Hey guys, I have an ec-1000 deluxe, and it's not getting the gain it should. My question is, do I raise the pups? Or do I lower them? I was thinking lowering the bass/bridge one a bit, and raising the neck/treble one a bit. How would I get more gain?

My amp sucks as well, but still, I play other guitars on same amp and get more gain. Amp is Spider III 30, if that matters.

Any help would be nice, thanks.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
For more gain, you put the pickups closer to the strings. Also check the battery if you have active pickups, if it's dying you'll lose gain. Oh, and get a new amp.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Adjusting pickup height won't add or reduce gain, but the more you raise it, the more breakup you'll get, so you could try that I guess. Also, change the battery. You'll get stuck with a clean sound when your batteries are dying, and EC-1000's come with EMG's, so I know they're active.

But just wondering, why do you have such a great guitar with a crappy amp?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Sep 26, 2009,
Raising pickups will increase the output (note - gain and output are two different things: gain has nothing to do with the guitar itself or it's pickups, gain is purely for amps and some certain types of overdrive pedal).
However, raising the pickups will also shorten sustain, you will lose clarity and the lower frequencies (bass) in particular can become very 'booming' and muddy. Generally speaking you should set pickups to be at the best height for clarity, responsiveness and sustain. There are many better ways of increasing your output than raising your pickups.

A boost or overdrive pedal is really the best way. A boost pedal simply increases the volume of your current signal, it is good for both clean and distorted tones. An overdrive pedal increase the output of your signal and will also add a little of it's own dirt and is good for increasing distorted tones.

However, neither is any use with a Line 6 Spider III series amp.

The Spider III series is a modelling amp. That means no matter what guitar you put through it, it will always try and make them sound the same. Of course they will sound slightly different, but basically there is a limit to how much you can influence the Spider III's tone; sticking an overdrive pedal in front of it will just make it louder, it's not going to really change much.
The Spider III is also a solid state amp, which means it doesn't distort in the same way that valve amps do which means things like high output pickups, overdrive and boost pedals are all useless. You'll actually get a better 'heavy' tone out of it by using low output pickups, which is probably your problem - the EC-1000's pickups are very high output (active EMGs or a Seymour Duncan Hot Rod set, depending on the specific model) and those do not mix well with solid state amps at all, in fact there is nothing more inappropriate.

Really what you need to do is get an all-valve amp. Short of that though, the best option for you will be to set the Spider to be as clean as possible, and then buy a dedicated distortion pedal. It won't be much better than what you have at the moment, but if you can't afford to get an all-valve amp and a good overdrive, setting the Spider clean and using a distortion pedal is the next best thing (though I say 'next best', it will still be much worse than a properly driven valve amp).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks guys, all of you. But to the battery idea, It didn't come with EMG's as most do, she came with duncans.

I've been looking at amps for awhile now as well.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
if you have a pedal, change the batteries. Also, check that your volume is on 10 (on the guitar) and if the wiring is correct (look for schematics in the basslines section of the seymour duncan website)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
put your spider on insane and light it on fire....
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
If you don't have enough gain with the Spider, God help us all when you do manage to get "enough."
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
If you don't have enough gain with the Spider, God help us all when you do manage to get "enough."

+1. the spider has PILES of gain. and if i am right, your guitar has active pickups too which would make it even higher gain than it usually is. i havent heard of a kind of modern metal that would need the amount of gain you are looking for.

i suspect that you are not playing loudly. if that is the case, there is your reason for your guitar lacking sustain. with all the gain in the world, your guitar strings wont ring out longer than they usually do. it takes volume to make them do that.