im looking at a byo guitar kit and its body is made of basswood, and i hear some bad things about that ... also i want to fit it with floyd rose, it is a strat style thing, i have all the things i want for it picked out so when i get money i can build it and have my dream strat, just want to know if fender floyd roses are better/worse then actual floyd roses and if basswood isnt worth dicl< all
Basswood guitars are light, that's one of reasons as to why basswood guitars are made. It's not suited for everyone's tone tastes. A floating Floyd is more flexible. Woods resonate differently, so you're going to hear differences, and everyone has a personal taste. I'm a mahogany man, but I hear swamp ash and alder are great. I have a couple basswood guitars, I wouldn't say they're bad guitars (although the wood underneath the paint looks like yellow crap), I just prefer the weight and tone of mahogany compared to basswood.
Last edited by XeroDivide at Sep 25, 2009,
"It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Sound-wise, Basswood has a nice, growley, warm tone with good mids. A favorite tone wood for shredders in the 80s since its defined sound cuts through a mix well." Quoted from the Warmoth guitar site. So good tone, but not a very strong wood. I'm not sure what youre paying for the kit but guitar fetish offers a strat style kit for $90. I'm not too sure about the qualities of Paulowina as it's also a lightweight wood, but a fellow UGer bought a GFS kit and the builg came out nice. Try giving that a look
Basswood is flat sounding and light. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Fender doesn't make floyd roses. For future reference, a floyd rose is a brand of tremolos, as are fender and ibanez tremolos. A fender style tremolo is not the same kind as a floyd rose (also called a floating tremolo), so it doesn't do divebombs and squealies well. If you want divebombs and squealies then get a floyd rose equipped guitar. A floyd rose will not fit into the hole for a fender style tremolo, so you can either route the hole so it fits or you can get a guitar where it will fit.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Basswood + Double Locking Trems work FINE

almost any Ibanez RG with an Edge or Edge Pro, Lo Pro, etc are made primarily out of basswood.

Hell, I think Vai uses the combination on his own guitars, I have a 7 string RG with a Double locking trem, works fine

As long as you route everything right, mount it correctly, and dont screw up the springs, etc; youll be good to go
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Basswood is actually a great fit for double locking trems. I read somewhere that basswood and alder's dry and even tone helps take away some of the nasaliness commonly associated with double locking trems, which is why you basically never see a solid mahogany guitar with a floyd as it is already a nasally wood to begin with. Satch and Vai both use basswood in their guitars (though Vai uses alder too) and pretty much all Jackson and Ibanez guitars that have double lockers on them are basswood or alder, unless they are mahogany with a maple top.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by xstillspinninx
Basswood is actually a great fit for double locking trems. I read somewhere that basswood and alder's dry and even tone helps take away some of the nasaliness commonly associated with double locking trems, which is why you basically never see a solid mahogany guitar with a floyd as it is already a nasally wood to begin with. Satch and Vai both use basswood in their guitars (though Vai uses alder too) and pretty much all Jackson and Ibanez guitars that have double lockers on them are basswood or alder, unless they are mahogany with a maple top.

Funny u should say that ive seen five LPs with FR fitted into them today and they looked awesome.

FRs are fine with basswood like someone said about Ibanezes and a few jacksons and ltds are basswood/FR. You wont find and OFR in basswood, morelikley in alder/ash guitars
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50