Hi! I just wanted to know if the B-52 AT112 Combo is the same EXACT thing as the B-52 AT100 head. Lets say I already have the combo, would it be pretty useless to get the head, because it basically dials in the same tone?

The reason I'm asking is because I hook up my B-52 AT112 combo to an Avatar 2x12 cab. And whenever I play somewhere, it's a huge pain getting both the combo AND the cab moved, so I'm looking for a head, which is more lightweight and convenient.

And so that leads me to, should I get the B-52 AT100 (and sell my combo of course)? Or should I just save up for something I really want like the Mesa single or dual rectifier?

Thanks
the tone of the head is basically the same.

are you really playing venues big enough to need that cabinet? if so: you should be able to mic it. if not: don't use the cab. you don't need to show off how cool your gear is or anything. some of the best guitarists i know have really ****ty gear, but they're amazing and that's all anyone cares about.

so, my answer for you: just use your 1x12 combo and save up til you can get the amp that you want. if nothing else, just raise/angle your amp upwards a bit.
Quote by climhazzard
don't use the cab. you don't need to show off how cool your gear is or anything
lol, he isn't using an 8x12 or anything. Personally, I think that more than 1x12 adds a different dimension to the music. I bet the difference between the combo and the head isn't too much; go for it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
the kid's 16 years old. what kind of places do you think he's playing? what logical reasons are there for bringing a 2x12 cabinet along with a 1x12 combo if he's only playing tiny venues? if you're playing big clubs, OP, than i retract all of this (though you should then be able to mic up your 1x12). but really the only reason to lug that cab around is because it looks "cool"er. not blaming the OP; i thought something similar when i was in high school.
Quote by climhazzard
but really the only reason to lug that cab around is because it looks "cool"er.
Thats not true though. If he was trying to look like the next Kerry King, sure, but its only 2x12. Not that people know tone anyways, but its a personal thing. Tone is definantly reason enough to lug a 2x12. If its simply way too much work, I think you should get a bowflex or something, and try to make up for years of malnutrition.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
because everyone around here really knows tone. i'll bet fewer than 2% do.

and no, it's not too much work for me. i'm just too busy getting paid to engineer sound in hollywood.
I've honestly never played both side-by-side, so I can't tell you how close they sound. If you're using a different cab with the head, with different speakers than in the combo, it's going to sound different though.

IMO, I'd just sell the head you have now and take the money you were going to spend on the combo and buy a Mesa DC-5 combo, or spend a little more for a Recto-Verb and call it a day.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had a b-52 for a long time. And one of the transformers blew out in it. It took over a month from b-52 to get the part. Worst customer service I've ever had. During this time, I went out and bought a Mesa head. Best decision I've ever made. I think the b-52 has more gain honestly, but I think the mesa has a better sound overall. If you dont need the cabinet, I'd try to grab one of their 1 or 2x12 express combos. I used one to record my bands cd. It was pretty nice.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've honestly never played both side-by-side, so I can't tell you how close they sound. If you're using a different cab with the head, with different speakers than in the combo, it's going to sound different though.

IMO, I'd just sell the head you have now and take the money you were going to spend on the combo and buy a Mesa DC-5 combo, or spend a little more for a Recto-Verb and call it a day.

i think you got the opposite idea . i have the combo (b-52 at112) and i wanna sell it to get the head (b-52 at100), because bringing both the combo AND my cab is too much work, and i'd rather just get the head.

and don't get me wrong, i love the sound I get from my combo, so if the AT-100 can offer something a little better from what the combo offers, i'd be satisfied.

and the REASON for me lugging around my cab WITH the combo isn't to just look cool. it's actually because of tone. the b-52 comes with one speaker, and i don't think it's that great at all; but if i hook it up to my 2x12 with V-30's, the tone changes A LOT, the the sound seems to spread out more.
Chuck the speaker in the combo, that'll lighten your load while you save for a better amp. Going from the combo to the head isn't gonna be a huge difference
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not