I can get a Laney Cub 10 10W all-tube amp for about 170 USD, which is HELLA CHEAP. Do you think I could get some metal sounds (think Trivium, Metallica, All that remains) out of this amp putting a TS-9 or OCD in front of it, to add to the gain it already has?

How would the sound it compare to the HT-5?

The cub lacks an FX loop and the ability to connect to an external cabinet..
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Actually, I was wrong. The Cub does have an output for external speakers.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Bumpity bump..
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

From the demos I've heard, the cub's not voiced for metal - I don't know how much an external cab would help. Maybe an EQ and a distortion pedal in front of it will help - but for the money you'd spend on all of that, you might as well get something like a Flextone or the HT-5.
I really don't think it's going to work well for metal.

It may be a valve amp, but don't think that automatically makes it a good choice - a cheap solid-state/modeller could sound better if it's voiced for the styles you play.
HT-5 it is then!

Paired up with an OCD? OD808? Bad monkey? HT-DUAL? Need some help deciding on a pedal. I just need the OD to tighten up the gain on the HT-5 for when i get it. Trying to achieve modern metal sounds, but I'm also buying the HT-5 for its versatility. I want to able to play all styles of music...my music tastes keep changing lol.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Dude why didn't you create a new topic since this one is hella old ?

I play on a cub 10 so I can only speak about it. What I can tell you is that it sounds pretty good if it's the tone you're after. It really enjoy it for everything bluesy, hard rock etc... I should warn you though, even with maximum gain, it's not really easy to get an overdriven sound. This might alo come from my pickups, I don't know...

So to cut long story short, if you're planning on playing heavy stuff, you'll need a pedal. The good news is that it loves pedals. Last warning, in terms of tone, it might not be the best amp for metal.

In my opinion, it's a good tube amp, and for the price, there aren't so many alternatives. It's definitely worth its money !
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
you can get a pretty cool tone for the Foo Fighters. I like to play everlong and best of you, and it sounds good for my standards.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Oct 1, 2010,
No matter how much gain you put, it still sounds relatively clean. With my guitar at least, it's even tough to bring it into classic hard rock territory. Maybe I should check again plugged in the high input, since I mainly use the low one that I think sounds better. Actually the reason why I'm not sure is because most of the time I don't even bother trying because the second problem is that with gain @ 10 and volume at 2, it gets allready realtively loud, it's more confortable to just switch you pedal on.

I think you kinda need the pedal when you don't want to play clean with this amp... but it sound killer with my muff pi so I don't complain.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3