I use a peavey valve king 100 watt tube head and a marshall 1960 lead 4X12 cab and a epiphone sg g-400

I play in a rock band and i am the rhythm guitarist..

anyway the peavey sounds good but it lacks midrange tones it really needs to sound bassyer and more powerful if that makes any sense.

I have eqed the amp out in every possible way to get a bassy mid range tone but its too soft im looking for a bullet for my valentine sorta rhythm sound.

Can yall recommend me pedals?? or strings? or whatever i need pleaseee!!
A good OD pedal and EQ pedal should fix that no problem.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
you need both
your budget?
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
To be honest the VK is the wrong amp for what you're looking for.

BFMV runs 5150/6505s with OD pedals to add more gain and have EMG active pickups in their guitars. The VK isn't capable of the high gain tones that you're looking for.

An EQ and an OD pedal will get you closer but you're not going to be able to achieve an identical tone with your current setup.
well i realize that but i cant afford those high end tube amps.. soo ill get as close to their tone as i can get.
EQ pedal with a mid hump -> tube screamer -> amp
I have a Dano Fish & Chips into a TS9 and that works really well as a gain boost
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Most EQ pedals have a basic level adjust, so they can be used sort of like an OD pedal as well. Most OD pedals have bass and treble controls (some have mid controls too) so they can also be used somewhat like an EQ. You certainly don't need both. I use both, but that's because the OD is for rhythm tones and the EQ is a boost for lead tones on top of the OD pedal, since I'm the only guitarist in the band and I need to do both. Most people though only need one, especially if you're a rhythm player.

If it's your actual tone you want to tweak, get an EQ pedal. I use a Boss GE-7 EQ - it's a 7-band EQ which is enough to tweak your tone however you want, plus it has a level boost/cut which you can use either to keep the volume the same no matter what frequencies you've boosted or cut, or you can use the level control to increase output a little, kind of like you'd use an OD pedal for.

If you simply want a generic 'heavier' tone, get an OD pedal. I use a Digitech Screamin' Blues (which regardless of it's name, can be used for any style of music) which works very well - Digitech do number of OD pedals that all seem fairly good, though the two I really recommend are either the Screamin' Blues (cheaper) or the HardWire CM-2 Overdrive (more expensive but better built than any other pedal you'll find and has two voicings so you can set it to be more suitable depending on what amp and guitar you're using it with). I tend to stay away from Boss OD pedals since they often only have one generic 'tone' knob that I find to be useless.
Set the OD pedal to provide a bit of a clean boost (level/volume control above average), set it to provide a little bit of it's own dirt to the signal (gain control up a little) bit, then tweak the high (treble) and low (bass) controls to your liking. If you got the CM-2, I'd suggest you stick the voicing selection to 'modified' too.

However, boosting your signals with pedals like this only really works if you're using your amp already cranked. If you're leaving your amp more on the clean side, you'd probably be better off getting a dedicated distortion pedal.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 26, 2009,
I think I know what you're describing. When me and me friend put up the school's Spider III on full volume (the 75watt one), we got that kind of heavy, Bass tone. Although it was horrible, I think we got what you're describing.

Try turning it up full volume, and maybe putting a decent OD in front of it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Powerstrike
well i realize that but i cant afford those high end tube amps.. soo ill get as close to their tone as i can get.

6505s arent that high end... they gor for $1000 brand new.

scour your local Craigslist for amps and stuff
Marshall TSL - $1100
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1393720812.html

or

EMGs for $165
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1393556194.html

the EMGs will give you more output and get your closer to a BFMV sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by MrFlibble
Most EQ pedals have a basic level adjust, so they can be used sort of like an OD pedal as well. Most OD pedals have bass and treble controls (some have mid controls too) so they can also be used somewhat like an EQ. You certainly don't need both. I use both, but that's because the OD is for rhythm tones and the EQ is a boost for lead tones on top of the OD pedal, since I'm the only guitarist in the band and I need to do both. Most people though only need one, especially if you're a rhythm player.

