you
Greatest lol yet
Answer: Real Answer: Shut up pit, just help the guy: 13 inch MacBook pro. Its the cheapest one but it works SOOO well. I'm using it RIGHT now. You can do UG on a MacBook. I do it. But seriously get the pro. It's just disgusting. So ****ing awesome.
Quote by Dreadnought

*I'm a super-douche*

Is that Celtic Thunder I see in thine sig?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Dreadnought

I have had zero problems with my Macbook since the day I got it.
I wish I could say the same about my Dell Inpiron.

TS, go for the cheaper model in price - they work well and get what you need done. No need in spending more money on the same laptop unless if you're looking for more screen real estate, which is desired for DAW recording programs.
You might struggle seeing photoshop on the 13" Macbook Pro screen but it'll certainly be good enough for you.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Macbooks tend to overheat a lot, so putting a recording interface + DAW will simply fry the ****ing computer.
I have the 2008 macbook, it's perfect for everything except really heavy stuff, which causes it to overheat and turn off until it cools down again. This also happened to 2 of my musician friends.
real answer: don't get a mac, they are overpriced

helpful wanted answer: the second for it's larger processor, but I'd definitely get at least 3 gigs of RAM if you want to do any recording

edit: and don't trust the battery life claims, not just mac but any maker
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Macbooks tend to overheat a lot, so putting a recording interface + DAW will simply fry the ****ing computer.

Interesting, that's never happened to me once.
Quote by PlayMadness
Is that Celtic Thunder I see in thine sig?

Yep! First one to recognize it
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I have the 2008 macbook, it's perfect for everything except really heavy stuff, which causes it to overheat and turn off until it cools down again. This also happened to 2 of my musician friends.

My friend showed me some mac program where you could adjust the macs fan intensity. worked very well.
Quote by lucertia.
My friend showed me some mac program where you could adjust the macs fan intensity. worked very well.

work as it may, you have to remember where the extra electricity powering that fan is coming from, you're either killing battery life or pulling power away from other hardware reducing performance
ok for desktops but i would advise against with laptops
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 25, 2009,
whole lotta anti-mac douches in the pit tonight huh?

anyways, i would go for the 2.26. the difference between 2.26 and 2.4 ghz is so small that you will never notice the difference.

Quote by Portuguese_boy

that has literally never happened to me even once, and i multi task with heavy programs like a mother ****er. the ONLY time i've ever had the fan going on high speed was when i was ripping a dvd from my camcorder and running Final Cut, itunes, msn, and t3h intraw3bz at the same time.

you wanna know what DOES overheat a lot though? my HP laptop. cost the same price as my macbook, and is only good for gaming. thats it. and if i haven't got it on the fan dock, it will turn itself off from the heat it generates.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by Dreadnought

OH WAIT LAWLS

WINNER:

Seriously, Macs are insanely overpriced. Wait the small amount of time, and get a laptop that is efficient and affordable with Windows 7 on it.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
WINNER:

Seriously, Macs are insanely overpriced. Wait the small amount of time, and get a laptop that is efficient and affordable with Windows 7 on it.

protip: the mac premium doesn't exist. they are more expensive on average, but you are getting what you pay for. why do macs cost more you may ask? more expensive to manufacture, better quality components, better design, more innovative features, more efficient unibody casing, better operating system, more advanced programming, and the number one reason...

VIRUS
FREE.
every single computer ive ever owned has been killed by either hardware failure, or viruses. i suspect my HP will soon succumb to one of these also. i have no such worries about the mac
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 25, 2009,
I'm wondering if I should report this thread for pretty much spam and hate.

TS, if you want a Macbook, then go for the 13" Macbook Pro with an upgraded harddrive if possible.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
ZOMG MACS R S0 C00LZ AND BRUTALS IM TIEPING ON IT RIGTS NOA, TIS 1 SH0WN HEAR: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Gzq-QEt0s
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by Chrisiphone
I'm wondering if I should report this thread for pretty much spam and hate.

TS, if you want a Macbook, then go for the 13" Macbook Pro with an upgraded harddrive if possible.

+1 to this. As far as I know, the new Macbooks (as well as the old ones) have replaceable hard drives and memory. The 13" should be more than enough for what you want. Hell, my old (i.e. the model just before the aluminum body) with 4GB ram can easily run heavy programs without crashing.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by Dreadnought

OH WAIT LAWLS

you get all software free

Standard macbooks will do what you want them to.
Post pictures, too lazy to click links.
Get an acer. The newer ones look sexy as hell and arent incredibly over priced.

Macs are for people who have no idea about computers. Nuff said.
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
I have the unibody Macbook (not the pro) and it's working fine for me when recording. It kinda sucks because there's no Firewire so I had limited choices for an interface, but still it's working great.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
protip: the mac premium doesn't exist. they are more expensive on average, but you are getting what you pay for.

So, the mac premium DOES exist?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

why do macs cost more you may ask? more expensive to manufacture, better quality components, better design, more innovative features, more efficient unibody casing, better operating system, more advanced programming

All of the bolded parts are subjective, or false. The parts do not cost more than other parts in the same range for the PC. Actually, apple gets a discount on most of the parts they use for their computers.

All of the parts are optimized for the mac operating system. So yes, they will run more efficiently, but you are sacrificing customization at the same time.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

VIRUS
FREE.

Not really. It has less viruses written for the operating system, as it has a much smaller market share than windows. It's hardly "virus free".
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

every single computer ive ever owned has been killed by either hardware failure, or viruses. i suspect my HP will soon succumb to one of these also. i have no such worries about the mac

You aren't exactly careful with your internet browsing, are you? I've had AVG and Malwarebytes for a long time now, and my nine year old computer is still going strong.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I hate when people let companies take advantage of them. :\
Last edited by that_1_dude24 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by trivium036
Get an acer. The newer ones look sexy as hell and arent incredibly over priced.

they sure aren't overpriced, but they sure aren't GOOD. Acer have some of the lowest reliability ratings of any company. Acer is a bargain computer for a REASON.

Quote by trivium036
Macs are for people who have no idea about computers. Nuff said.

lol.

programmers
video editors
recording artists
photo editors
etc.
Macs aren't really priced competitively at the moment... I'd go with the first one but it's a much better idea to look around and get a different laptop. I have a macbook but around the time I bought it similar laptops were more expensive, nowadays it seems apple computers are lagging in terms of hardware for the same price as other computers.
Quote by that_1_dude24
So, the mac premium DOES exist?

no it doesn't. more expensive =/= a premium. it is worth its value therefore it is simply "more expensive" not overpriced

Quote by that_1_dude24
All of the parts are optimized for the mac operating system. So yes, they will run more efficiently, but you are sacrificing customization at the same time.

as has already been stated in the thread, the macs ARE customizable, just not to an extreme extent. they are not Dell, but they are not set in stone.

Quote by that_1_dude24
Not really. It has less viruses written for the operating system, as it has a much smaller market share than windows. It's hardly "virus free".

check how many viruses there are for mac, then check how many there are for windows... it might as well be virus free

Quote by that_1_dude24
You aren't exactly careful with your internet browsing, are you? I've had AVG and Malwarebytes for a long time now, and my nine year old computer is still going strong.

i've had every bit of protection i can get on my windows PCs, they still succumb to the viruses. no matter how much protection you put up, new viruses are being made every single day... eventually one is going to get in.

Quote by that_1_dude24
Sorry for the mini rant, but I hate when people let companies take advantage of them. :\

i haven't been taken advantage of, i made an informed decision based on past experience, current experience, the overwhelming positive reviews from open minded users who aren't windows fanboys, etc. it's not like i've stopped buying windows, i still have an HP laptop, and a dell desktop, i just realize that the mac is superior to both of them, even though they cost the same. everything down to user interface is more friendly to interact with and a lot faster to use. I stand by my choices

Quote by tontentanz
One question first: what kind of amp are you playing it through?
*BIIIIG*

holy crap. that's literally the biggest picture i have ever seen.

this thread seriously needs to get closed. im pretty sure any and ALL mac threads should be closed unless they're in the computer thread. there are just too many fanboys.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

they sure aren't overpriced, but they sure aren't GOOD. Acer have some of the lowest reliability ratings of any company. Acer is a bargain computer for a REASON.

lol.

programmers
video editors
recording artists
photo editors
etc.

Programmers don;t necessarily know anything about hardware, and your other 3 examples just use macs because they were better than PCs at those things 10-15 years ago.
Quote by MightyAl
Programmers don;t necessarily know anything about hardware, and your other 3 examples just use macs because they were better than PCs at those things 10-15 years ago.

they're still better than PC's at those things. programs like final cut and photoshop invariably run better on macs. it is native to mac, and the transfer to pc was pretty good, but by no means perfect. if you had the choice, you'd run them on the mac.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
they're still better than PC's at those things. programs like final cut and photoshop invariably run better on macs. it is native to mac, and the transfer to pc was pretty good, but by no means perfect. if you had the choice, you'd run them on the mac.

PS isn't native to macs. My brother works for Adobe DevSup, and he does his PS work on a PC.
But u cant play teh gaimz!!!
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no it doesn't. more expensive =/= a premium. it is worth its value therefore it is simply "more expensive" not overpriced

You really think you aren't paying anything for the "mac" name?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

as has already been stated in the thread, the macs ARE customizable, just not to an extreme extent. they are not Dell, but they are not set in stone.

Exactly. You are sacrificing slight performance differences for customization. Apples whole business strategy is to lock certain parts of the computer from being changed, then market a newer, better computer.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

check how many viruses there are for mac, then check how many there are for windows... it might as well be virus free

Again, a smaller market share = less viruses. If you really wanted to argue about how many viruses there are, we could start talking about unix based operating systems.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

i've had every bit of protection i can get on my windows PCs, they still succumb to the viruses. no matter how much protection you put up, new viruses are being made every single day... eventually one is going to get in.

I doubt that.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

i haven't been taken advantage of, i made an informed decision based on past experience, current experience, the overwhelming positive reviews from open minded users who aren't windows fanboys, etc. it's not like i've stopped buying windows, i still have an HP laptop, and a dell desktop, i just realize that the mac is superior to both of them, even though they cost the same. everything down to user interface is more friendly to interact with and a lot faster to use. I stand by my choices

You don't feel that you are being taken advantage of when you can't change your motherboard, GPU, or CPU?
Quote by that_1_dude24

You don't feel that you are being taken advantage of when you can't change your motherboard, GPU, or CPU?

it doesn't need changing. im more happy with this macbook than any other computer i've ever owned. the only windows based pc i'd buy over this that TRULY is superior, would be an Asus computer... wanna talk about "premiums"? I'm sure you've seen the prices.

by the way, I don't think Customer Service with macs has been mentioned yet. all their agents are based in the US, their support is unbeatable and they're usually ranked at the very top for a reason.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
it doesn't need changing. im more happy with this macbook than any other computer i've ever owned. the only windows based pc i'd buy over this that TRULY is superior, would be an Asus computer... wanna talk about "premiums"? I'm sure you've seen the prices.

Oh, I didn't know you were referring to most PC manufacturers.

Yeah, most of them go nuts. It's why I build my computers.
Coming from a guy who uses photoshop, recording, music making programs and stuff: if you absolutely must get a mac, get one with a bigger screen, 17" minimum. Unless you want to be driven insane by the small screen.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Page 1 of 3