Poll Options
View poll results: What should I do?
Sell the Strat
14 17%
Keep the Strat
68 83%
Voters: 82.
Page 1 of 2
I own an American Fender Stratocaster and it was the first guitar I ever had, and I got it about 7 years ago. It's in fairly good condition and I barely ever play it. I have had my Schecter Hellraiser for just over a year and I literally never touch the Strat anymore because the Hellraiser just sounds so much better in every aspect, and I find it more comfortable.

However, my dad bought me the Strat for my 10th birthday and he doesn't want me to sell it, both because it is an American Strat and because it was my first guitar. But I never play it and all it does is sit in the corner of the room, unused.

What do you guys think I should do? And what kind of price should I go for if I decide to sell? Thanks
if you alredy have a guitar with FR/trem you dont really need it do you? unless you want to trem guitars
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Ha, Bracknell. Might be moving there soon. Ahem. Anyway.

A second hand Fender American Standard Straotcaster, in good condition and with no odd modding, lost parts or anything, tends to go for around the £500 range, give or take depending on a few factors like the type of finish and the exact year it was made.

But meh, I wouldn't sell it if I were you. They're solid guitars and you're unlikey to ever get anything that is better constructed. The tone might not be what you like now, but you could well end up liking it in a few more years, or you could always mod it - slap a couple of humbuckers in for a different tone, add coil split switches, whatever.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I say keep it.

My first guitar is junk and I never ever play it, but I'll never sell it because I'd just miss it in years to come. Yours is actually worth some money, so it's a little different for you, but maybe you'll find a use for it one day. If your Dad doesn't want you selling it, you'd better discuss it with him before you actually do, if you are seriously planning on doing it.
Mod it up. find some way that you will play it. Trust me there's a whole lot more you can do with a strat than a hellraiser
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
if your dad wants you to keep it, then keep it. it probably means something to him and would like to see it kept int he family
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
got a strat for my first electric. its still my only electric. if its not giving you the sound you want, it might be the amp, the setup, etc. Take it into a shop if you havent and let them reset everything, after 7years its bound to need some adjustments (truss rod...). It might also be old strings, most of the time i hear people complain about their guitar, i pick it up, and the strings are just so old its no wonder the thing sounds like ****... I know that my strat played through a valve state marshal sounded like ****... I now play through a (fender) tube amp and it sounds 100x better IMO. i sold the valvestate to a friend who has a grenitch and that combo works ok, but that amp didnt match my guitar.
"If we were really professionals we'd hang the microphone from the chandelier." ~Bass player
Maybe Im odd, but I dont have a lot of sentimental attachment to my guitars. I sold my first guitar as soon as I got my gibson V as my second guitar, which I traded for a Schecter. If you dont have any use for it, why keep it when it might be what someone else is looking for? If you have absolutely no use for it then sell it.
Never sell your first guitar. At some point in your life you will wish you still have it.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Keep it. You never know if your tastes will change and the Schecter will no longer suit your styles.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
keep it. especiall for different tunings. retuning on that Schecter will be annoying, and who knows, you may eventually become re-attracted to the strat.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Am I right in guessing that you like to play the br00tal MetalZ? A guitar as quality as a Fender American strat, especially since its your first, without a doubt keep it. I have a Fender American strat myself, and I am much more into playing heavy rock and metal myself now, but I still keep my American strat around, standard tuning, with a set of 9's on it so any time I want a nice classic rock or pop sound I pick up the strat. If you dabble in all genres of music I find it hard to believe your Schecter sounds better at all of them.

I'm getting ready to get a Schecter hellraiser myself actually, and I'm going to keep it tuned all the way down at drop B and no more than drop C.
sell it if you don't play it. Why keep a guitar if it's not being used? Use the money to get something else that you'd play.
Quote by Rocketface2112
if your dad wants you to keep it, then keep it. it probably means something to him and would like to see it kept int he family

This. Plus you never know when you want to play some different music.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Am I right in guessing that you like to play the br00tal MetalZ? A guitar as quality as a Fender American strat, especially since its your first, without a doubt keep it. I have a Fender American strat myself, and I am much more into playing heavy rock and metal myself now, but I still keep my American strat around, standard tuning, with a set of 9's on it so any time I want a nice classic rock or pop sound I pick up the strat. If you dabble in all genres of music I find it hard to believe your Schecter sounds better at all of them.

I'm getting ready to get a Schecter hellraiser myself actually, and I'm going to keep it tuned all the way down at drop B and no more than drop C.

