Page 1 of 2
So, I walk into my music store and see that they have a Mesa Boogie on sale! $350! I ask the manager if I can try it, he says sure and he lets me pick a guitar. I pick a 1956 Gibson Goldtop Les Paul and begin to play "Rock Lobster" on the amp.

It didn't seem to much better than a quality Line 6 amp! I WAS EXCITED TO PLAY ON A MESA BOOGIE!

So, my question is:
Why are Mesa Boogie's A) So great? B)So...damn...expensive.
Because they´re great?
Chances are that you didn´t try out the legendary Rectifiers, but those run for about 2000 bucks or more.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
how long did you spend with the amp...you can't expect to go and spend a few minutes on it and expect it to sound great. Any amp can sound ****ty if its not dialed in correctly.
What Mesa was it? And by "quality Line 6 amp", if you're talking about a Spider there, I'd just like to say you have no ear for tone if you cannot tell the difference between a Spider and a Mesa/Boogie.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Line 6 has excellent quality, TS. (Quality=!Tone xD)
Get off the bandwagon, seriously.

Also, I like black.

its all relative. What might be great for some may be crap for others. I really like some mesa's, i really dislike others... does the name boogie warrant a price that it does... thats up to you. with all the other amps out there offering really similar sounds i sometimes wonder if these amps dont sell thanks to their name...
Quote by Dawnwalker

Wow..... Your post just fails....

If you can't tell the difference between a Line6 and a Boogie...you have a serious problem.

Also, why would you pick a Gibson '56 Gold Top LP? Why are Gibsons so hyped? Why are they so expensive? They play just as good as a quality Agile...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Mesa's are tweeker amps just turning any knob a quarter inch can completely change the sound of the amp.. These amps take months to find your sound. The EQ's are very sensitive to changes. It took me 2 months to get a sound I liked out of my DR. But I still mess around with it all the time.

tl'dr; They are not plug and play amps..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by DataKeeper
So, I walk into my music store and see that they have a Mesa Boogie on sale! $350! I ask the manager if I can try it, he says sure and he lets me pick a guitar. I pick a 1956 Gibson Goldtop Les Paul and begin to play "Rock Lobster" on the amp.

It didn't seem to much better than a quality Line 6 amp! I WAS EXCITED TO PLAY ON A MESA BOOGIE!

So, my question is:

You need to open your ears mate
350 is pretty cheap for any mesa, you sure it wasn't broke? By the way, what mesa was it?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Dawnwalker

Huh?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I meant that Line 6 Spiders have a decent tone, while Mesa Boogies sound is still better(by far).
But just because the spider sounds meh doesn´t mean it has crappy Quality.

kay?

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker
I meant that Line 6 Spiders have a decent tone, while Mesa Boogies sound is still better(by far).

kay?

wow.....
Quote by Dawnwalker

kay?

However having known about two Spiders breaking down after a month? That is kind of moot...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
However having known about two Spiders breaking down after a month? That is kind of moot...

Theres a story about 2 Marshall Hazes broken in a row by the same person in less than a month tho.
Those things dont prove anything.

Also, I like black.

Mesa Boogies are very sensitive to where the controls are set. You have to play around with it for a while.
Quote by Dawnwalker
Theres a story about 2 Marshall Hazes broken in a row by the same person in less than a month tho.
Those things dont prove anything.

Try and find one person with 2 Boogies broken down in a month....

Boogies have survived floods, hurricanes and a whole range of other disasters and have worked after a time of drying and a re-tubing.
Egg on my face!

I've learned that it wasn't a real mesa boogie. Rather, it was a Carver M500 that someone had prettied up to LOOK like a Mesa Boogie. I came in, ten minutes after a guy traded it in. So the manager didn't check it out.

I did manage to find a store that has a large Mesa Boogie selection. I'm going there and I'll try em'. Though my experiences with Mesa Boogie as the Crew Member for a band have always been poor.

