are LPs worth the cash nowadays i am looking at getting a new guitar for bluse and rock stuff and like the LP shape and have the money for a gibson but have been hearing bad things lately about them so some help would be good

http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-traditional-gt.aspx

http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-traditional-db.aspx

are the ones im looking at getting
I would stay away from new Gibson's. They are overprices and have terrible quality control lately. Also the fact that they chamber the Les Paul's is sad. If you're hellbent on a Gibson LP, I'd say get an older used one.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
not really hell bent on getting an LP but i aint bought a new guitar for a while so dont know whats good any more lol bad i know
Quote by chrisa123
I would stay away from new Gibson's. They are overprices and have terrible quality control lately. Also the fact that they chamber the Les Paul's is sad. If you're hellbent on a Gibson LP, I'd say get an older used one.

all aboard the bandwagon.

a lot of the bad things you hear are blown way out of proportion.. but with that said, do not buy a gibson off the internet - the "bad thing" about gibson (which is only a bad thing if you really are stupid enough to blindly buy such an expensive guitar without checking it over first) is that they are all very varied from instrument to instrument - one les paul standard may feel and sound incredibly different to the next les paul standard off the production line and the same applies to every production model. so either search around and try to find one that feels perfect and buy that one.. or just don't buy one, and NEVER order one off the net, ever.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
all aboard the bandwagon.

a lot of the bad things you hear are blown way out of proportion.. but with that said, do not buy a gibson off the internet - the "bad thing" about gibson (which is only a bad thing if you really are stupid enough to blindly buy such an expensive guitar without checking it over first) is that they are all very varied from instrument to instrument - one les paul standard may feel and sound incredibly different to the next les paul standard off the production line and the same applies to every production model. so either search around and try to find one that feels perfect and buy that one.. or just don't buy one, and NEVER order one off the net, ever.

Ummm not just jumpin on the bandwagon. I was in the market for a Les Paul Traditional before I got my Eclipse. Every shop that I went to only had them with shotty craftsmanship (fretboard flaws, factory finish flaws etc.) Even the guys I talked to at the shops said every 3rd or 4th Gibson was being sent back lately. And THAT is how I ended up getting my Eclipse.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by chrisa123
Ummm not just jumpin on the bandwagon. I was in the market for a Les Paul Traditional before I got my Eclipse. Every shop that I went to only had them with shotty craftsmanship (fretboard flaws, factory finish flaws etc.) Even the guys I talked to at the shops said every 3rd or 4th Gibson was being sent back lately. And THAT is how I ended up getting my Eclipse.

Well that sounds like a wise decision.. you must have terrible luck with gibsons where you live - all the shops by me, even those that can no longer stock gibsons because they got screwed over, tell me they never had a single bad gibson come in (although the odd one or two need some work from time to time, something they'll happily do), and it's only the shop that doesn't stock them, and never has been able to, where the staff complain about them

i might've missed your point a bit, it's the way you said the quality control is downhill "lately" that made me think "bandwagon", because everyone says that. according to the bandwagoners, the CEO who bought gibson in the mid '80s is also the "new" CEO...

but i think this sums the situation up with gibson's quality control these days - my very own faded les paul (well, i should have it by mid-november, anyway.. paying for it bit by bit) has a spillage of cherry red laquer over the fretboard edge and onto the frets at the heel of the neck, and the pickup cover holes don't quite line up neatly with the polepieces which looks kinda iffy, but it's nothing that's going to affect the playability and tone of the instrument, the area in which it really delivers, and so it should - i think it's a matter of whether you can live with it or not, in such cases. Perhaps that's the very reason someone else didn't buy that guitar - they couldn't look past the somewhat shoddy appearance?

I wouldn't call the insane amount of variation from one guitar to the next a quality control problem though, even though i feel it's the biggest issue. I see it is the company making individual guitars for individual guitarists. You grow more attached to something if it's not like the rest of them
Rig Winter 2017:

Look at Gordon-Smith guitars.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
Look at Gordon-Smith guitars.

oh yeah, i forgot about them..

they are often overlooked but they are very good for the price - an alternative to the gibson studio line perhaps? i nearly managed to get one of their les paul junior style guitars a while back.. i wish i had. john otway uses them
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by scottishme
are LPs worth the cash nowadays i am looking at getting a new guitar for bluse and rock stuff and like the LP shape and have the money for a gibson but have been hearing bad things lately about them so some help would be good

http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-traditional-gt.aspx

http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-traditional-db.aspx

are the ones im looking at getting

You know, newer Gibsons aren't really bad guitars per se. The biggest problem I find is finding a Gibson that actually blows me out of the water. You can always be guaranteed to find a Gibby that plays alright but if you're expecting a guitar you won't wanna sell in a few years, I'd look elsewhere. (Unless you take the time to play a bunch of Gibbies and find one that you like)

I find I like the VOS Reissue Les Pauls much better. You should give the R8 or R0 (The R9 is a little pricier) a look. You can probably find a used one in that ball park price range.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The answer is simple, just don't buy one online. So long as you go to stores and try them out before you buy them, there's nothing to worry about. If you pick up a Gibson - aor any brand for that matter - and it's rubbish then just put it back. If you pick one up and it's great then buy it. Simple.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The answer is simple, just don't buy one online. So long as you go to stores and try them out before you buy them, there's nothing to worry about. If you pick up a Gibson - aor any brand for that matter - and it's rubbish then just put it back. If you pick one up and it's great then buy it. Simple.

Exactly. Listen to this guy, he's on the ball.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i noticed people complains about les paul quality going down, what about the other models like the sg and flying V and the explorer.
Quote by MrFlibble

Yep.

Simple as that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kckyle
i noticed people complains about les paul quality going down, what about the other models like the sg and flying V and the explorer.

well, that's because people tend to talk about the "other" models less since the les paul is gibson's 'flagship' model and still a best-seller. hence, since people talk about them more, people complain about them more.
Rig Winter 2017:

Everybody has been hating on Gibson lately, not because they hate them, but because they seem more disappointed in them. Honestly, if you want a Les Paul, go and play some models at the store, and if you like it, buy the exact model you were playing. Gibson's QC has been weak lately, but they still can produce a quality instrument, just be careful.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Do yourself a serious favor, and DO NOT use the advice on this board when it comes to Gibsons. Just play some yourself. I am a 7 month owner now of a new Les Paul Traditional Plus. Craftsmanship wise, the guitar was flawless. Best fretwork I've ever had on a guitar with the Plek system. Quality wise, the only flaw was a missed solder, but QC wouldnt have found it because the ground tab was making contact with metal and only intermittently dropping. Took 3 minutes for my tech to fix and I wasnt charged a thing.

Seriously, Les Pauls are like Marshall MG's or Line 6 Spiders on these boards. You are just uncool if you don't hop on the haterwave even though you don't know your ass from your elbow when it comes to having actually played some of the gear being talked bad about.
Those two you picked were really beautiful. I really like Gold Tops but the tobacco burst one was an eye popper. The prices are very reasonable too so the only issue is as mentioned many times, you need to be able to try a bunch and pick one you like. Does the vendor have an actual store you can go to?
Moving on.....