Well some songs I play from different genres include:

Master of Puppets by Metallica
2 Minutes to Midnight by Iron Maiden
Burden by Opeth
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
For the Love of God by Steve Vai
Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

And the Hellraiser definately sounds better on all of those songs. The strat seems to have a very tinny sound on cleans, almost no sustain in solos and a lot of muddiness in the rhythm.
Depends on what sort of person you are. I mean do you feel any sentimental value in it? If not then sell it. I could never sell any of my guitars, I'm too god damn sentimental towards them. I've never had any problem selling amps and things, just guitars.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Well, if after all ppl have told u in this thread, and still don't want the strat, I'd suggest to give it to your dad (if he plays guitar)
Quote by GODhimself37
Mod it up. find some way that you will play it. Trust me there's a whole lot more you can do with a strat than a hellraiser

i agree put some new pick-ups in it you will be surprised the difference that can make.
Quote by Random3
My Dad doesn't want me to change anything about it.... pickups or otherwise. Even if the Strat had the same pickups as the Hellraiser, I prefer the feel of the Hellraiser so I still probably wouldnt play the Strat.

screw what your dad says. my dad says the exact same thing and i'm planning on modding my strat anyway. you dont know, if you decide to play something very clean with a lot of chords, the Strat will be your best weapon.

and then there's alternate tunings and different styles you can go for.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
you`ve had the fender 7 years and the schecter 12 months, you don`t play the fender `cos you`ve got the schecter, what happens 6 years down the line when you`ve decided to get a new guitar do you sell the schecter......

i say keep it, you don`t know what your going to end up doing musically later on, it`s a high-end fender and if like me you go into a musical career you`ll want as many guitars as you can with various features and tonality, over the last 22 years i`ve owned more than 45 guitars (lost actual count) and i`ve thinned it down to whats in my sig.......there are about 10 guitars i wish i kept though. one of them is my very 1st guitar.

the money you get from selling your guitar won`t even scratch the surface toward the car insurance.....

get a part-time job and get your car insurance money that way.
i say keep it. as long as you really don't need the money, it's got a really cool back story. i've never had a decent guitar that i didn't buy myself, and it definitely would add sentimental value. i'm not really sentimental over anything at all, but a guitar from a parent i might be

plus, it's an american strat. thats a pretty badass 10th birthday gift.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
DON'T EVER sell your gear, you can always find a purpose for a piece later on in your musical career. I sold my floyd equipped jackson and now playing solos just doesn't feel the same way as playing them on a floyd did T_T
Quote by Random3
My Dad doesn't want me to change anything about it.... pickups or otherwise. Even if the Strat had the same pickups as the Hellraiser, I prefer the feel of the Hellraiser so I still probably wouldnt play the Strat.

dont get the same pickups as a hellraiser. put something bluesy or something in there. if all you ever play is metal you will limit yourself to alot of different styles and techniques
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
dont get the same pickups as a hellraiser. put something bluesy or something in there. if all you ever play is metal you will limit yourself to alot of different styles and techniques

truth be told, I had a peavey valveking and IMHO a strat through that would sound way better than a schecter.

Put some nice lace pickups/vintage pickups/custom shop pick ups in the strat, get a few pedals (delay/reverb/maybe some modulation/harmonizer/looper) and jam.

Maybe listen to some new tunes. I LOVE pink floyd and gilmour, I checked out gilmour's solo stuff, especially on an island (he plays sax on it) and I'm transcribing sax for guitar.

Expand your musical library and learn stuff that sounds best on a strat.
I wish I had a Strat for my first guitar!

I would keep it, but if you plan on never playing anything but metal, sell it.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
When I first started playing guitar, I was 17. I thought the best guitar player in the world was Emppu Vuorinen, a somewhat obscure Finnish guitarist who plays in gothic metal band Nightwish. I also really liked 80's hair metal. I wanted an ESP super-Strat like Emppu's, I wanted an amp that went all the way to 11, I wanted a big black pedal on the floor that said "death metal distortion" on it. I used to say blues was stupid and that Clapton was overrated (it could still be argued that he is, but you get the idea of the kind of mindset I was in back then)
I actually ended up getting an Epi Les Paul and a little Fender practise combo amp. They didn't tick all the boxes I wanted but they were good deals at the time and I was wisely told by other people that I would come to appreciate them.

Well sure enough, I'm coming up to 22 now and even though it's only been a few years since I started playing, already my tastes have completely changed and I'm so glad I gave the 'pansy' LP and Fenders a chance. I stopped playing any kind of metal a couple of years ago and if I had been stuck with some super-Strat I'd be a bit screwed now.

You might like Floyds, active pickups, 24 frets and tiny necks now, but what if in the next year or two, you don't? What if you then want something smoother? You waste money buying another Strat then?

A Fender American Strat is a helluva instrument, one that many people on here dream of owning. Don't waste that just because at the moment you're not into it's tone much. When I was your age - which wasn't even that long ago - I dreamt of Wizard-II necks and giant fretwire, now I'm sitting here with a Gibson 1959 Reissue LP in my hands, inch-thick neck and fretwire so low you can barely tell it's there.

You've got an amazing guitar on your hands - there is a reason why Am Standard Strats cost more than that Schetcer of yours. Hold on to it, it's entirely possible that in the near future you end up wanting to play it more, or even if you do never touch it again, it won't be going down in value any time soon. If nothing else, you might as well hold on to it for another 5-10 years and then you'[ll get an extra £100 for it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
seriously, ts, this might sound like a flame, but its not

when people think guitar, they think American Stratocaster, if you sell that guitar then my friend you are an idiot

so please on behalf of me and everyone at UG, please don't sell that guitar
wait, so u got an american fender strat for your 1st guitar? you son of a *****! well, i wold keep it. your dad would be upset if you sold it. you could always keep it as a memoir (sp?) of starting guitar, and you could pass it along to your child(ren) if u ever have any. i nvr touch my first guitar anymore either. but then again, i would probably get **** for it. if anything i could sell it a garage sale for $20. which i may do. i consider my epi more as my first guitar cuz i paid for it all myself.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
No. Don't ever sell your first guitar.