"C'mon, no! Not that sound! OH FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, I SCREWED IT ALL UP AGAIN!"

edit: Wait. Who would buy into "Sound like Levinson!" in the first place?
Last edited by DataKeeper at Sep 26, 2009,
Mesas are really tweakers' amps and take a while to dial in great tone, not to mention needing stage volumes to really open up.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups

Also, I like black.

this is becoming a **** slinging match. Every manufacturer will make a dud some time or other be it mesa or line 6. this doesnt mean ****, thats why manufacturers have guarantees.

is line 6 as good as mesa, obviously not, why is the question, and hopefully tone is the answer.

as with anything, if mesa used thin ply cabinets and HH speakers along with mass produced electrics they would be ****. Point is htey dont.

Is mesa a boutique amp? maybe it is, diezels, dumbels, rivera, dr. z etc all pull certain clientele.

like every one says, its a tweaker
Quote by Raijouta
What Mesa was it? And by "quality Line 6 amp", if you're talking about a Spider there, I'd just like to say you have no ear for tone if you cannot tell the difference between a Spider and a Mesa/Boogie.

Hey Raijouta, I'll bet your Mg that you won't be able to difference a slightly change in tone between my spider III 150 watts amp and that Boogie boobie mesa amp. You just have to send me flying tickets for me, my girlfriend and my 10 year old daughter and I'll prove you wrong, see you there Thanks ,The slackadjuster
You do realize my MG is not my primary amp, right?

I've also used both a Line 6 Spider and a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head as well as a Roadster combo, and while I didn't get to spend much time with either, the Mesa was obviously better (but I didn't find a tone I REALLY liked, which was due to me spending only about ten minutes with it)

I'd take a Spider over an MG any day, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
You do realize my MG is not my primary amp, right?

I've also used both a Line 6 Spider and a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head as well as a Roadster combo, and while I didn't get to spend much time with either, the Mesa was obviously better (but I didn't find a tone I REALLY liked, which was due to me spending only about ten minutes with it)

I'd take a Spider over an MG any day, though.

Well, I knew you would never get rid of your spider anyways The Slackadjuster
*reported*

guys, TS is an obvious troll. he registered today and he only has two posts, for christsake. stop this dumb f*cking mud slinging.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by slackadjuster
Hey Raijouta, I'll bet your Mg that you won't be able to difference a slightly change in tone between my spider III 150 watts amp and that Boogie boobie mesa amp. You just have to send me flying tickets for me, my girlfriend and my 10 year old daughter and I'll prove you wrong, see you there Thanks ,The slackadjuster

I'll bet all my gear that I can...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
that guy totally sounds like a father figure
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by slackadjuster
Well, I knew you would never get rid of your spider anyways The Slackadjuster

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by MatrixClaw

How much of your gear do you still have?

For all we know, this could be a trick...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
How much of your gear do you still have?

For all we know, this could be a trick...

knowing MC, he could retrieve everything he owns with nothing more than a safety pin, a pack of Marlboros and a Robertson screwdriver through a series of trades.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I heard that one guy trading a red paperclip and end up getting a mustang
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

He got a house.
Quote by DataKeeper

So, my question is:

What an idiot. $350 for a Mesa????? You played it and thought it was a Mesa? Total failure.
hmmm,im wondering what he gonna do next
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Quote by littlephil
He got a house.

LOL
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by MatrixClaw

Sends the tickets my girlfriend would really love to go to Arizona. The slackadjuster
Quote by slackadjuster
Sends the tickets my girlfriend would really love to go to Arizona. The slackadjuster

Why would I pay for your ticket here when you're the only one that wins something?

Don't worry, I have plenty of friends who own Spiders, the two guitarists in the band I play drums in included. They sound like ****.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why would I pay for your ticket here when you're the only one that wins something?

Don't worry, I have plenty of friends who own Spiders, the two guitarists in the band I play drums in included. They sound like ****.

I hope you let them use your rig.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
I hope you let them use your rig.

I keep telling them to, but they have all their presets for the songs already programmed in their amps, so it's really the only way we can do it until they get their own pedals

It's a good thing I wear earplugs, that somehow makes them sound less ****ty
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2