As good as my little vox ad30vt has served me, it is far too quiet when i jam with my friends and i am looking for good tube amp now.
-Budget around $1000
-Just for home practice and jamming with an loud drummer, so a 1x12 combo should be good enough for me
-Needs to be versatile, i dont plan on buying another amp anytime soon (years), so i want to be able to play BROOTALZ while also having a great CLEAN channel i can use as well. Some of my favorite bands include Dream theater, between the buried and me, lamb of god, etc.

I was looking into mesa boogie amps but they all seem too expensive for me. I can probably stretch my budget a few hundred to get an express series or so but thats pushing it. (and are they any good? i heard they arent as great as other mesa amps) Im sure i could get a mark 4 in that price range however i am only willing to buy from an actual store (its just something im paranoid about, i dont want to buy from some place like cl or ebay.) Heard ENGL and Peavey amps are good, but...i dunno. Suggestions?
Peavey has good amps for metal, though their amps aren't known for great clean channels
the 6505+ should be worth trying out though

I'm not too familiar with ENGL
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
New?

Peavey 3120 head (needs cab)
Bugera 6260 combo
Bogner Alchemist head or combo
Vypyr tube 60 or Spider Valve if you like built in effects

Those are just some that I've played that I would rec.

Used?

5150/6505s (no clean channel)
XXX
JSX
Mark combo
Ampeg VH4C
Line 6 Flextone or Vetta
other stuff - check your craigslist if you are in the states and see what's there
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Thean4rchist
As good as my little vox ad30vt has served me, it is far too quiet when i jam with my friends and i am looking for good tube amp now.
-Budget around $1000
-Just for home practice and jamming with an loud drummer, so a 1x12 combo should be good enough for me
-Needs to be versatile, i dont plan on buying another amp anytime soon (years), so i want to be able to play BROOTALZ while also having a great CLEAN channel i can use as well. Some of my favorite bands include Dream theater, between the buried and me, lamb of god, etc.

I was looking into mesa boogie amps but they all seem too expensive for me. I can probably stretch my budget a few hundred to get an express series or so but thats pushing it. (and are they any good? i heard they arent as great as other mesa amps) Im sure i could get a mark 4 in that price range however i am only willing to buy from an actual store (its just something im paranoid about, i dont want to buy from some place like cl or ebay.) Heard ENGL and Peavey amps are good, but...i dunno. Suggestions?

IDK if you like modeling amps, but the Peavey Vypyr tube 60 watt or 120 watt is darn good. In your price range too. Insanely versatile. Can play anything from metal to blues or good cleans. Great amp.
Looking for a combo amp only, cabs will be too big and annoying to transport. Not really interested in modeling amps either, it just doesnt seem natural to me. And i have pedals to cover for lack of any effects.

Checked out the 6505, aside from the second speaker and them being 6505 and 6505+, why are these two amps so different in price?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106

I am still interested in mesa boogie amps, anyone have any input on the express series?
Last edited by Thean4rchist at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Thean4rchist
Looking for a combo amp only, cabs will be too big and annoying to transport. Not really interested in modeling amps either, it just doesnt seem natural to me. And i have pedals to cover for lack of any effects.

Checked out the 6505, aside from the second speaker and them being 6505 and 6505+, why are these two amps so different in price?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106

I am still interested in mesa boogie amps, anyone have any input on the express series?

One's a 1x12 and the other's a 2x12, so two speakers instead of one.
already mentioned the speaker, i still dont see how 1 speaker makes the amp cost twice as much though . But i really dont know much about amps so whatever i guess.
again, anyones input on mesa boogies? (and ENGL too, i hear they sound heavier than the 6505's and have a better clean channel to boot)
I'd check out pretty much any Engl, they have good cleans and very good distortion.
An Engl screamer would probably suit you, you'd have money left if you bought it used.
ENGL build quality is not up to par for what they charge for them. Plus, their customer is horrible. The other different between the 6505s are one is made in the USA, other is made in China. Willing to go used? If so, post your location. Edit: You are not, but I don't see why people limit themselves.

http://www.houseofenglamps.com/
They are having an ENGL blowout.
i am willing to go used so long as the seller is trusted(this is the big issue here, i can only bring myself to trust stores) and accepts payment in forms other than paypal, which to my knowledge, is what most people use.
The 6505+ 112 combo is being made in China and has not hit the street yet. Mid October is what we are hearing but I'm sure there is a backlog of orders. No one knows for sure what the build quality will be like. Either way, I want one.

The other 6505s 212s and heads are made in the US and are built like tanks. If you can find a used one of those, it would worth a look for sure.

Do you know how to use Craigslist? I'd be all over that before buying new but that's just me. Those are usually cash deals. It's just like the classifieds in the newspaper. You see something you like, you call, you make an appointment, you check it out, you like it, you pay cash, you leave.
Or maybe, is it better to just get a tube amp with an amazing clean channel and make my own drive/distortion through use of my pedal? i am currently using a boss gt-10 and can get many different sounds out of it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Kinda defeats the reason for getting a tube amp but people do do that

+1

Getting a high gain amp and using a distortion pedal with it as your primary distortion is kinda like buying a Ferrari/Bugati/Lamborghini/insert high-performance brand here for crawling to work in rush hour.

Of course, you could get a clean amp and use something like a Tech 21 SansAmp GT2/Barber Dirty Bomb/Radial Tonebone for distortion, but most people who do that primarily use the clean, not the distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i see, so i guess i may as well get a used mark 4 off ebay or something, i never realized you can pay with cards, i thought it was all paypal.
Where are you located?

Sucks though, you just missed out on an immaculate Mark IV that sold for $999