I want to swap the ****ty EMG HZ pickups in my guitar. The only brand I can afford here is Dimarzio, Duncans are like 130-170 bucks for 1 pickup in local shops. Dimarzios are 2x cheaper

I DON'T live in the US, so it's the only choice

What I have now:
Guitar: Cort M600T - 2 HBs, mahagony body, set neck, vintage trem, 1 tone & 1 volume, coil split
Amp: local no-name brand, can get tones between marshall and fender easily, it is a good amp, no worries here

How it sounds now:
Nasal, muddy, undefined treble response, too much low-mids but i like the tight, defined bass

How I want it to sound:
Neck: transparent and airy, closer to the strat sound but a bit fatter. i want to hear every string in chords
Bridge: i like Led Zep and Gary Moore sound here

I want WARM trebles and BRIGHT bass the way Hendrix sounds. I do understand i cant replecate his sound with double HB mahagony guitar

I want it to sound at least USEABLE when COIL SPLIT. Think Pink Floyd DSOTM era, Hendrix, late Clapton.

I need SWEET and PUNCHY cleans
I DONT need br00talz overdrive

Thanks for help
Please, when you suggest pickup, tell me whether you heard it in person
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Sep 26, 2009,
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

Da Pickup Picker, use it. It might help a bit.

Oh, and one of my friends had a Seymour Duncan SH-2 which sounded exactly like your description - like a Strat, just a bit fatter. I know that you want to get Dimarzio, but maybe you could look around for a used SH-2, buying used pickups is the way to go since actually it's pretty hard to do 'em any harm (unless you pummel them with a hammer).
Last edited by zombiak at Sep 26, 2009,
The reason I posted this thread - I want and advice from people who have tried some pickups
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
neck pickup - Dimarzio Humbucker from hell (despite its name its very low output and sounds single coil like. great neck pickup for cleans and solo work when distorted)

bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton (great mid output pup that has touches of the classic open PAF sound mixed with modern touches. This is a great pup for cleans and distortion, all around it will do what you want it to.

the Dimarzio Air Zone would also work pretty well for you in the bridge position
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Sep 26, 2009,
i can get the now discontinued Virtual PAF and V. Hot PAF
folks on dimarzio forum seem to like these more than 36th annivesary

pedals are stupid
If you want something that'll sound nice whilst split, you should probably look into pickups that are of a higher output. That doesn't mean buy the highest output metal pickup on the market though. I've had much like with coil splitting Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups. I prefer it in the bridge position though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you want something that'll sound nice whilst split, you should probably look into pickups that are of a higher output. That doesn't mean buy the highest output metal pickup on the market though. I've had much like with coil splitting Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups. I prefer it in the bridge position though.

not necessarily. pups don't need to be hot to sound good when they are split.

wow man! I haven't seen you post in a long time.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Sep 26, 2009,
Hmmm, Breed set when split-coiled?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by JLT73
neck pickup - Dimarzio Humbucker from hell (despite its name its very low output and sounds single coil like. great neck pickup for cleans and solo work when distorted)

bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton (great mid output pup that has touches of the classic open PAF sound mixed with modern touches. This is a great pup for cleans and distortion, all around it will do what you want it to.

the Dimarzio Air Zone would also work pretty well for you in the bridge position

+1

...no actually, +2

...no wait, +100
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what about air norton in bridge?

pedals are stupid
Nah, too soft and not enough treble reponse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks guys, I hope they will be really better than EMG HZs

Anyone else?

pedals are stupid
bump

pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Sep 28, 2009,
they will be better than HZs. lol

id go for a Steve's Special and some PAF or Breed neck
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
what about Fred instead of Norton? Fred seems to be not that fat sounding

pedals are stupid