im pretty much a floyd rose noob and i was wondering if the amounts of springs in the back means. (ie. ive seen strats with 3 springs in the back and my kramer has 2 springs in the back and ive seen pics of hendrix playing a strat with 5 springs) does this make much of a difference?
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
the number of springs depends on what guage string you use, the lighter the guage you need, generally you only need 3 but you canexperiment with more to find a a tension you lke
Quote by britishsligean
the number of springs depends on what guage string you use, the lighter the guage you need, generally you only need 3 but you canexperiment with more to find a a tension you lke

Not necessarily. You can use 5 springs with 9's, but you will have very little tension on each spring, resulting in a stiffer feel. The more springs you have, the better your tuning stability will tend to be, but the harder it is to use the tremolo. With a locking trem like a floyd, you can use less springs, resulting in easier use of the bar. However, if you palm mute a lot or don't use the trem much, I'd recommend using more springs to keep your pitch from moving every time you nudge the trem.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
With more springs, you'll get more tension and it will be harder to use the bar.

You can add springs for higher gauge strings or just to add tuning stability to your bridge, as ibz_bucket said.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera