Ok, so I've been playing guitar for about 10 years, since I was 15. From the moment I picked up the guitar and learnt to play, till today, I've had a problem with my left hand cramping, while attempting barre chords. Now, I can play them alright, I can play Sitting On The Dock of The Bay going up and down the frets (G->B->C->B->Bb->A) well and without any buzzing and all chords sounding well, but I can only play it once a day, otherwise the pain in my hand gets way, way too much and I have to stop playing altogether.

I've had this problem for ages and have tried changing my technique for clamping down when barring, but this hasn't really helped all that much. I was just wondering if there's any specific stretches or workouts I could do when not playing to strengthen the muscles I should be using? I've asked this question before, and people have just said 'play through the pain and it'll get easier as your hand strengthens', but as I said I've been playing 10 years and it's pretty much not changed at all.

It's irritating, because I love playing, but any time I start to learn a new song, if there's an awkward barre-chord (not F or Gm! I don't have much problem with either of them), I either have to rearrange it to find the chord somewhere else, or find an alternative chord, or just not practise and play the song as much as I'd like. The problem with that is every now and again I want to play a song that I love that is a progression of Gm->Bb->Dm(on the 5th)->F->Eb. To even attempt to rearrange that has caused me a headache, so I'd prefer to stop avoiding the problem and instead try and fix it.

If anyone knows of stretches or exercises that I can do to fix this, or of good websites that have examples of what I can do, I'd really, really appreciate it. Also, if this is in the wrong section of the forum, feel free to move it to the right place mods. Thanks all.
Try the Guitar Techniques forum, they'll be much better suited to help you. To me it sounds like a temporary thing that you shouldn't worry about.

Quote by Hasok
fap

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Reported.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
you shouldn't ask the pit questions like this

unless you want answers like this
Quote by Hasok
fap

So wrong place.....................................................................I think
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by seaders
Ok, so I've been playing guitar for about 10 years, since I was 15. From the moment I picked up the guitar and learnt to play, till today, I've had a problem...

Have the same problem.
I'm thinking of buying one of those hand-exercise-thingys.. These ones:

That oughta do it!
Gear:
Some sort of guitar, of some sort.
Another one
Big amp
Small amp
A pedal
A pedal again
Some kind of box that goes into the computer.. Haven't figured out its function yet.
i used 2 haet bar cords but thn i practisd nd practisd and now i can do em easy just relax when u do em ur hand u mite be pressin dwn 2 hard
Quote by tit_grab
i used 2 haet bar cords but thn i practisd nd practisd and now i can do em easy just relax when u do em ur hand u mite be pressin dwn 2 hard

Shame you didn't practise spelling and grammar

Keep practicing. Strange.....I've only been playing for 2 years, and my barring is perfect......but then again, I have a different hand.....are you playing an electric or an acoustic? Try using lower gauge strings. Also try lowering your action. After I got my electric, I found I couldn't play my acoustic anymore. So I downtuned it to B standard. You could try that as well.
Quote by padgea7x

acitully that has nothin 2 do wit bar cords
Quote by padgea7x

You spelled "practice" wrong. And now you look like a tool.
You're*
In traditional taekwondo, koreans used to heat sand and pour into a bowl. With your hands in it.
Then they could break some ****ing crazy stuff or do pushup only with their fingers (not using the whole plam, ONLY finger tips.)

EDIT: Serious answer: Use your bones. Learn how to use the right phalanx for the right chord.
Last edited by Fiire at Sep 26, 2009,
You spelled "practice" wrong.

i knew that.....................

Last edited by padgea7x at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Survivalism
You spelled "practice" wrong. QUOTE]

i knew that.....................

yeh he showd u lol
Quote by padgea7x

yeh he showd u lol

yes...............lol

anyway on topic, practice i guess and hopefully you will be able to do barre chords without cramp........

you'll get a lot more help in the technique forum, but it sounds like to me that you are pushing down way to hard. playing guitar should not hurt other than callous building. search in the articles or lessons section (can't remember which) for the incredible lightness I think it's called.
Quote by tit_grab

I like you.

His name is tit_grab. He knows about how hands work.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
thanks all (for the serious replies anyway!). I'll get one of those hand exercise thingy's and I've just talked about getting my guitar action lowered (it's an acoustic, I should have mentioned that).

also, I'll repost this in the techniques section, I actually searched the board for 'barre' and 'cramp' and the most amount of relevant topics were here in the pit, that's why I posted here.
Quote by tit_grab

Seriously, learn english. It's a pain to read what you say and when I've finally read the whole sentence I understood you're just saying pointless drivel anyway.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Ask in the technique forum, you're guaranteed a better response than the pit will give
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish