What are they? What're the differences (if any)? Are they all the same?

Does anybody know anyone that offers them, etc.

With unbiased opinion, is it or isn't it better than a neck-through?
wikipedia.org

neck thru is probably the best construction (in terms of quality, usually). I have a set neck esp and it's great, Bolt on is also fine for me if the neck pocket allows for good fret access

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
The first 2 are the same, duh... the last 2 are also the same. They just have deeper pockets for more wood contact.
i think set through is basically a ste neck that looks like a through neck
I've read the wiki, and I want more extensive info.

As for neck-through, i've been looking into it, but I don't like the idea of "wings" so to speak, and at the same time, the guitar project I have in mind might not call for it or be able to do it.

I have an Epiphone Dot and a Fender Jaguar, and I prefer the set neck of my Epiphone. The upper access is more smooth, but still, the idea of Neck-Thru or Set-Thru is appealing because its absolutely flawless and immaculate, or almost so.

So does anybody know manufacturers or actual examples to i can look at photos of the neck joints or play it somewhere?

I've played my bassist's Schecter Elite 4. It's a neck through, but I don't like how it curves kind of at around the heel area, and i've noticed lots of manufacturers do that.
Quote by plague o' death

As for neck-through, i've been looking into it, but I don't like the idea of "wings" so to speak, and at the same time, the guitar project I have in mind might not call for it or be able to do it.

Wings? well, you can easily put a top over them. Like maple neck, mahogany wings, and a flamed top. Very easy, and it looks great with a natural back. I dont know exactly what you have planned

I have an Epiphone Dot and a Fender Jaguar, and I prefer the set neck of my Epiphone. The upper access is more smooth, but still, the idea of Neck-Thru or Set-Thru is appealing because its absolutely flawless and immaculate, or almost so.

Set necks are nice, i prefer them over my bolt on's. Sure bolt on's are more versatile, but if a set neck is built right, it doesnt matter since you'll never need to take if off.

In my opinion, and experience, neck through is the easiest to build. It's also a lot quicker to build that way as well. The added option of being able to carve into the body on the back for access is also a plus.

So does anybody know manufacturers or actual examples to i can look at photos of the neck joints or play it somewhere?

I'd try carvin's website, or google images. You can get a lot of ideas from google.

I've played my bassist's Schecter Elite 4. It's a neck through, but I don't like how it curves kind of at around the heel area, and i've noticed lots of manufacturers do that.

Well, it does help fret access, but you can easily make it look like a AANJ or whatever else pleases you. You could shape it to look like a fender neck pocket (minus the screws) if you pleased.

Hope that helped!

Also, look at some info on PRS guitars. That may help you as well.
Anymore questions, feel free to ask.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Sep 27, 2009,
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in the Wikipedia articles on the subject, I'd argue that the differences they cite between to the two joints are more due to wood used and less about the joint.

As for the different kinds of set necks you talk about, I'd bet you'd never be able to tell the difference. Ed Roman might have a giant boner for his deep set neck, but I think he's just a tool anyway. Personally, I might build one set neck just to do it, but any guitar I build for myself is going to bolt on if its going to be painted, or neck through laminate for clear coated guitars and mostly just for looks.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Metalwarrior40: Here's the thing man, y'see this:

Ok, notice how the body looks immaculate with no lines? I kinda wanna keep that, but incorporate that with the neck. Granted, i'm painting my guitar black, but thats not the point, the top's gonna be just as intricate.

(FYI, yes, i'm trying to do or have my own version of John Squire's custom Jag)

I'm not worried about how long its gonna take or how easy, just about it being right and being great.

xstillspinninx: Well, i'm gonna have it done with an all black finish and on the neck, and the headstock kinda like the Gibsons y'know?

Who the **** is Ed Roman? Anyway, I just asked because all those terms seemed to describe the same thing but nobody ever dispels one or the other etc.
Set through=Set Thru. They're really just a marketing term for a set neck with a flush contoured heel. Extended pocket set in neck is just that-a set neck with a bigger tenon, requiring a bigger pocket. Same thing as a deep-set neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Honestly, all those are pretty much the same thing, there all variations of the set neck. The difference between them and a standard set neck, is that instead of only having the neck go 3-4 inches into the body, they go 6+, etc."

If you want to keep true to that guitar, go ahead and do a bolt on. However, if you wanted my opinion on what you should do, i would suggest a set neck, or a neck through guitar. You can carve a lil bit (set neck) or a lot (neck through) that way. Bolt on's that are fender style like that don't really allow proper fret access. However, a AANJ (all access neck joint, aka ibanez,etc) can fix that.

Ed Roman is a custom guitar maker, and has a lot of questionable opinions on various topics in the guitar making world. He firmly believe that the extended set in neck or whatever you choose to call it, is far superior to anything else out there. I personally disagree, but that's my opinion right?

Anything else i can help you with? Not sure if that helped or not..
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
Honestly, all those are pretty much the same thing, there all variations of the set neck. The difference between them and a standard set neck, is that instead of only having the neck go 3-4 inches into the body, they go 6+, etc."

If you want to keep true to that guitar, go ahead and do a bolt on. However, if you wanted my opinion on what you should do, i would suggest a set neck, or a neck through guitar. You can carve a lil bit (set neck) or a lot (neck through) that way. Bolt on's that are fender style like that don't really allow proper fret access. However, a AANJ (all access neck joint, aka ibanez,etc) can fix that.

Ed Roman is a custom guitar maker, and has a lot of questionable opinions on various topics in the guitar making world. He firmly believe that the extended set in neck or whatever you choose to call it, is far superior to anything else out there. I personally disagree, but that's my opinion right?

Anything else i can help you with? Not sure if that helped or not..

So, could I do a set-thru, with an extended neck tenon?

No i'm actively trying to avoid doing bolt on. The other day when comparing my epiphone to my regular Jag, I realized, I hate hitting the spot where the body and the neck meet with the bolts. On my Epiphone its just a tiny curve, but on the Jag it felt over-sized for the first time and annoying when going on the high frets.

All access neck joint? Tell me more about this please

Oh and, ok y'see that weird curve and elevation on this neck-thru

?

THAT, is exactly what i'm trying to avoid

Oh and if you none have you have gathered, no I don't intend on doing a burst or clear coat, I just want it black, maybe glossy with nitro-cellulose or whatever EVH did on his new Wolfgang that lets it breathe, maybe satin on the back of the neck for faster playing, but yeah I don't intend on seeing wood grain
With a neck-through, you make the heel whatever shape you're most comfortable with. That guitar has a strange looking "heel" to me,l but some people like the feel of a big heel.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by plague o' death

Look at a Schecter C-1 Plus (what I have)..it's a neck-through. The neck joint is absolutely flawless and feels amazing. I refuse to go back to set-neck or bolt-on again.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
You could try carving it like I have it on my icepick, its just a single curve from horn to horn, no bump, great upper fret access.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/blindsagacity/pictures/gear/499763/596686
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!