I know this is asked a lot but I need help with what to learn next

I've been playing for about 3-4 months on acoustic guitar and I can do open chords and I can switch between them in time. I can do barre chords but I'm still getting used to switching from open chords to barre chords. I can do basic alternate picking and I know a few scales, including major, minor, major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, blues, and a few more. Not really bothered about fingerpicking but I can do most simple fingerpicked songs. As for theory I know all the notes on the fretboard but that's about it. I don't know which chords are in which key, etc.

I'm getting an electric guitar soon but before I do I want to make sure I can play most simple acoustic songs as well as a bit of theory so I can improvise with them or create my own chord progressions.

So I know I have a lot to lean but I don't know what I should focus on at the moment. Theory, alternate picking, chords, improvising ?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Learn all the major and minor chords at least, you seem pretty good theory wise for now, and work on alternate picking.

I think you should work on technique for now, you seem pretty solid when it comes to theory.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Pick a song which you really enjoy and learn it! I find learning a song you love is really motivating and you'll be surprised how your technique improves. Also, as far as theory goes, I would learn how scales are constructed, ie what makes up a major pitch collection as well as a minor etc.

MusicTheory.net is a great site for theory if you're interested
The CAGED system for scales and chords. How to harmonize a scale which makes progressions easier. Do you know the scales in all positions?

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by Tenacious D'er
The CAGED system for scales and chords. How to harmonize a scale which makes progressions easier. Do you know the scales in all positions?

No. I know the minor pentatonic in 3 positions and the rest in 1 position. Don't know about the CAGED system.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
No. I know the minor pentatonic in 3 positions and the rest in 1 position. Don't know about the CAGED system.

Perhaps focusing on learning the scales in all positions, with those scales it should be easy to improvise all over the neck.

Seeing as you know all the notes over the neck, the CAGED system will let you play chords and scales all over the neck creating different voices. There's plenty of lessons on it here on UG.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
^ I agree. Learning the scales you already know all over the fretboard would be a good next step. As well as expanding their usability for you, you'll also be getting some technique work from this as well, as you'll be using more of the fingering patterns that show up in real music. Don't just learn them as patterns though. It's very important that you keep thinking about what notes you are playing when you do this. At this stage, it should be sufficient if you know where the root, third, and fifth intervals of the scales are when you are learning them in different positions (the notes that make up a major or minor chord).
Other than that - just keep playing. Keep learning songs, and try to pick ones which are slightly (not much, baby steps are more effective) more difficuly that the last ones that you learned.
Try not to focus too heavily on one area to the exclusion of others. Learning is like a pyramid. You have a broad base of basic skills, and a peak of specific skills. If the base isn't wide enough to support the peak, the pyramid falls over (for example, when young players focus on playing fast before they have the basics built up). That's the main goal for this stage of your guitar playing - get that base good and solid.

It sounds like you are off to a great start for 3-4 months, btw. Good luck!
You only really need to know one scale position, then you could learn the notes on the fretboard and start the same pattern on the root note anywhere on the neck and have the whole neck covered. That's what I do now instead of thinking in patterns and shapes, know the notes of the scale you're playing.

Great, you already know where the notes are on the neck. To figure out what chords are in a key you could follow this "pattern" for chords in a major key starting from the root it'd be like this : Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Diminished

For a minor key it'd be like this : Minor Diminished Major Minor Minor Major Major
Last edited by Rave765 at Sep 26, 2009,
Thanks everyone
I can't improvise with the major or minor scale, it just doesn't sound good. I'll try learning some more positions.
Never heard of the CAGED system but I'll look that up too.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30