I rest my pinky finger on the guitars body when alt. picking, 'cause I feel it gives me more control. The odd time I do it with some chords too. Is this a bad habit?
Sorry if this has already been posted.
It's called anchoring, and it has been posted 285903485930458394 times. It's not bad, many famous guitarists do it, and I do it too sometimes.
Quote by Poglia
It's called anchoring, and it has been posted 285903485930458394 times. It's not bad, many famous guitarists do it, and I do it too sometimes.

actually it can do damage to your hand/wrist over time causing stuff like carpel tunnel

it's best to avoid it, plus not anchoring will allow you to play faster and with better ease

edit: there used to be a really good sticky about anchoring but it seems to have disappeared
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Poglia
It's called anchoring, and it has been posted 285903485930458394 times.

this is right

Quote by Poglia
It's not bad, many famous guitarists do it, and I do it too sometimes.

this is wrong. anchoring can lead to serious tendon and muscle problems, and it IS a crutch that prevents you from having the proper freedom of movement to play guitar to the fullest extent. it's okay to anchor for a specific passage that may require it, but if you do it all the time, you will run into trouble.
found it here, this does a better job explaining than i do
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!