I have a chord progression going and I'm not exactly sure how to figure out what scale I should be playing over top of it. The chord progression is as follows:

Dm/E, Am/E, C/E, Em
seems like you're in Am. A minor pentatonic is of course very popular, but I'd suggest using the A harmonic minor scale for something awesome. Each time the progression changes to a new chord make sure the down beat is hitting a note inside of the chord underneath it.

edit: Guess I should word the part about chord melody differently. It sounds very appealing to the ears if the down beats of your riff are notes from the chord being played underneath it. Wasn't trying to say that's mandatory, just a suggestion.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Last edited by 3holepunch at Sep 26, 2009,
What scale should you play? None. You play what sounds good. If it doesn't fall in a scale, cool. If it does, cool. If it sounds good, it is good.

But Am would be a good start. Just don't get boxed in.
sing over it
play what ya sang
cool.
Quote by 3holepunch
seems like you're in Am. A minor pentatonic is of course very popular, but I'd suggest using the A harmonic minor scale for something awesome. Each time the progression changes to a new chord make sure the down beat is hitting a note inside of the chord underneath it.

^ignore this guy
Last edited by hitlerbro69 at Sep 26, 2009,

Ignore EVERYONE

The songs obviously in E minor - the constant E pedal note is kind of a hint, the progression is also building towards resolving on that Em chord and all the chords are in the key of Em. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest Am.

TS, use E minor or E minor pentatonic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by hitlerbro69
sing over it
play what ya sang
cool.

^ignore this guy

Why is that?

Also every chord in his progression falls in am. If it was in Em, dm would be d major if you're being diatonic no? And why would a progression start with a 7th chord then go to the fourth, that's awful voice leading.

Am all the way.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

The Dm is a borrowed chord then, but it's not in Am minor because it's got E running all the way through it.

Replace the E with an A pedal note and then it's going to be A minor.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dude, 3holepunch, it doesn't matter whether the chords fit in the key. It's Em.
i don't know why i feel so dry
lol that makes no sense at all seagull. Just cause he's abusing the E note doesn't mean it's in Em, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Why would you say it's in Em when you'd be borrowing chords/changing notes when all the notes already fit in Am and the progression moves like an Am progression would, ending on the 5th. The pedal note does not denote the key.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

That doesn't mean it's in Em

While the tonic is most often resolved too, the next most often is the dominant. Em is the dominant chord of Am.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

What the fuck? Yes it does. A scale resolves on the tonic. That's the whole point. Also, you don't resolve a piece of music, it resolves itself. Resolution is a phenomenon, not a technique.
Guess I worded it wrong. Resolve is the wrong word maybe, but a song can end on the dominant chord (Authentic Half, in this case the C would act as a vi-I substitution for am). It may leave you wanting more but it's completely acceptable and used. Often times songs end on the sixth chord too (deceptive cadence).

And what is the point of your "you won't resolve a piece of music etc?" Is that you're attempt at giving yourself credibility or something? Whoever said resolution was a technique??
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

Resolution doesn't have to do with what chord it ends on. Resolution is when all tension is released. In this case, that's Em. You can safely ignore the last part of my post. I didn't word it incredibly well, I can't think of a better way.
I agree with you, I clearly worded my post wrong before as well. But if you play the chords as he has them it doesn't sound very resolved to me.

edit: try playing those four chords then throw down another am at the end, it sounds a thousand times more resolved.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

It's pretty weak, your right. But it does resolve at some point (obviously. You can't just throw together 4 chords and get something atonal) and I believe that to be Em. So, it's in the key of E minor.
check my edit

I guess you could also say the progression is using E Phrygian. But it's still not Em.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87