If it's your actual tone you want to tweak, get an EQ pedal. I use a Boss GE-7 EQ - it's a 7-band EQ which is enough to tweak your tone however you want, plus it has a level boost/cut which you can use either to keep the volume the same no matter what frequencies you've boosted or cut, or you can use the level control to increase output a little, kind of like you'd use an OD pedal for.

If you simply want a generic 'heavier' tone, get an OD pedal. I use a Boss Screamin' Blues (which regardless of it's name, can be used for any style of music) which works very well - Digitech do number of OD pedals that all seem fairly good, though the two I really recommend are either the Screamin' Blues (cheaper) or the HardWire CM-2 Overdrive (more expensive but better built than any other pedal you'll find and has two voicings so you can set it to be more suitable depending on what amp and guitar you're using it with). I tend to stay away from Boss OD pedals since they often only have one generic 'tone' knob that I find to be useless.
Set the OD pedal to provide a bit of a clean boost (level/volume control above average), set it to provide a little bit of it's own dirt to the signal (gain control up a little) bit, then tweak the high (treble) and low (bass) controls to your liking. If you got the CM-2, I'd suggest you stick the voicing selection to 'modified' too.

However, boosting your signals with pedals like this only really works if you're using your amp already cranked. If you're leaving your amp more on the clean side, you'd probably be better off getting a dedicated distortion pedal.

is it Boss or Digitech? IM CONFUSED!!!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
EQ pedals aren't the magic answer to every tone problem. if you're not already pretty close to what you want, an EQ isn't going to help much.

depending on how much money you have, i'd say save up, sell your VK and grab a used 5150 head or something. that should leave you with only about 200-400 bucks to cover out of pocket, which is close to what you'd spend on a good EQ and OD, anyway.
Quote by Jhachey22
6505s arent that high end... they gor for $1000 brand new.

scour your local Craigslist for amps and stuff
Marshall TSL - $1100
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1393720812.html

or

EMGs for $165
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1393556194.html

the EMGs will give you more output and get your closer to a BFMV sound.

I was so choked. i saw a used 5150 for sale in my local L&M for $399 CAD.

I really wanted it, but i live in apartments as well as i don't even really play in bands anymore anyway lol.. couldn't justify spending any money (even if it was so cheap) on it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Jhachey22
is it Boss or Digitech? IM CONFUSED!!!
Well caught, my bad. It's a Digitech, my brain's just not fully in gear tonight.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well caught, my bad. It's a Digitech, my brain's just not fully in gear tonight.

haha, just messin with ya. but Boss Blues driver isn't that bad as a boost. it's just really, really trebley. but as a loud, solid, clean boost, it's pretty nice.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I'd get the Valveking modded. A new output transformer would do you very well, as the stock one isn't very great. From what I've read in the VK thread, a newer output transformer really improves bass on them. Heyboer is a good place to start. You could also look into adding a bias pot mod.

An EQ pedal is very beneficial as well; the standard for most VK users is the MXR M-108, or the Danelectro Fish and Chips. The DigiTech Bad Monkey OD pedal is also quite popular.

In my opinion, all of these go a long way into making the VK sounding great. After the mods and upgrades the VK easily sounds as good as an amp twice its price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
I'd get the Valveking modded. A new output transformer would do you very well, as the stock one isn't very great. From what I've read in the VK thread, a newer output transformer really improves bass on them. Heyboer is a good place to start. You could also look into adding a bias pot mod.

An EQ pedal is very beneficial as well; the standard for most VK users is the MXR M-108, or the Danelectro Fish and Chips. The DigiTech Bad Monkey OD pedal is also quite popular.

In my opinion, all of these go a long way into making the VK sounding great. After the mods and upgrades the VK easily sounds as good as an amp twice its price.
+1

New valves and speakers are also quite popular around these parts. I have only played a VK with a speaker and tube swap. There were no separate biasing and transformer alterations to my knowledge. It sounded pretty sweet. Much better, more articulated. It removes a lot of hiss and mud.

A set of G12 K100 will suffice. Or even a combination of Celestion Vinatage 30s and G12 T75's.
Valves... different 12AX7's, and maybe JJ 6l6's?