I've been playing for a year now and I have the following:
Schecter Omen 6
Yamaha FG 700
Vox AD15VT
Peavey XXX Tube Amp

I know how to do the following:
Construct Scales
Construct Chords
Construct Modes and play them over the certain chords emphasizing the intervals that give them that sound
I know the intervals
I'm working on ear training, transcribing chords by ear is harder, also I can't tab out distorted songs, I'm only tabbing out indie/pop/alternative stuff, no Br00talz

I know these techniques:
Tapping ala One
Sweeping without finger rolling, I create sweep patterns so i can avoid rolling
I can do legato, not very quickly
I've been alt picking since day one
I can do palm muting
I can do harmonics
I can also do some economic picking

Now my problem is, I like to listen to metal. Metal in the vein of Cynic, Faceless, Born of Osiris, Between the Buried and Me, In Flames, Veil of Maya, After the Burial, Meshuggah, Opeth, In Mourning, Protest the Hero, Necrophagist, Mastodon, At The Gates, etc...

The point is, my tastes in music keep getting more and more progressive, but my technical ability is NO WHERE NEAR the point where I can even play SIMPLE songs by those bands. It's really frustrating.
I tried to play Open Arms to Damnation - Born of Osiris and they have minor 3rds
|-----------------------|
|---------------6-9-6---|
|----------5-8--------8-|
|-----4-7---------------|
|5-8--------------------|
played as 16th notes at 150 BPM !!!

How the **** do i get that fast. I've been playing for a year now and I'm nowhere near that ability.

So if anyone could please advise me on wtf to do, or if they know any easy METAL songs I could learn to improve my ability, that would be great.
if your considering giving up guitar, then its probably not for you. Every guitarist goes through ruts and creative dry spells and may want to throw the guitar out the window, but if you think you actually want to give up it then find something else to spend your time on.
Try to find music that you like that isn't metal. Metal is one of the hardest genres there is, especially a lot of the bands you described. So my advice would be, play some easier songs in a different genre that you like.
have some damn patience kid jeeze, you act like your a master of the arts. slow down and play whats fun. just because you cant shred like malmsteen doesnt mean you suck. ive been playin steadly for 7 years and i can only play a few megadeth solos, my favoite band. so take time and have fun and dont worry about your skill level
Umm, simple advice. PRACTICE. Take those riffs, play them slowly and build up your finger strength/independence.

You've only been playing a year, don't get discouraged... I've been playing A LOT longer than that and some of the stuff you listed is still out of reach for me...

In Flames and Opeth should have same easier stuff to play... compared to something like The Faceless.
The groups youve listed are really technical so to get to play their songs you need to be really goog guitarrist. Learn progressively. You are playing just a year and for the things you are already doing it sounds you are doing ok so practice like hell and just be patient.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
you should the guitarist for Born of osiris didn't even need to practice, he wrote that song the day he picked up a guitar... you get the point
dude... just practice it until you get it... chill out 150bpm isn't that fast, just do it slow, then try to play it a little bit faster until you can get it up to speed... try stuff at 200bpm, or 160bpm 16th note triplets...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by pnkhrdwndr
Parkway drive has some cool stuff

I know them, and I've been listeing to bands like them lately, Attack Attack, the Devil waers prada, only because their stuff is easier, but please don't take this as flaming, their music is no lifeless/formulaic/pretentious that it makes me cringe everytime i listen to it. I tried playing Attack Attack's stick stickly, and it was incredibly easy but just not what I wanna play.

I mean the songs themselves aren't half bad, they're very catchy but thats it, catchy and have no substance.

In my high school guitar class, all we do is take easy chordy songs (Wonderful Tonight - Clapton, Ben Folds, Do You Realize - Flaming Lips, etc) and just strum the chords, nothing too complicated.

But none of it appeals to me.
here's how to do it
1. patience, you've only been playing for a year and you already have more techniques than I had at 3 years, you should be damn proud of where you are at, the guitarists you want to play like have been playing for as long as/longer than you've been alive

2. practice, start slow and practice for accuracy and then speed will come with time, I suggest some In Flames to start with

3. more practice, 'cause it's just that important

4. just have fun with it, if you are getting over stressed or frustrated then you are playing for the wrong reasons
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Speed can't be forced, and there's no reason to.
There's so much good music out there that you definately
will be able to play. Find it, play it and you won't last another
year if you don't enjoy playing
Quote by 1979ckhtt

How the **** do i get that fast. I've been playing for a year now and I'm nowhere near that ability.

Now I've been playing for six years and even I can't play that fast. Why? Because, I haven't put the effort and dedication to practice to play that fast. All you have to do is, like everyone would say, practice with a metronome at a low pace and gradually increase your speed.

