So I recently bought the blue snowball, but I have trouble recording properly. When I record my amp, it sounds as if the signal is distorted. I'm using the second setting, -10 dB pad, and the levels in my recording software is not clipping at all.

But when I take the mic farther away from the amp, or when I put the volume very low, the problem seems to stop. But as far as I know, the mics should easily be able to handle loud volumes right? And when I say loud, I mean about 0.5 of 10 on a 120 watt tube.

Anyone else suffered the same problem? Owners of same mic that knows about my problem? Help would be appreciated, as I'm beginning to think that my mic doesn't work.

TL;DR: Snowball. Sound distorts, but levels are fine.
Last edited by anubiz03 at Sep 26, 2009,
Isn't the Snowball a condenser? If so that would be a main problem.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Yeah it is. But I've heard plenty of nice recordings utilizing that same mic. Am I doing something wrong or?
Where do you place the mic by the amp?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I tried placing it just in front of the speaker, a bit to the side like you see them when placed in studios. But it was like the mic couldn't handle the volume, so I took it about a meter back, and the problem stopped. But shouldn't it be able to handle the volume up close?
Quote by anubiz03
I tried placing it just in front of the speaker, a bit to the side like you see them when placed in studios. But it was like the mic couldn't handle the volume, so I took it about a meter back, and the problem stopped. But shouldn't it be able to handle the volume up close?

I am not that experienced with recording, but I think mics that are right on the speaker are not condenser, but dynamic mics. It is essentially passive, where the condenser is powered, so if it is right against a guitar amp's speaker, it will clip.

If it sounds good a meter back, why would you want it closer? Put it where it sounds good.
I see, well I was just wondering if I should send it back to the shop for repairs, but yeah.