It's like getting Megan Fox but then trading her for Some girl like [insert name here]
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by MrFlibble
When I first started playing guitar, I was 17. I thought the best guitar player in the world was Emppu Vuorinen, a somewhat obscure Finnish guitarist who plays in gothic metal band Nightwish. I also really liked 80's hair metal. I wanted an ESP super-Strat like Emppu's, I wanted an amp that went all the way to 11, I wanted a big black pedal on the floor that said "death metal distortion" on it. I used to say blues was stupid and that Clapton was overrated (it could still be argued that he is, but you get the idea of the kind of mindset I was in back then)
I actually ended up getting an Epi Les Paul and a little Fender practise combo amp. They didn't tick all the boxes I wanted but they were good deals at the time and I was wisely told by other people that I would come to appreciate them.

Well sure enough, I'm coming up to 22 now and even though it's only been a few years since I started playing, already my tastes have completely changed and I'm so glad I gave the 'pansy' LP and Fenders a chance. I stopped playing any kind of metal a couple of years ago and if I had been stuck with some super-Strat I'd be a bit screwed now.

You might like Floyds, active pickups, 24 frets and tiny necks now, but what if in the next year or two, you don't? What if you then want something smoother? You waste money buying another Strat then?

A Fender American Strat is a helluva instrument, one that many people on here dream of owning. Don't waste that just because at the moment you're not into it's tone much. When I was your age - which wasn't even that long ago - I dreamt of Wizard-II necks and giant fretwire, now I'm sitting here with a Gibson 1959 Reissue LP in my hands, inch-thick neck and fretwire so low you can barely tell it's there.

You've got an amazing guitar on your hands - there is a reason why Am Standard Strats cost more than that Schetcer of yours. Hold on to it, it's entirely possible that in the near future you end up wanting to play it more, or even if you do never touch it again, it won't be going down in value any time soon. If nothing else, you might as well hold on to it for another 5-10 years and then you'[ll get an extra £100 for it.

+10000. all kids wanna do is play teh most br00t4alz metal they can until they start to learn a little about guitar. i wanted to play emo crap when i started, and now im liek straight blues and classic rock. i used to love rap and hip hop (the age of 10ish?) but that was justa fad, a stage, you would be a fool to sell a fender american strat, especially if you wanted to play blues, jazz, any other strat inteded music.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
unless you want to sell it to me ($450?) keep it
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Keep it.Mod it.Or,learn to mod on it,then if you like,apply mods to your hellraiser.Strats are beautiful.If your in the studio someday and your recording a clean part your gonna kick yourself if you sold your strat.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
keep it...the american standard is on of the most amazing guitar...if you really like rock 'n roll its worth keeping just because of the influence it had
Quote by Random3
Well some songs I play from different genres include:

Master of Puppets by Metallica
2 Minutes to Midnight by Iron Maiden
Burden by Opeth
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
For the Love of God by Steve Vai
Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

And the Hellraiser definately sounds better on all of those songs. The strat seems to have a very tinny sound on cleans, almost no sustain in solos and a lot of muddiness in the rhythm.

I can't believe no one has questioned the legitimacy of what he is saying.

TBH most likely you have no idea what you're talking about tonally, unless your Strat is set up like a POS. The hellraiser should probably fit those categories in what you put the strat as. The American Standard Standard pups are not anywhere near that bad, and while they're noisy 60-cycle hum mother****ers, the last thing they are is muddy.

Right now you probably like a more "crunchy," (less mids, more tight highs and lows) sound. I guarantee at some point in your guitar career you will prefer a warmer tone, with less gain and more from your hands. Songs like "For the Love of God" by Vai and "Wonderful To'night" by Clapton should sound fantastic with the strat, and usable with your hellrasier, not 'COMPLETE **** ON THE STRAT.'

It seems like your dad understands this, and I advise with him completely against selling the strat. But if you're honestly that uptight and full of yourself that you believe a single guitar will keep you happy for the rest of your life, and you'll never prefer your strat to a different guitar...make the mistake of selling it and you'll see in a few years, maybe months, how stupid that was and spend another grand getting a strat.
Quote by Random3
I own an American Fender Stratocaster and it was the first guitar I ever had, and I got it about 7 years ago. It's in fairly good condition and I barely ever play it. I have had my Schecter Hellraiser for just over a year and I literally never touch the Strat anymore because the Hellraiser just sounds so much better in every aspect, and I find it more comfortable.

However, my dad bought me the Strat for my 10th birthday and he doesn't want me to sell it, both because it is an American Strat and because it was my first guitar. But I never play it and all it does is sit in the corner of the room, unused.

What do you guys think I should do? And what kind of price should I go for if I decide to sell? Thanks

keep it, a few years down the line when you start craving different sounds you'll regret getting rid of it
Page 1 of 2