Bought a used '07 mim strat last sunday just with the stock pick ups. Heard that stock pickups are rubbish compared to after market ones, and seeing as these pickups sound so much better than the strat copies I've played, I'm curious as to what they would sound like with better pickups. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably relatively cheap ones as I'm rather poor at the moment lol. I want something very strat sounding and want a nice 'quack'. Thanks
Don't cheap out and buy crap pickups now, save up and buy some really good ones later. Cheap ones won't sound too much better than your stock ones, but get some nice ones and they will transform your strat.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Probably be the way to go. Anything in mind? I have been playing for about 3 years so don't really know anything, but what is a good price for pickups? I buy all my guitars second hand, could I get second hand pickups or not much point?
Seymour Duncan Antiquities are awesome. A little pricey, but worth it.
There's my way and the wrong way.
My favorite Strat pickups are Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Amazing in every way.
Cheers everyone, will look into them. I was also wondering if, as I had only played metal until I bought the strat, if I could put in a single-sized humbucker, that can play iron maiden and the likes, while still retaining the original strat sound?
You can, but it will affect the sound slightly. The main problem is that generally true single coils (IMO the only way to get a REAL Strat sound) are used with 250k pots, while humbuckers are usually used with 500k pots or they tend to sound dark. You could put a humbucker (I recommend a Dimarzio Super Distortion S) in with your existing pots and see how it sounds, if you do switch to a 500k pot it will brighten the guitars overall tone a bit. Not that big a deal.
I imagine that I'd chuck it in the bridge? would I still get that nice quack they get when you put the selector onto bridge/middle p-up? I've heard that the super distortions are very nice, that might be a possibility. I think I should probably stick with singles though, I bought the strat for a strat sound, I have an ibanez for my metal stuff, I shouldn't be greedy and go for two metal guitars...
Quote by Mikey_R
I imagine that I'd chuck it in the bridge? would I still get that nice quack they get when you put the selector onto bridge/middle p-up? I've heard that the super distortions are very nice, that might be a possibility. I think I should probably stick with singles though, I bought the strat for a strat sound, I have an ibanez for my metal stuff, I shouldn't be greedy and go for two metal guitars...

Probably not as much as it would've before the switch. I've got a Dimarzio Virtual Solo, a stacked single coil, in the bridge of my Strat, and it doesn't have as much of that quack as, say, the 4th position with the neck and middle. Pluss, the 2nd position will hum now too.
Quote by Mikey_R
Heard that stock pickups are rubbish compared to after market ones,

How about playing it yourself and letting yourself be the judge of that ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Reckon that it is much more versitile though, with the added bucker?
Quote by Tatsumaru
How about playing it yourself and letting yourself be the judge of that ...

Yea thats what I meant though, when I play it and compare it to what I consider crap, it sounds awesome. But the fact that people say it is bad compared to after market pickups, I wonder how much better it could sound with the better pickups
Quote by Mikey_R
Yea thats what I meant though, when I play it and compare it to what I consider crap, it sounds awesome. But the fact that people say it is bad compared to after market pickups, I wonder how much better it could sound with the better pickups

Your right ... sorry for being an asshole

I actually felt the same way when i brought my mim strat...

Now i think its my ****ty amp holding me back
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

haha thats all good. You have stocks on yours? I just noticed yours is same year as mine, you pretty happy with it?
I think you should look into Fender Custom shop '69s. They sound really good clean. Maybe try Bare Knuckles if you can?

Where are you located anyway? that dictates how expensive certain pickups will be for you.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Custom shops sounded pretty good, could only find bare knuckle tele reviews. Probably cos I'm not very patient lol. Any idea how much a custom shop 69 cost? Australian lol
Gear:
-2007 MIM Fender Strat
-Ibanez RG321
-Fender acoustic electric
-SX acoustic
-no amp...
yea Australia where I am located sorry people
Gear:
-2007 MIM Fender Strat
-Ibanez RG321
-SX acoustic
-no amp...
Quote by Mikey_R
Custom shops sounded pretty good, could only find bare knuckle tele reviews. Probably cos I'm not very patient lol. Any idea how much a custom shop 69 cost? Australian lol

I only know that they are relatively cheap in England, but I'm sure it's the same in Australia.
Sweet as, I'll check them out. Also, any idea of what kinda amp would be good for clean sounds with my strat, but still do my Ibanez justice with metal? Once again, cheap is good haha, I wash dishes for my guitars...
Gear:
-2007 MIM Fender Strat
-Ibanez RG321
-SX acoustic
-no amp...
Ignore what you've "heard".

Make your own decision based on whether or not you like the sound your guitar makes. If it sounds awesome to you already then don't waste your money...new pickups don't automatically make a guitar sound"better", but they nearly always make it sound different, and you may not like different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 26, 2009,
Yea I might not end up changing them just cos I already like it. I'm just curious about what the very best sound is I can get out of it. I suppose most of the sound is really in the amp anyway haha
Gear:
-2007 MIM Fender Strat
-Ibanez RG321
-SX acoustic
-no amp...
Well yes, if you don't even have an amp then that takes priority ever so slightly....that's like worrying about what tyres to get for your car when it doesn't have an engine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Mikey_R
haha thats all good. You have stocks on yours? I just noticed yours is same year as mine, you pretty happy with it?

I am definitely glad that i brought it. I was really impressed with the quality when i first got but it wasn't setup that good. After making a few adjustments it plays alot better.

I do have stock pickups at the moment. Mines sss. It sounded pretty good through my bro's ac15
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

Yea hahaha, but knowing me I'd be checkin my tyres. Yea playin it through a little crappy solid state marshal practise amp at my school it sounds pretty sweet though, and schools only buy crap lol
Gear:
-2007 MIM Fender Strat
-Ibanez RG321
-SX acoustic
-no amp...
Yea I might get mine professionally set up, but it still plays pretty good aye. I'm real stoked at it, and my mates are like whoa, a real strat?? haha. I got it used and don't know what strings he has on it, but they much thicker than my normal 10's. I kinda hate them, much harder to bend and the sound is a bit different? probably nothin to do with strings actually haha. Is it only when you have a floyd that changing string gauges requires a set up?
Gear:
-2007 MIM Fender Strat
-Ibanez RG321
-SX acoustic
-no amp...
Quote by Mikey_R
I kinda hate them, much harder to bend and the sound is a bit different? probably nothin to do with strings actually haha. Is it only when you have a floyd that changing string gauges requires a set up?

0.09's are the stock gauge, if theres 0.11 or 0.12 they would be pretty hard to bend.

Quote by Mikey_R
Is it only when you have a floyd that changing string gauges requires a set up?

No it applies to all guitars. Although you could probably get away with it if you change down 1 size. like 0.10 to 0.09.

Although considering thats its second hand and you dont really know what the previous guitar owner did too it (apart from stuffing your wammy bar up) it might be worth getting it set up professionally.

Or you could tinker around with it yourself in your spare time.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

Can I ask why you're buying new pickups when your sig says you have no amp?...
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by stratman7
My favorite Strat pickups are Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Amazing in every way.

Good choice but you might also want to look at these:

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleSB.asp

My teacher has these ones and they are amazing--plays them through a Mark V.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue