action is personal to the player

yngwie malmsteen likes a high action

steve vai likes a low action

the ibanez setup manual recommends 2mm from the top of the 14th fret to the bottom of the string when fretting the 1st fret.

action also depends on fingerboard radius with a flatter fingerboard enbling a lower action.
I'm trying to get the lowest action possible. I've changed strings and I'm not satisfied at all with the action. I don't know if it was high before the string change, probably not. I'm trying to gauge and figure out wheter I'm being greedy about the action or not
a relatively thin gauge (9's or 10's) and adjusting the saddles low so the strings are lowered. just be careful about fret buzz and fretting out. if you still have a high action, you might need a truss adjustment.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
So is it easier to get a low action with low gauge strings than thicker ones?
yes.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Dude adjusting action on electric guitars is easy, it's just different depending on what bridge your guitar has. Try and find a guide for whatever bridge you have. Most people prefer their action as low as it can get without fret buzz, so just keep lowering until that point. Changing string gauge usually isn't necessary, it does affect your action slightly but it's not a means of adjusting it.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Dude adjusting action on electric guitars is easy, it's just different depending on what bridge your guitar has. Try and find a guide for whatever bridge you have. Most people prefer their action as low as it can get without fret buzz, so just keep lowering until that point. Changing string gauge usually isn't necessary, it does affect your action slightly but it's not a means of adjusting it.

you can get lower action with 9's than you can with 11's. also, fret size is pretty important too.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by falconthefirst

It's easy, except on a floyd rose. I changed to thick strings, and I can't get a decent action, which means it's hard to play fast when I have to push the strings down a long way and them being thick doesn't help. I can't seem to figure out how to get a decent action without any buzz. Next guitar I get is having a normal bridge