New Song up, hope y'all like it, bit more technical than the others, feedback would be loved

Called 'To The Other Side'
Last edited by Thom91 at Nov 28, 2009,
Intro reminded me of Add N To (X) style wise which was brilliant, until the shitty vocoded vocals came in. Then it became generic and bland electro imo. Lyrics weren't anything special but not terrible. Chorus was fairly catchy. Sounded a bit thin and lacking, perhaps add some fatter synth sounds lower in the mix?

Quote by ze monsta
Intro reminded me of Add N To (X) style wise which was brilliant, until the shitty vocoded vocals came in. Then it became generic and bland electro imo. Lyrics weren't anything special but not terrible. Chorus was fairly catchy. Sounded a bit thin and lacking, perhaps add some fatter synth sounds lower in the mix?

Haa, fair enough. I will check out Add N To (X). I guess vocoded vocals are a commom trait of modern electro. I personally prefer the sound of the effect on this sort of track, but I totally get where you're coming from. I guess it might have been wiser to post this on a forum where synths are the main intstrument rather than guitars, but I don't know any. Thanks though!
I'm a huge fan of synthesizers and sounds that aren't guitars. In fact, I can't really stand a "normal" sounding guitar.

I'm really into electronica, ambient electro, "glo fi" *cringes at name*, and shoegaze stuff, so I'd be happy to talk a bit more on ways I think you could make it more interesting, if you would so like.

That intro was pretty killer, a common song-writing trait is to bring back an intro part later on in the song, so perhaps you might rearrange it? I personally wouldn't have written a song that sounds like that anyway, and so therefore in my head, I'm picking it apart and rearranging it to something I would've done. : /

For a poppy-ish and happy sound, without being kinda generic like bad RnB, check out Memory Tapes/Weird Tapes/Memory Cassette, Neon Indian and The Tough Alliance. Koka Kola Veins by TTA is a fantastic pop tune.

What are you using btw, first thought is MicroKorg?
Last edited by ze monsta at Nov 28, 2009,
Yeah, 100% anything helps. Even down to production, this is the first song i've mixed myself, and i'm not perticually happy with the levels and overal sound, but it'll do till I can afford a studio. Yeah i'm pretty happy with the intro, it was the first thing I wrote for the track, I put it again in the end. The reason being it doesn't fit with the verse and I really wanted a calmer moment in the song, with the bells bit. So I just stuck it in at the end. Yeah I was looking to go for a little boots/la roux sound, but my vocals don't really cut the mustard so I like to process them abit. Am listening to Koka-Kola Veins, proper like it!

oh, i'm actually using a cheap mac i got off ebay with logic.