Where is the best place to get spruce for a sound board on an acoustic guitar? It seems to be high all the places that I have looked.
Quote by jetwash69
Free: Any forrest containing large spruce trees.

How's $19 - $88, depending on grade?

www.stewmac.com

. I do not have large spruce trees but tons of cedar I understand it works well also.

But 2 questions with trees. The first would be how do you cut a 8" rip with out a industrial band saw??

Next question would be would it work to have 3 6" pieces glued together?

Stewart Mcdonald is the only website that I know to get guitar supplies other maybe Grizzly.
Free is a relative term, unless you have access to a robust wood shop. Actually I was kidding about the forrest.

I'd just go with Stewmac. I know very little about accoustic construction, but it seems like if you can't get wood wide enough to do it w/2 pieces, it probably isn't worth it. 3 pieces seems like would create structural integrity problems, and possibly undesirable tonal consequences. Otherwise you'd probably see that in commercial guitars.

Also, theirs is quartersawn. If I understand quarter sawing right (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartersawn), then you'd need at least a 2' diameter log to get a 21" x anything quartersawn board. If you can get the length, then you'd get the the 8.5" width, too.

If you have that size wood available and a planer, you could do realy rough cuts with a chainsaw and then plane it down to about 1/4". You'd still need a large drum sander to get the pieces down to .125"

That's thin stuff. I don't think it would be strong enough if it's not quartersawn.

There may be other options, too. I'm just barely an intermediate woodworker and I only worked in a furniture factory for one summer, so please take all this for what it's worth. Anyone with more experience can probably give you a better answer.

When you consider what it would take to do it yourself, Stewart MacDonald's prices are an incredible bargain in comparison.

I hadn't even heard of Grizzly before. Cool stuff!
Quote by cSuttle
That's funny!

I was just kidding, because at the time I didn't know samchuck is a carpenter and that he'd made his own guitar from scratch with local wood he cut down himself.

If anyone on this site can do it, it's him. Check out his other threads. Cool stuff.
Quote by jetwash69
I was just kidding, because at the time I didn't know samchuck is a carpenter and that he'd made his own guitar from scratch with local wood he cut down himself.

If anyone on this site can do it, it's him. Check out his other threads. Cool stuff.

Thanks I hope to learn more here so that next time I will do better.
The luthierforum does weekly auctions for good quality top, back, and side sets. They're also starting a build-along of an acoustic soon, iirc.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by samchuck
Where is the best place to get spruce for a sound board on an acoustic guitar? It seems to be high all the places that I have looked.

Whatever wood you use, it MUST be of a suitable moisture content before you start, so cutting a tree and building, is not going to happen, unless you have kiln facilities.

Ebay. A guy in Canada (Finewoods I think) will sell the bits you need.

The soundboard (top) has to be quarter sawn and one or two piece.

Engleman or Sitka Spruce are good choices as is Cedar and also Maple.

Get yourself a book dude.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Whatever wood you use, it MUST be of a suitable moisture content before you start, so cutting a tree and building, is not going to happen, unless you have kiln facilities.

You are correct in that it is not a fast process. But there are short cuts. Dead trees save some time especially cedar. It will not rot for a long time due to the oils in the tree. A tree that has been dead for several years is still very usable.
Quote by samchuck
You are correct in that it is not a fast process. But there are short cuts. Dead trees save some time especially cedar. It will not rot for a long time due to the oils in the tree. A tree that has been dead for several years is still very usable.

Of course.

I have since learnt that you are in fact, a Carpenter, so I feel sure you know what you are doing with moisture content. Get the book and create a masterpiece.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by bv310
The luthierforum does weekly auctions for good quality top, back, and side sets. They're also starting a build-along of an acoustic soon, iirc.

This

If you are in the USA or Canada then Mario has the best spruce at the best prices. If you are in the EU then you might want to talk to me.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
This

If you are in the EU then you might want to talk to me.

Oh really? Do tell Sir...
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
5 years ago I bought all the best stuff Mario had, at the time, along with some of his medium grade stuff too. What I have is already in the country which helps with shipping and importing costs and it's had 5 years to dry.
Quote by CorduroyEW
5 years ago I bought all the best stuff Mario had, at the time, along with some of his medium grade stuff too. What I have is already in the country which helps with shipping and importing costs and it's had 5 years to dry.

Who is Mario and how would one contact him?
Mario owns www.luthierforum.com and is a harvester of some of the finest spruce in the world. It's called lutz spruce. This spruce sounds so good that William cumpiano, the man who wrote the book Guitarmaking, which is like the bible for luthiers, has converted to the stuff and thats gotta say something. Mario is your man for spruce. Grant Goltz, also known as whitespurce on the luthierfurum can get you just about any other type of wood you can imagine and is my number 1 go to guy for ebony and cocobolo. Both are great guys that will do their best to get you exactly what you need.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Mario owns www.luthierforum.com and is a harvester of some of the finest spruce in the world. It's called lutz spruce. This spruce sounds so good that William cumpiano, the man who wrote the book Guitarmaking, which is like the bible for luthiers, has converted to the stuff and thats gotta say something. Mario is your man for spruce. Grant Goltz, also known as whitespurce on the luthierfurum can get you just about any other type of wood you can imagine and is my number 1 go to guy for ebony and cocobolo. Both are great guys that will do their best to get you exactly what you need.

So.

If I require something in the future, that you have and can semi prepare (not in the rough), can I come to you? I do not have sufficient facilities or experience yet to produce fine materials from rough stock, or choose suitable material for something like an Acoustic top.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani