My dad has an old JCM 800 Lead Series Marshall tube head. I would like to replace the tubes in it so I can get a lot of volume out of it and a good clean tone. I plan on running a distortion pedal into it for wel...you guessed it, my distortion.

So what tubes should I look into?
And if you have any recomendations on a good distortion pedal please do tell. I'm looking for something under $75.
Thanks in advanced
This space has been intentionally left blank.
This is not going to end well. Prepare to be flamed.

But really

-Does it not work right now?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
This is not going to end well. Prepare to be flamed.

But really

-Does it not work right now?

It works but I have been told to look into replacement tubes. This amp used to be my dads so its been around for a while and the tubes have never been replaced.
This space has been intentionally left blank.
I suppose you want a distortion pedal to switch between cleans and distortion, right? You don't need a distortion pedal with a JCM 800. Instead, you roll down your volume knob to get cleans.

As for tubes, JJs and Marshalls seem to go over well. NOS Mullards would be even better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Dude. If it's working fine, and all you need are tubes... you wont need a distortion pedal.

Maybe an OD to tighten it up. Depend's on what you are going for. That thing (again, if it's working right) will have plenty-O-balls on the distortion front.

What kind of sound are you going for band-wise?

Look up the amp on youtube to get an idea of what it can do.
Kerry King's sig amp is a JCM 800, albeit modern and modified, but it's still an 800 - and he don't use no distortion pedal.
Last edited by 667 at Sep 25, 2009,
lol ***? You want to use a JCM800 for cleans and run a distortion pedal through it?

EDIT: wut is censored.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If I understand you correctly, I would look at some Tung Sol power tubes and maybe consider a 12AT7 preamp tube in V2. You may need all fresh preamp tubes anyway. How old is this amp and when was the last time it got a fresh set of tubes and re-bias?

For disti pedals, I recommend a clean boosting Overdrive pedal like a Maxon 808, Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey. Set the Gain at 0 and the Level at 10 and you are golden my friend.