When I play, I usually rest the side of my right hand on the bridge of the guitar. This is anchoring, correct? When I play any other way (aside from doing solos, or something) it feels extremely awkward and, sometimes, becomes agitating to my wrist. What exactly is the benefit in keeping the side of my palm off the bridge?
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
As far as my playing goes, I can't jump between different strings as well if the side of my palm is resting on the bridge.
Just because it's simple, doesn't mean it's bad.
Resting your hand on the bridge is ok, but you should be able to play without resting your hand anyway, as it'll just throw the tuning on some guitars off.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
It's not there all the time just... usually. I palm mute a note, but it's also there when I do clean riffs and such, sometimes when I sweep, etc.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
TC
It's not anchoring if your hand moves as you pick. For example, if you move up two strings, there is only a problem if your hand is not free to move around a little when you pick. Also, unless I'm terrible at remembering what people have said, most people on here recommend you rest the side of your hand against the bridge or strings to mute the lower ones. That way, if you're playing on the high e-string and mistakenly hit the B-string, you won't get excess noise.
It depends on what you're doing as to whether or not that's anchoring. If you're actually pressing down with your right hand then it's anchoring, however, if your hand is merely touching the strings it's not (it's muting).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by ReinventingEvil
When I play, I usually rest the side of my right hand on the bridge of the guitar. This is anchoring, correct? When I play any other way (aside from doing solos, or something) it feels extremely awkward and, sometimes, becomes agitating to my wrist. What exactly is the benefit in keeping the side of my palm off the bridge?

This is not anchoring..this is palm muting. Anchoring would be like resting your pinky on the guitar the hole time.

Which is not good because as it might make you play better if you learned to play without anchoring you could play way better and easier.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by King of King V
This is not anchoring..this is palm muting. Anchoring would be like resting your pinky on the guitar the hole time.

Which is not good because as it might make you play better if you learned to play without anchoring you could play way better and easier.

It's possible to have your hand on the bridge without palm muting. He made a distinction between this and palm muting, so he's not palm muting.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.