Hello pit,
I am interested in learning a programming language, i have no previous expriance, although i don't know if it makes a difference i do know HTML and CSS, i have been l,ooking for information on which language to start with, and i generally find that Python is reccomended, but i don't see many applcations of the code anywhare, i'd like to learn a code that will still be in use in 5-10 years time,
so, please reccomend me with a programing language to start with, and if so with a reason why that language is recconmende

ps: sorry if my wording is shi**y
You are free to do what we tell you.
Last edited by Finis at Sep 26, 2009,
You can try the HTML help thread. I think that's what you're asking for.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
You can try the HTML help thread. I think that's what you're asking for.

HTML isn't a programming language, and i already know it, im a part-time web desinger
Quote by Holy Katana
C is a good first language, since it's still widely used.

Why C and not C++?
Quote by Finis
HTML isn't a programming language, and i already know it, im a part-time web desinger

Shows how much I know. I thought you were asking for HTML help and CSS.
*leaves*
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
if you catch on to things fast I recommend starting out with Java right off the bat.

It's really difficult to get your head around though, so don't underestimate it. I started my grade 10 AP computer science with Scheme, then went to Java, and Java was near impossible for me to understand, and I struggled all through my grade 12 AP course because I couldn't visualize the codes and programs I was writing, and constant errors messages made me want to commit suicide. I did good on the written exam though (by remembering specific codes :P), so I passed.

But almost everything computer-related uses Java, so you won't be wasting any time getting into it.

BTW HTML has nothing to do with programming, It looks like you knew that already though.
Last edited by Tedward at Sep 26, 2009,
Java's not a bad place to start.

edit: dammit tedward.....
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
HTML and CSS are interpreted languages (browsers are needed to interpret them).
C is a good place to start because it will teach you Object Oriented Programming, and the mindset that's required to be effective.

C++ is a bit advanced.... You should really look into C before you tackle C++, Java, or any other OOP..
Quote by Vikingx
HTML and CSS are interpreted languages (browsers are needed to interpret them).

technically anything higher level than assembly is interpreted in some way.
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by vartanspartan
technically anything higher level than assembly is interpreted in some way.

True... but there's a world of difference between assembly and HTML isn't there?

What I was pointing out was you don't need to know how to compile for HTML or CSS. It's a different world.
Quote by Vikingx
True... but there's a world of difference between assembly and HTML isn't there?

What I was pointing out was you don't need to know how to compile for HTML or CSS. It's a different world.

Yeah, I know, HTML is a markup language. I was just being a smartass.
Quote by Trowzaa
Vb.net, my friend told me it was good to start with, as I'm a beginner as well
Learn C, don't learn a scripting language... and don't mistake a markup language for a programming language
Start with C, once you learn one language it's easy to learn the others. and for the information, python is used a lot in UNIX based systems, also google, youtube and BitTorrent to name a few. that being said, python and C do have a lot in common.