is it possible to emulate a bass by pitchshifting my guitar to downtune....in order for this to work how far do i need to down tune?

so i guess im asking how many octaves lower is bottom string E on a bass from the same note on standard tuned guitar??

any help appreciated.
36 Crazyfists
Trivium
Machine Head
August Burns Red

And I like my penis. Because of it's existence, every morning I can look past the man thongs, pink duvet cover and a-Ha CDs and say to myself, "You're a man."

Quote by P-H-O-B-I-A
is it possible to emulate a bass by pitchshifting my guitar to downtune....in order for this to work how far do i need to down tune?

so i guess im asking how many octaves lower is bottom string E on a bass from the same note on standard tuned guitar??

any help appreciated.

you get an octave pedal and it will take your guitar signal and lower it an octave (a bass is one octave below guitar) although a cheap bass would most likely be better. also theres some programs that actually do a pretty decent job of bass emulation (i dont know the names i just know it can be done decently well)
It won't sound much like a bass, however it will sound like a bass instrument, and if that's all you want then go ahead. But if you want it to sound like an actuall bass then listen to... ehm MetalBass
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
It won't sound much like a bass, however it will sound like a bass instrument, and if that's all you want then go ahead. But if you want it to sound like an actuall bass then listen to... ehm MetalBass

Can you give some program names plx? I hear of programs where you can bring a guitar's notes down to a bass'. I also need a program that can either allow you to make virtual drums or allow VST plugins like ezdrummer

TY ahead of time!
Quote by GiveItAll
Can you give some program names plx? I hear of programs where you can bring a guitar's notes down to a bass'. I also need a program that can either allow you to make virtual drums or allow VST plugins like ezdrummer

TY ahead of time!

well if you check my youtube page (link in sig) i have a tutorial on how to get free drums with reaper ( a free program for 30 days, then you hsould buy the liscense) im sure reaper has a way to bring the guitar down an octave and im sure theirs free bass vst's. check out www.vstplanet.com they have a bunch of vst's, although im not sure if they have bass. just do a search on google for bass vst.
Quote by GiveItAll
Can you give some program names plx? I hear of programs where you can bring a guitar's notes down to a bass'.

The point is that bringing a recorded guitar part down won't give you the sound of a bass, they're two different instruments. Do some research yourself, I've only heard of Chris Hein and Spectrasonics' bass sample libraries but I'm sure there ar some that are cheaper.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
The point is that bringing a recorded guitar part down won't give you the sound of a bass, they're two different instruments. Do some research yourself, I've only heard of Chris Hein and Spectrasonics' bass sample libraries but I'm sure there ar some that are cheaper.

thank you metal bass!

Of course I won't get 100% of a bass sound, but having a bass on the track is better than not. It wouldn't be as fulfilling to me if I just showed a song I made off with just vocals and a guitar, since that's just part of the song I envisioned, I want to show the entire song off, with less than awesome/disgusting instruments of course, but the entire song will be there.