Does anyone know any website where you can design a logo for free? all I can find are places that like charge you almost £30!!! to make a logo.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
The band logo thread in Promote your Band? But then someone else makes it. Get a program called Gimp is you're hell bent on making it yourself.
Are you aware of how much time, effort and skill goes into making a good band logo? £30 is nothing, the going rate is more like £100+ on many sites.

If you want to do it yourself, get a copy of Inkscape or GIMP and be prepared to spend at least a few weeks leanring the software before you can create anything that doesn't look like ****. There's no online designer I've ever seen that doesn't look rubbish.

You have to accept that as a rule, quality = time, and time = money. My company does a special rate for UG members, £15, and you'll be lucky to get cheaper than that.

Your other option would be to find someone studying design at uni/college and persuade them to do you a logo as part of their studies.

Here's an old post of mine, some of it might be of use to you!

Kyle's quick and dirty guide to DIY album cover design:

1) Get some editing software
If you haven't got access to Photoshop, PSP, PS Elements or similar, 'GIMP' is a good freeware one to try. You can probably pick up an older version of Photoshop (7 is a good one) on eBay for a small price.

2) Decide on packaging

Work out how you're going to package the CD and then download the appropriate template here. You've got two main choices here;a regular jewel case (the ones you get albums in) or a slim jewel case (these are usually used for singles and demos). The printing for each is somewhat different.

For standard cases, you'll need:
-151x120mm rear tray insert
-120x120mm or 240x120mm front cover/liner notes (can be single sheet or booklet) [Optional]

For slim cases, you need:
240x120mm front cover/liner notes

If that doesn't make much sense, have a look at some CD cases so you understand how it all fits together.

3) Make some sketches
Talk with the band and decide what you'd like on your cover. For example, you might want a large picture of a skull on the front, with the band's name in small letters on the bottom right corner. If you're new to design, keep it really simple.

4) Get your source image
The quickest and simplest way of doing it is to use a suitable royalty-free image for the cover. Have a look on a stock photo site (stock.xchng is a good free one) and download any images you'd like to use. Don't use pictures taken from the internet unless you have full permission to use them. If so, the resolution should be at least 2000x2000.

5) Find some fonts
Go on DaFont.com and type your band's name into the 'custom preview' box. HAve a look through the different fonts in all the sections, and if there's any you like, download them and install them in the Windows 'fonts' folder.

6) Put it all together
Open up the CD template in your image editor, and then import the photo you downloaded earlier, or use a plain coloured background. Use the text tool to add your band/album name to the image with your new fonts. Play around with the effects and controls until you're happy with the look. The better you know the software, the more you'll be able to do.

7) Save your cover
Ideally, you should save your album cover as a PDF, JPEG or TIFF in CMYK colour, at 300DPI. A high-resolution JPEG image will usually suffice for most places.
I agree - £30 is nothing! I do logo design myself

Its not too hard - a free eding program (or a 30 day trial) and just mess around with it for an hour or so...get used to all the functions etc and knock something up
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
I agree - £30 is nothing! I do logo design myself

Its not too hard - a free eding program (or a 30 day trial) and just mess around with it for an hour or so...get used to all the functions etc and knock something up

Or GIMP its free and can be just as good as Photoshop if you know what you are doing and follow the tuts.

Band logo's only consist of Font anyway xD well really thats all it is.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
lol graphic design is a professional service...not a commodity. I didn't go to school for 4 years and work in the professional graphic design arena for 2.5 to give logos away. When I do logos, they start at $250 and go up from there. You'd be hard pressed to find someone, trained, equipped, and with the proper knowledge of the principles of graphic design, branding, and corporate identity that would disregard the $40,000+ that he spent to get his degree to make logos for $30. Good luck.

Kyle62- your list is fine except for #1 should read:
1.) Get an education as a graphic designer so you can know the principles of design.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
Quote by Roxor_Mc0wnage
lol graphic design is a professional service...not a commodity. I didn't go to school for 4 years and work in the professional graphic design arena for 2.5 to give logos away. When I do logos, they start at $250 and go up from there. You'd be hard pressed to find someone, trained, equipped, and with the proper knowledge of the principles of graphic design, branding, and corporate identity that would disregard the $40,000+ that he spent to get his degree to make logos for $30. Good luck.

1.) Get an education as a graphic designer so you can know the principles of design.

Haha, i agree - the list is aimed at getting a rough design at a pinch, but it's no substitute for knowing what you're doing. The whole 'DIY revolution' has one massive flaw - people forget that you need to put in time, as well as money and enthusiasm.

I see the same problem with home recording all the time - people saying 'I've got $1000 to spend on recording equipment, how do I get a good sound?'.
All the fancy gear is useless unless someone is willing to spend at the very least a few months studying the basics of audio production first. For the same price you could hire a really professional studio....
Yeah but a for a band that is just playing covers, it is pretty pointless getting a logo made when you can make one yourself.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
Yeah but a for a band that is just playing covers, it is pretty pointless getting a logo made when you can make one yourself.

Depends if you're actually capable of making a high-quality logo yourself. To a cover band, £30 is nothing - we pick up at least £160 a night.
Quote by Roxor_Mc0wnage

This^ I only did graphic design as an AS level but I feel comfortable saying that just buying photoshop and messing around won't lead to a professional looking result.

£30 Isn't really much at all If you're serious too.