i have an epiphone special II SG guitar (the lowest end they make) and was wondering if i bought a pickguard for a regular SG, or even a '62 reissue, if i could just drill holes in the appropriate places and it fit?
Limit it to one forum, you can't cross post topics.

*reported*
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by Its So Easy
Limit it to one forum, you can't cross post topics.

*reported*

This belongs here though. If he posted in other forums those should be deleted.

As far as the topic goes, I have no idea.

EDIT:

actually I read in a thread the other day that pickguards actually need to be soldered into place, in addition to being screwed in tight and stuff.

So really I doubt it would be worth it. Save up for a a G400 or an Agile SG or something I guess.
Last edited by Tedward at Sep 26, 2009,
you'd need to measure your guitar face, and get the guard measurement.

also the special might also need to have the same contour.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm thinking the SG Special 2 doesn't come with a pickguard.

You'd have to drill.

yeah he knows.

Quote by Tedward

actually I read in a thread the other day that pickguards actually need to be soldered into place, in addition to being screwed in tight and stuff.

it's not going to need to be soldered. but yes, it might not fit and yes, it's probably not worth it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 26, 2009,
I don't know if it would fit. I know the Epi specials are flat topped, and most of the gibbys have carved tops, so they wouldn't fit.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Tedward
...actually I read in a thread the other day that pickguards actually need to be soldered into place, in addition to being screwed in tight and stuff.

So really I doubt it would be worth it. Save up for a a G400 or an Agile SG or something I guess.

Why in the world would a pickguard need to be soldered into place? WTF?

They don't for Strats.

The only thing I could think of is if you want it shielded, but why would you want it shielded for a guitar that normally doesn't come with a pickgaurd anyway?

Shielding in Strat pick-gaurds doesn't need to be soldered because it gets the ground from the grounded control pots being bolted to the guard. The pots make contact with the foil--usually through toothed washers to guarantee contact.

BTW, you can't solder plastic (or anything, for that matter) to wood.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending, I'm just superconfused by the soldering comment.
Quote by Tedward
I doubt it would be worth it. Save up for a a G400 or an Agile SG or something I guess.

its not about the money or what its worth or anything, its a sentimental thing : ]
Quote by trapshooter
its not about the money or what its worth or anything, its a sentimental thing : ]

My only Gibson experience is with their polish, but often the knock-offs have significantly different dimensions than the guitars they're copying. That can keep pick guards from fitting.

You can always give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, you can trace the guard you want onto a piece of paper before you return it, cut it out, reconcile the conflict and send the corrections to a custom guard company and have them build you a custom guard. If it's a matter of countour, then you might need to mail them the whole guitar.

Most custom guards are well under $100. Especially if you're not going gaga on the material (e.g., carbon fiber, solid gold, ceramic space shuttle heat shield, shark skin, dragon ear)