In music, there is a term called "Consonance and dissonance", correct? And many musicians use this to their advantage to create "tension" in their music that they "resolve" with consonant notes/chords.
What is considered dissonant? All the notes outside of the scale which a melody is in/you are currently playing? 7th chords?
How do I use consonance and dissonance to make my melodies more exciting?
n music, there is a term called "Consonance and dissonance", correct?
ya
And many musicians use this to their advantage to create "tension" in their music that they "resolve" with consonant notes/chords.
ya bro
What is considered dissonant?
all sorts of thigns man
All the notes outside of the scale which a melody is in/you are currently playing?
sometimes
7th chords?
depends on context
How do I use consonance and dissonance to make my melodies more exciting?
listen to people, imitate
Yeah pretty much anything outside of the scale you're using
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Well to hear what dissonance is play an A note on 5th fret E string, at the same time play a G# on 6th fret D string. You can hear that the G# wants to resolve to the A on the 7th fret D string. This is what dissonance sounds like, and one way to resolve it.
imo read my post that explains absolutely nothing until you "get" it and then you will get it. problem solved.
Quote by hitlerbro69
imo read my post that explains absolutely nothing until you "get" it and then you will get it. problem solved.

It would've helped if you further elaborated on some points though, that way he'd "get it" alot quicker.
Quote by hitlerbro69

your post sucks you faggot nazi wannabe

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Please no flaming or trolling.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Consonant intervals are 3rds 5ths, 6ths and octaves. Dissonances are 2nds, and 7ths, and according to fux, though it be initially a strange thought, 4ths are treated as dissonances in polyphony as well. That is harmonic tension. Melodic tension is created by use of certain scale degrees within the given key. For example, the 4th and the 7th scale degree are both the most unstable and pull respectively to the 3rd and to tonic. It can be understood in tonal music that all tones outside of the tonic triad function effectively as tensions. Outside notes then are obviously dissonant.

Briefly noted, there is also rhythmic tension which is most easily created by the use of polyrhythms (such as 3 against 2) and polymeters (regularly changing meter from say 4/4 to 5/4) but can also be created through the use of sudden rests and syncopation.

That's all cut and dry stuff. I encourage you to play certain harmonic intervals and chords, like harmonic 2nds and 7th chords and ask yourself the question, 'does this sound stable? Could I stop here and the music sound resolved?' Experiment with all the chords and intervals you know and let your ear be your guide.