Even then, you might not be able to play that fast because your hand muscles and nerves might not work that fast. There're no million Shawn Lanes. There might be only a 100 similar ones. So, my point is that you might not be able to reach that speed but you can increase it if you practice.
Quote by timpa04
Speed can't be forced, and there's no reason to.
There's so much good music out there that you definately
will be able to play. Find it, play it and you won't last another
year if you don't enjoy playing

dont get me wrong, I LOVE playing, when im stresssed I always just pick up my guitar and whip out a pentatonic solo or a minor key solo in the style of page/gilmour but I'm not able to play Metal (technical/prog/death)
Quote by 1979ckhtt

In my high school guitar class, all we do is take easy chordy songs (Wonderful Tonight - Clapton, Ben Folds, Do You Realize - Flaming Lips, etc) and just strum the chords, nothing too complicated.

But none of it appeals to me.

i know what you mean, my second year of guitar class in hs i was playing As I Lay Dying riffs and their easier solos while the teacher was giving us GnR chords
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I've been playing for four years now I started with alternative and gradually moved to Metal, blues, bluegrass, and country. Although it seems like a chore to master some of those heart pounding head crushing licks performed by your favorite metal groups, they are not as hard as they seem. The biggest problem with metal licks is the speed of which you need to play, now most of them are very simple all you really need to look out for is exactly how you are picking them. In your post you said you have been doing alternate picking since day one, if that is the case it should be no problem to increase your speed, I advise doing alternate picking on pentatonic scales and then working your way up to actually moving around the neck. I know they are a simple format but they work the best in my opinion. Now you also asked if they were any songs that you could use to increase your skills when playing metal. Well the "killing road" by Megadeth is an effective, efficient and easy song to play. It will assist you in all the necessary tools when playing metal. If you are looking for a faster more aggressive song, try "mechanic god creation" by arch enemy. This particular song has a difficulty that is definitely up there, it might take you a few moments to get the licks and riffs, but you will be proud of yourself when you get it. Its a cool song and I love it. It will work your fingers out, so try stretching before and after. Kick ass and have fun, don't quit.
Here is my serious advice: GROW UP!

Playing guitar is a lifelong thing. (Most important)

You sound like you understand music and theory.

I think you are a little generous with playing assesment. I doubt you play as well as you talk.

No one, I repeat No one can play stuff after a year that these musicians have been playing, in some cases for decades.

Take you time, finds some friends to play with and start a band. Remember, playing in a band and playing by your self are 2 totally different things.

to qoute:
I've been playing for a year now and I have the following: no common sense.

Print your post out put it away, and in 2 years read it. I guarantee you will say "what a dope I was."

Relax and have fun. Dont get caught up in the "I should be at this level" Most of all of us have been/are there.

Last add:
You kids need to quit using the word "stressed". You are kids, you are not stressed.

Stressed is the guy with a wife and kids, house payment who just got laid off un expectantly, or the guy in a firefight in Afganistan.
Last edited by siksofus at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by siksofus

I think you are a little generous with playing assesment. I doubt you play as well as you talk.

No one, I repeat No one can play stuff after a year that these musicians have been playing, in some cases for decades.

Take you time, finds some friends to play with and start a band. Remember, playing in a band and playing by your self are 2 totally different things.

to qoute:

Print your post out put it away, and in 2 years read it. I guarantee you will say "what a dope I was."

Relax and have fun. Dont get caught up in the "I should be at this level" Most of all of us have been/are there.

Last add:
You kids need to quit using the word "stressed". You are kids, you are not stressed.

Stressed is the guy with a wife and kids, house payment who just got laid off un expectantly, or the guy in a firefight in Afganistan.

sorry im only 16
Classical Pickstyle studies (Violin Studies, etc)

Difficult Melodies/Transcribed Solos

Those are the only two things I have ever worked on that I would consider real technique practice. If you practice them with good posture, play slowly (metronome), and make it sound as clean as you would want it to be full speed you will develop a solid technique
Don't quit the Guitar.

Just remember that your gonna be able to play that someday.
Put more time into the guitar and re-motivate yourself.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
The point exactly!

I hope you learned something.

Every one here is saying just about the same thing.

Seriously, your are making playing guitar into chore, like it is your job and you will get fired if you arent at a certain level at a certain time. What fun is that??

Have fun with it. There are no tests to pass with guitar.

