So, basically, recently I got a Shure SM57. I love it. It feels good holding it, it sounds good recording with it, and it looks like a freaking lightsaber, it's hard to get cooler-looking than a lightsaber.

However, I recently was flipping through the Guitar Center September ad I foolishly put aside soon after browsing to see if there were any good deals on amps or guitars, reading the Tom DeLonge interview, and seeing if Elixir or Ernie Ball were offering a free shirt with a number of sets of strings again. I happened upon the microphones and saw something that made my jaw actually drop due to the deal that, while not seeming like a lot, is to a kid like me who's also saving for a new speaker, pickups and computer.

GC is offering, with the purchase of an Audix i5, a mic that, to my knowledge, is intended as a direct competitor to the SM57, a free 20' XLR cable(An extra $20 for me with the 57) and boom mic stand(Something I should've bought but didn't. The 57's sitting on top of an empty tissue box.). This has me considering returning my SM57, even though I do like it, and using my employee discount(I work at a store owned by GC) in conjunction with the 10% coupon on the back of the ad to get it for $70, along with a free mic stand and XLR cable and using it instead, especially after reading people say that it's a bassy mic and, being a fan of bassy gear, this turning me on even more.

So, do I stick with the industry standard or trade in for it's competition and also get some free shizzle and some stuff I would've otherwise payed for?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I have an i5 that I've done some recording with and think it reproduces the sound of your amp more faithfully than an SM57 which I have also used. The SM57 accentuates some upper mids whereas the i5 has a much more flat response.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat
Fender Mexi. Strat with DiMarzio Area '58's and '61
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

Original Crybaby
Modded Boss DS-1
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 GigaDelay
Boss TU-2 Tuner
EHX LPB-1 Booster

Traynor YCS50H
Quote by necrosis1193
So, basically, recently I got a Shure SM57. I love it. It feels good holding it, it sounds good recording with it, and it looks like a freaking lightsaber, it's hard to get cooler-looking than a lightsaber.

However, I recently was flipping through the Guitar Center September ad I foolishly put aside soon after browsing to see if there were any good deals on amps or guitars, reading the Tom DeLonge interview, and seeing if Elixir or Ernie Ball were offering a free shirt with a number of sets of strings again. I happened upon the microphones and saw something that made my jaw actually drop due to the deal that, while not seeming like a lot, is to a kid like me who's also saving for a new speaker, pickups and computer.

GC is offering, with the purchase of an Audix i5, a mic that, to my knowledge, is intended as a direct competitor to the SM57, a free 20' XLR cable(An extra $20 for me with the 57) and boom mic stand(Something I should've bought but didn't. The 57's sitting on top of an empty tissue box.). This has me considering returning my SM57, even though I do like it, and using my employee discount(I work at a store owned by GC) in conjunction with the 10% coupon on the back of the ad to get it for $70, along with a free mic stand and XLR cable and using it instead, especially after reading people say that it's a bassy mic and, being a fan of bassy gear, this turning me on even more.

So, do I stick with the industry standard or trade in for it's competition and also get some free shizzle and some stuff I would've otherwise payed for?

I'd go for it, it's a damn good mic and you're simply getting more for your money.
Well, it seems like the general consensus is to go for the i5, so I suppose I'll pack the SM57 up today, turn it in at work tomorrow and head to Guitar Center sometime soon to pick up the i5. Much appreciated guys.

As long as that's answered though, if I can hijack the thread since it's my own thread and the original question was answered, anyone know of any good programs I could use to put some drum tracks and basslines into Audacity since Acid Studio doesn't seem to want to cooperate when converting to MP3?

try the i5 out. every mic is different and will give your voice/guitar/whatever you're recording a different sound. the other day i was miking up an acoustic and we ended up throwing aside the u87s for a c414 and a telefunken c12.

for the artist's voice, we wound using an sm7b.

use whatever sounds good. if your voice sounds better with the 16k bump in the sm57, keep it. better sound is worth more than free goodies.
Well, after finding $40 I had left under my bed two years ago, I do believe I'll just keep the 57 and buy the i5. More micing options, more tones, and finally the ability to have a close mic and a room mic.

Quote by necrosis1193
Well, after finding $40 I had left under my bed two years ago, I do believe I'll just keep the 57 and buy the i5. More micing options, more tones, and finally the ability to have a close mic and a room mic.

Having both is not a bad idea at all. I personally prefer the i5 on guitar amps live and in the studio, but also having a 57 will be a good thing.

Incidentally, neither of those mics usually work too well as room mics.