i have an epiphone les paul (emg 81 25th year aniverssary set)
a roland cube 20x
and a MT-2

but when i play solos or in that area, it sounds very electric and mono and crappy, whats causing that i cant really explain the sound but i dont like it :P
The amp, SS's usually do. Try upgrading to a tube amp
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by innertom
your amp?

I've got the same amp, you should be able to get a decent tone out of it.
For solos, I mostly play on the metal setting, and try messing around a bit with the delay and reverb.
get a reverb or chorus pedal
...Fender + Ritchie Blackmore = hours and hours of GREAT music and guitar execusions...
Have you got the guitar on the neck pickup, or both? That normally gives it a smoother sounder. Also, if using the MT-2 for the solo, maybe boost the mids and back off the gain a bit.
Last edited by Rokeman at Sep 26, 2009,
crappy amp, crappy pedal, active pickups causing clipping, too much gain - those are your problems.

You need to get a decent tube amp and ditch the MT2.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 26, 2009,
Active pups + SS = a really bad fuzzy sound. You should get a tube amp.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
in my experience EMGs sound fine through the 20x. use the "metal stack" setting and ditch the MT-2.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
if i dont use my pedal i get a the lamest sound ever then even rhythm stuff sounds crap, maybe i need to clean it or something if so how do i do that cause its really getting quite annoying that the sound sucks with my pedal i have pretty good sound i play metallica (no solos) and that sounds good but withouth the pedal it sound crap
Quote by ITF Deceiver
if i dont use my pedal i get a the lamest sound ever then even rhythm stuff sounds crap, maybe i need to clean it or something if so how do i do that cause its really getting quite annoying that the sound sucks with my pedal i have pretty good sound i play metallica (no solos) and that sounds good but withouth the pedal it sound crap

Just mess around with your amp, use different channels/amp models, use EQ, etc. Or just get a tube.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
when's the last time you changed the battery in your guitar ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
what kind off you think is good for metallica be reasonable with the price so not somehting like 1000 bucks
I have a Roland Cube and I get a very good sound without pedals. You just need to play a bit with the settings.
Quote by ITF Deceiver
can you post your settings and do ou have a 20x?
I have the 60W version, but it's almost the same. My settings are:

Bass: 6
Middle: 9
Treble: 3
Gain: 7
Presence: 1
Amp Model: R-Fier

No pedals, no effects. My sound is very full and rich, amazing for metal rhythm and good for solos too. I play a Gibson Explorer '76 and a Jackson RR3, both on bridge pickup and with volume at 5-7 and tone at 10. Sometimes when I solo I switch pickup and activate the delay.
Last edited by Poglia at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by ITF Deceiver
isnt the roland cube 20x a tube amp, and whats an ss amp

solid state amps use silicon based transistors

tube amps use tubes (sometimes called valves).

a pic of valves/tubes in the back of a amp

Tube amps sound "warmer" and work better with active pickups but they are more expensive.
SS amps usually sound more digital, but they are popular beginner amps because they tend to have more effects and options built in.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
ive heard that the peavey vypyr 75 is pretty good i can get it for 300 euros, thats about 420 dollars i think is that a normal price?
Vypyr is also solid state.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
if you want a good tube amp your gonna have to spend a good £500, i know for a fact tho that you can get a Bugera 6262 212 tube amp from a store in the UK for £369 which is like just under $600
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
the one in that pic that i posted is a valveking 212 (actual pic of mine)

normally tube amplifiers are stated as such in their description

so anything that say tube or valve in their specs.

as a price guide tube amps start at around £300 and can be as much as £2000. this largely depends on brand and features.

also look for key phrases identifying tubes- 12ax7,6l6gc, 12at7,el84,el34 etc...

some solid state amps will advertise "the true sound of a tube amp" etc.. anything that says this probably is a modelling amp like a cube,spider,vypyr.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 26, 2009,