What are some songs that are Punk, Alternative, or somewhere in that general area that are in 3/4, 6/8, or any other form of that (obviously, if you can find a song in 12/16, that works)? The reason I'm asking is I wanted to study the drums of 3/4 a bit, so I can mess around with it and get used to the feel. The only song I can think of right now that fits that is My Name Is Jonas.
The idea I'm going to mess with is just going to be straight eighth notes each measure on guitar and bass for the most part, mainly changing notes every measure, which makes it more 6/8, right?
critical acclaim has some parts in 3/4, mainly the bridge/first solo part. not exactly punk or alternative but it's the only thing I can come up with
Well, before you do move it or anything:

There are completely different feels to both tempos. in 3/4, there are 3 big beats: Counted 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 and so on. 6/8, on the other hand, has 2 big beats: ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six-ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six and so on. It all depends on how they're counted, both signatures have different feels, as I said. Saying that using 8th notes makes it 6/8 instead of 3/4 isn't true at all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Agile/Gary Kramer 7 string
golden brown by the stranglers
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by JackTheNobody
Well, before you do move it or anything:

There are completely different feels to both tempos. in 3/4, there are 3 big beats: Counted 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 and so on. 6/8, on the other hand, has 2 big beats: ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six-ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six and so on. It all depends on how they're counted, both signatures have different feels, as I said. Saying that using 8th notes makes it 6/8 instead of 3/4 isn't true at all.
I wasn't saying it because of the eighth notes, I was saying it because of the change in the chord every measure; can that work with both?
"The Riverboat Song" by Ocean Colour Scene
The songs riff is in 6/4 while the chorus then hoofs into 6/8.
clever chaps.
i flew beyond the sun before it was time
Chemical Warfare by Dead Kennedys has a 3/4 part in it, near the end. It has a waltzy, polka-ish feel to it. 3/4 is more for this kind of thing, whereas 6/8 is more versatile. Its used a lot in metal. Go liten to Fear Of The Dark by Iron Maiden. That has a really noticeable change to 6/8 in one of the choruses.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by herby190
I wasn't saying it because of the eighth notes, I was saying it because of the change in the chord every measure; can that work with both?

Well no offense, but I don't understand that at all. Explain?
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Thrice - The Weight.

Do it. Good 3/4 song for drums
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
DUNdun dun dunDUN dun dun

and

DUN dundundundunDUN dun dun

That's all you need to know.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by JackTheNobody
Well no offense, but I don't understand that at all. Explain?
I'm not even sure where I got that idea. Let me explain what I'm looking at now, and tell me which time it's in.

The guitar is playing chords, most likely powerchords until the lead comes in playing octave chords. The specific powerchord he's play (as in, what note it's rooted at) changes every measure for the most part.
The bass just follows this with eighth notes.
The drum beat would be based off of this:

HH|o-----o-----|
Sn|----x-------|
BD|x-x---x-x-x-|

Pretty bland, I know, but this is just to get used to the feel. Which key would you say that fits into better, or could it go to either?
Last edited by herby190 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
Everything Evil - Coheed.

And The Crowing
And No World For Tomorrow
And The Light And The Glass
And lots more!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
3/4 is a common time signiture. it has a straight feel.

"1 and 2 and 3 and 1 and 2 and 3 and..."

it is famed for being the backbeat of polka/waltz tunes.

6/8 is a compound time signiture.

"ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six..."

this gives a triplet / swing feel.
it's used all over the place; i've often found that it can be very folky.
i flew beyond the sun before it was time
Quote by herby190
I'm not even sure where I got that idea. Let me explain what I'm looking at now, and tell me which time it's in.

The guitar is playing chords, most likely powerchords until the lead comes in playing octave chords. The specific powerchord he's play (as in, what note it's rooted at) changes every measure for the most part.

HH|o-----o-----|
Sb|----x-------|
BD|x-x---x-x-x-|

Pretty bland, I know, but this is just to get used to the feel. Which key would you say that fits into better, or could it go to either?

I think that's 6/8, but me not being an actual drummer, mind telling me what Sb stands for? I know BD is bass drum and HH is hi-hat though, right? >.>
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Quote by JackTheNobody
I think that's 6/8, but me not being an actual drummer, mind telling me what Sb stands for? I know BD is bass drum and HH is hi-hat though, right? >.>

I imagine snare, but I could be wrong.

Quote by Dudeman5000
And The Crowing
And No World For Tomorrow
And The Light And The Glass
And lots more!

RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by herby190

HH|o-----o-----|
Sb|----x-------|
BD|x-x---x-x-x-|

Well it's a bit weird that you're putting the snare on the third beat rather than the fourth, so I'm not really sure. I think it would probably come across as 6/8, although if you only played the first half it would be 3/4.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by JackTheNobody
Sorry, I meant Sn, for snare; if you look, they're right next to each other on the keyboard.
Quote by herby190
Sorry, I meant Sn, for snare; if you look, they're right next to each other on the keyboard.

Haha, alright. I'd have to agree with Whalepudding, that does actually seem kind of strange... it does come across as 6/8 to me though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Quote by JackTheNobody
Haha, alright. I'd have to agree with Whalepudding, that does actually seem kind of strange... it does come across as 6/8 to me though.
Now that I put it on Guitar Pro, it does sound better with the snare with the second loose hit on the hi-hat.....
Quote by herby190
Now that I put it on Guitar Pro, it does sound better with the snare with the second loose hit on the hi-hat.....

That's 6/8, for sure.
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Blood to Bleed and Swing Life Away both by Rise Against.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above