Brands I've narrowed it down to:
Acoustic
Ashdown
Carvin
Peavey
Warwick

I've only been able to try acoustics, which sounded pretty good, because thats all GC had that I wanted...
Anyway looking for head and cab(s), 5 band eq (preferably knobs), and at least 300 watts.
I would be playing through a warwick fortress rockbass mec gold p/j active pickups.

Next two lists are in order:
Bands I'm looking to emulate: Shinedown, 10 years, RHCP, Tool, Mudvayne, Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Metallica
Bassist: Ryan Martinie, Flea, Justin Chancellor, Matt Freeman, Cliff Burton, Leon Wilkeson (Lynyrd Skynrd), Josh Smith (Halestorm), Joe Principe (Rise Against), Fuzz (Disturbed)
So basically I'm looking for something that can do modern rock, hard rock, and some metal when needed.

Budgets below 1k USdollars
Thanks for any help!
Last edited by ExurKun at Sep 26, 2009,
All of those are good, from what I know. Acoustic B600H + B410 = $800. If you add the B115, it's exactly $1000. You might be able to get some sort of bundle discount. The only problem I see with this is that I think the ohms don't match up. The amps are 8 ohms each, but the amp is 2. I'm not sure abut this, but it might be a problem.
Acoustic and Carvin are both considered "transparent" amps, while Ashdowns are usually described as colorful, or have a woolly rockish tone. I have no experience with Warwick or Peavey, can anyone summarize what they sound like?
ive heard some good things about the ashdown mag300, but idk if it can pull off metal is my main worry
thanks for the help so far
anyone else have suggestions or advice?
Quote by Steve08
Acoustic and Carvin are both considered "transparent" amps, while Ashdowns are usually described as colorful, or have a woolly rockish tone. I have no experience with Warwick or Peavey, can anyone summarize what they sound like?

I have a peavey head with a warwick cab, Both of which are pretty versatile, I can get any sort of tones I want out of it.
I'd pick Peavey out of those.
I'd recommend a used Max450 head (or a new one if you can somewhere that still has them in stock) and a 410TVX cab. This used to be my rig and I thought it was pretty versatile and had a good tone.
Plus it's build like a tank and it will run forever and ever.
I'd go with Peavey. Acoustic is probably the best "cheap" stuff. Ashdown I heard is pretty versatile, although I haven't had the chance to use one myself. Haven't much with Carvin or Warwick amps, but from what I've seen Warwick seems to be pretty heavily priced. But yeah Peavey seems to a great choice for a lot of musicians. And the bass tour series is no exception. Use to own one myself.
I used ashdown for years and It was a solid amp. I had the lower end stuff the MAG 300 head and 4x10 cabinet. It got me through 3 years of playing shows. Pretty versatile amp. If you can find one though, look around sites like craigs list and Kijiji and try and score a vintage tube Traynor amp. You can generally find them for pretty cheap and if your into getting a little more punch and tube drive into you tone...they are the way to go. I just got mine and love the tone....with the ashdown i used EQ's and pedals here and there, with the Traynor I just go straight in. (I'm not advertising here) But if you go to http://youdiscover.ca/user/47# you can hear a comparison between the ashdown and the traynor. the videos of the song "When I come to" use either or. The video of that song during the day is with my ashdown rig and the video of that song at night is with my traynor rig.

good luck finding an amp.

sandro
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Peavey Tour Peavey Tour Peavey Tour.
I dont like the ashdown heads, Dunno why they just are real awkward to use.

I'm having the opposite fear I had for ashdown lol. Would the peavey be able to pull off a softer bassy sound/does it sound great or is it just for metal? Plus I've heard it might be quiet?
1."softer bassy sound". I don't mean to sound rude or disparaging, but Ive yet to find an amp where you can't achieve that. The only one I can think of is Gallien-Krueger. You shouldn't struggle with the Peavey and its graphic EQ.

2. Metal tones vary across the reasonable spectrum, from bass-heavy, mid-heavy, mid-scooped, to bright and cutting. All of those sounds can be applied to other genres. I think the reason that Peavey are associated primarily with metal is because they're quite loud (Jonathan Herrera on the VB-3: "My God, this is loud.") , and certainly well built.

3. Well, yes, it might be. But, after the Carvin, it is the most powerful head there for ~$400. The Acoustic is 600W at 2 Ohms.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by the_underling
1."softer bassy sound". I don't mean to sound rude or disparaging, but Ive yet to find an amp where you can't achieve that. The only one I can think of is Gallien-Krueger. You shouldn't struggle with the Peavey and its graphic EQ.

2. Metal tones vary across the reasonable spectrum, from bass-heavy, mid-heavy, mid-scooped, to bright and cutting. All of those sounds can be applied to other genres. I think the reason that Peavey are associated primarily with metal is because they're quite loud (Jonathan Herrera on the VB-3: "My God, this is loud.") , and certainly well built.

3. Well, yes, it might be. But, after the Carvin, it is the most powerful head there for ~$400. The Acoustic is 600W at 2 Ohms.

K I'll make another effort to go out and try the peavey and ashdown out which seem to be the two main contenders