How do I know when I'm playing cleanly enough?
What sounds good to me might not sound good to anybody else.
I have no means of recording my playing. People generally have a positive response towards my guitar playing, but I think they're just being polite. Also, I usually get compliments for playing something which I don't feel turned out well enough.

So, how can I measure if my playing is clean enough?
when it squeaks
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by Poglia
Record something and let us listen and judge.

Lol. Either someone didn't read or just doesn't care.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by sashki
I have no means of recording my playing. People generally have a positive response towards my guitar playing, but I think they're just being polite. Also, I usually get compliments for playing something which I don't feel turned out well enough.

Then there really isnt any way for us to help you..
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Then there really isnt any way for us to help you..

I was expecting general advice.

Suppose you're practicing a certain song, like you're preparing for a gig, when do you consider it to be "good enough"? You can't keep practicing it forever.
question, what style? if you're using tons of distortion etc, its hard for anyone to tell if its clean or not... When you dont hear twanging strings, always in time, it doesnt sound choppy (unless intentional) etc, then it is clean enough. its mostly a personal thing anyway. Figure out how to record, you can get a cheapy michrophone for 20bucks that'll do the trick, or just go direct line in to the computer with an adapter.
"If we were really professionals we'd hang the microphone from the chandelier." ~Bass player
Quote by sashki

i hear tin foil hats are on sale at wall mart
but to answer your question just buy a cheap mike..it wont do your playing justice but it will give you an idea
Clean enough for it to sound really good over a backing track. Unless you are planning on giving a performance with just guitar, then this is how people will hear it. Sure, you could go the extra 1%, but that point you'd probably learn more tackling a different song (the law of diminishing returns thing).
When you play, listen as if you were not.

Look from someone elses perspective, From A Non Biased point, and from Uber Biased Points. Go from someone who likes the genre of your playing, and Two other Extremes, such as One who Listens strictly to pop, the other a Metal Extremist, But thats for other peoples views, not so much about playing clean.

When you play, Ask yourself If you could put it up on an album. Am I hitting Extra/Wrong Notes? How is my Articulation? Am I playing it strong or soft enough?

Does this even sound good? (Probably the most important lol )

Look not from your perspective, but from others.
^^^^^
So true!

Anyway, if you really want an honest opinion, just find a way of recording your playing and post it for people to listen to! We cant critique something we can't hear.