Always and I say, always remember:
No one has ever gotten a date from playing Rock Band! -- Brad Paisley
Last edited by siksofus at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by 1979ckhtt
I've been playing for a year now and I have the following:
Schecter Omen 6
Yamaha FG 700
Vox AD15VT
Peavey XXX Tube Amp

I know how to do the following:
Construct Scales
Construct Chords
Construct Modes and play them over the certain chords emphasizing the intervals that give them that sound
I know the intervals
I'm working on ear training, transcribing chords by ear is harder, also I can't tab out distorted songs, I'm only tabbing out indie/pop/alternative stuff, no Br00talz

I know these techniques:
Tapping ala One
Sweeping without finger rolling, I create sweep patterns so i can avoid rolling
I can do legato, not very quickly
I've been alt picking since day one
I can do palm muting
I can do harmonics
I can also do some economic picking

Now my problem is, I like to listen to metal. Metal in the vein of Cynic, Faceless, Born of Osiris, Between the Buried and Me, In Flames, Veil of Maya, After the Burial, Meshuggah, Opeth, In Mourning, Protest the Hero, Necrophagist, Mastodon, At The Gates, etc...

The point is, my tastes in music keep getting more and more progressive, but my technical ability is NO WHERE NEAR the point where I can even play SIMPLE songs by those bands. It's really frustrating.
I tried to play Open Arms to Damnation - Born of Osiris and they have minor 3rds
|---------------6-9-6---|
|----------5-8--------8-|
|-----4-7---------------|
|5-8--------------------|

So if anyone could please advise me on wtf to do, or if they know any easy METAL songs I could learn to improve my ability, that would be great.

A single year of experience = noobville

stop worrying about it, and start making some music.

also, you should consider that playing guitar isn't like playing your x-box where you level up by gaining achievements.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
A single year of experience = noobville

stop worrying about it, and start making some music.

also, you should consider that playing guitar isn't like playing your x-box where you level up by gaining achievements.

Oh wow

best analogy ever!

but, hey man, i don't wanna sound douchy, but i have been playing for a little over a year and i can do alot of the things he mentioned (sans the theory, i am taking classes for it though)

But it all came slowly, dont force it dude

Hell, im still trying to get the first part of Thunderhorse down correcty, and it's only 3 string sweeps
when i can do dechristinize solo pretty damn decent (granted not as fast, but almost there)

and for the record

practice foo
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Hey man, we've all been there. Most guitarists hit a point, or several points in there lives that makes them feel like they're never going to get better, like they've plateaued if you will. Some don't even realize they've hit that wall because they think they're good enough, so they stop trying to get better. The key is to know that you can't stop just because you've hit that wall. I felt like I hit a wall a couple weeks ago when the guitarist in my band(he's played for over 20 years) asked me to play a chord on my bass. It's a difficult chord, even on guitar but on a bass its a little more intense. After several awful attempts I felt that I couldn't do it. I'll tell you what he told me. ''If you're going to let this instrument defeat you, go right ahead. Give up. But remember that no-one ever became a good musician by giving up when they couldn't master something in a few tries. It takes years to get some techniques down, but its worth it if you really want.'' If you truely want to play, don't give up, keep going. The only way to get past the wall is to climb over it, or knock it down.
''In the depths of a mind insane,
fantasy and reality are the same!''- Slayer, Dead Skin Mask
push through pain and boredom, I guarantee it will be worth it to you in the long run.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by siksofus

to qoute:

Last add:

You don't have to be an adult to be stressed seriously. I know they have more reasons but still.
Continuing with ThorDevlin's point on not feeling like you are ever improving. Get a cheap recording device (cassete player would even work/cellphone) and record yourself playing.

Say playing over a basic blues backing track. Record and save an improvised solo and a month later go at it again. You're bound to see some improvements if you have been practicing even a little bit.

And adding on to practicing, just know that you will get better faster practicing 10 minutes a day as opposed to 70 minutes once a week.

Quote by 3holepunch
push through pain and boredom, I guarantee it will be worth it to you in the long run.
This is not a good idea as when you are bored you aren't concentrating and won't retain the information you were working on.

Quote by siksofus
Last add:
This is a joke, let's see 5 AP classes, jazz band, popular type music band, classical recitals, upcoming college auditions (both jazz/classical), music competitions, scholarship auditions, a job, and having to keep all of that to my parents and my expectations.
Last edited by rockinrider55 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by rockinrider55
Continuing with ThorDevlin's point on not feeling like you are ever improving. Get a cheap recording device (cassete player would even work/cellphone) and record yourself playing.

Say playing over a basic blues backing track. Record and save an improvised solo and a month later go at it again. You're bound to see some improvements if you have been practicing even a little bit.

Thanks for catching that, I meant to add something like that, but I got distracted with some of my typos, and forgot to add it. I'm sure my lack of sleep lately hasn't helped.
''In the depths of a mind insane,
fantasy and reality are the same!''- Slayer, Dead Skin Mask
Quote by rockinrider55

And adding on to practicing, just know that you will get better faster practicing 10 minutes a day as opposed to 70 minutes once a week.

This is not a good idea as when you are bored you aren't concentrating and won't retain the information you were working on.

This is a joke, let's see 5 AP classes, jazz band, popular type music band, classical recitals, upcoming college auditions (both jazz/classical), music competitions, scholarship auditions, a job, and having to keep all of that to my parents and my expectations.

Actually, I think it's good for young people to be stressed. That way by the time they get to be an old dude (hmmm... I guess I could be considered that?) they are just numb to life's BS, and they hopefully resist the urge to slaughter innocents with high capacity weapons because they never learned to cope.

Good times.

And to TS: Try following the advice of joining a band. If you are putting all of your time and mental energy into practice just for the sake of personal achievement, then you are probably getting little personal tangible reward for your investment. It's kinda like going to college and getting a PhD in engineering when you only plan to work the night shift at a convenience store - ya, you're gonna get frustrated without being able to enjoy your newly developed talent.

If you play as well as your post states, then you are better than me. I'm 40. Be patient, and learn to enjoy the ride.
honestly I'm kinda impressed with the theory knowledge you have after only one year. But you are expecting too much of yourself. you've only been playing for a year and you're trying to play at a level that simply requires the experience to play it. you need to work your way up into playing stuff like that, I think you should start learning some old school metallica, megadeth, pantera, slayer, amon amarth, iced earth, and such. they're not as hard as the stuff you're trying to play, but they're still pretty interesting and not too easy.

but from your first post it sounds like you're pretty far along for only a year of playing, most guitarists haven't even gotten into theory at that point
seriosly, take it easy man, u played for a year. thats not long. you dont have to hurry. take the time it needs
Don't expect to be able to play Cynic songs after one year. Keep going, a few more years, you'll be shreddin it up with Dream Theater.
The thing about technical problems is that there are tried and tested methods of working through them, if you have the time and patience to practice! All the artists you've mentioned have clocked some serious woodshed hours - if you want to play like them, you'll have to practice like them.

Secondly, try not to get "stuck" in a genre - especially one that is currently so unsatisfying to play! - when I'm not in a tech metal mood I play some jazz standards. When I'm not in the mood for that I strum some random tunes. When I'm not in the mood for that I drill scales and sequences. When I'm not in the mood for that I play single notes with as much articulation as possible - in short, I don't force my way through walls, I just walk around them.
i suggest learning scales like phrygian and harmonic minors and learning how to play those and each time you play them try to go a little faster, after a while your fingers will be able to stretch further and your fingers will get stronger, but see the thing is there is a very slim chance you will be good fast thats why every one here stressed practice. but even though people say practice the problem is finding what you practice.. so look up the scales all you need is like 3 or four difficult scales and play them fast over and over again and eventually after you fingers become callused you will be able to play much better faster and your fingers will be stronger, trust me it is what i just went through not to long ago.
A year is nothing - I know, I'm there too Just keep going, and you'll be able to play more and more of the stuff you want to.

In the meantime, a lot of Opeth isn't all that hard - try stuff like Ending Credits and Atonement. You might suprise yourself
I feel like if you're in it to get TRULY better you're gonna have to push through some boredom (and pain was just talking about barre chords :lol : I mean guys doing chromatics and drills up and down the fretboard aren't having a blast while they do that. It's the pay off that's fun and makes it all worth it. I'm a guitar major in college and my teacher gives me a new piece pretty much every week, and some of them I really don't care much for or just rather do other stuff I already know. BUT he gave the pieces to me because they work on a specific technique or put a new concept into practice. I make sure and spend ample time practicing them thoroughly and after everyone I've become better and it makes my writing/technique better, makes songs I do like easier to learn quickly etc.

As an overall look at playing guitar, you should keep it fun. If you really want to get GOOD, there's a few boring hurtles that don't become fun till you're at the finish line.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

i don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be better and push oneself forward to try and be a better guitarist. and i don't think that signs of frustration and "stress" are bad signs, or that it means he's not playing guitar for a good reason, i mean that's just part of the learning process, right? whatever skill you're trying to learn.

i do think that wanting to quit is a bad sign. while it's okay you are, apparently, trying to give the best and really want to play those metal songs you shouldn't underestimate your skills or beat yourself for not being able to play everything you want to play. i agree with many here, who keep saying that 1 year is nothing (although it's pretty impressive what you've achieved so far, i mean i've only been playing for a year and a half and haven't achieved as much as you have). if you really want to get there, just practice, and be patient. if you quit, i doubt you'll ever get there. and i'm sure you'll regret it.

good luck
Quote by robinlint
Try to find music that you like that isn't metal. Metal is one of the hardest genres there is, especially a lot of the bands you described. So my advice would be, play some easier songs in a different genre that you like.

Page 1 of 2