Title says it all, which has higher output, and what are the sound differences?
I like metallica, but tonewise I definitely prefer Megadeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc.

Thanks
The 85 has a higher output then the 81 but output alone isn't a good choice in choosing a pickup. One of my favourite pickups is the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 model, its rated at 9.1k
This thing blows everything I've heard out the water except my 80's SD JBJ
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
is the SD custom shop '78 active? if not, this leads me to another question: is it easy to change active for passives, and vice versa? Don't you have to change a lot of the wiring and stuff?
Quote by imbaguitar
is the SD custom shop '78 active? if not, this leads me to another question: is it easy to change active for passives, and vice versa? Don't you have to change a lot of the wiring and stuff?

Why would you want an active pickup in the first place ?
Quote by imbaguitar

No its not an active its a passive, its pretty expensive @ $160 and its not really a pup for heavy metal. I just used it as an example that you don't need something that's got ridiculously high output for it to be a good pickup which is what your initial post came across as. I'd go to the SD website and listen to some sound clips, do the same on EMG's site, DiMarzio etc and view Youtube clips and try and find what others use and see what you like. Personally, a pup that would cover what you're after would be something like a SD JB but there are many choices out there.

Quote by r4ster
Why would you want an active pickup in the first place ?

Why not? Whats so bad about them? Have you played one for an extended period of time to say they are that bad to the point of not even considering them? If he wants to go active then why not? They have their advantages and are good for what they do.
Think of the 85 and the 58 as the bigger, beefy brother. They sound fatter than the 81, which has a tighter low end a slightly sharper highs. It cuts through better.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by DSOTM80

Have you played one for an extended period of time to say they are that bad to the point of not even considering them? .

Yes, I play them very often, and I don't consider them as "bad". They are great for what they were designed for, but in the same time pretty much useless for anything else.
If he wants to go active then why not? They have their advantages and are good for what they do.

Yes, they do have their advantages, but they are pretty much useless if played through crappy SS amp, or using pedals, or trying to get some versatility, that's why I asked why would he like to go for active pickups. There are way better passive pickups for achieving metallica tone, which are way more versatile than actives.
There is one principal:
If you have to ask about active pickups, then they are most likely not for you.
Last edited by r4ster at Sep 27, 2009,
Quote by r4ster
Yes, I play them very often, and I don't consider them as "bad". They are great for what they were designed for, but in the same time pretty much useless for anything else.

Yes, they do have their advantages, but they are pretty much useless if played through crappy SS amp, or using pedals, or trying to get some versatility, that's why I asked why would he like to go for active pickups. There are way better passive pickups for achieving metallica tone, which are way more versatile than actives.
There is one principal:
If you have to ask about active pickups, then they are most likely not for you.

True, I agree with ya there. Most likely he does have a SS amp. I don't agree on the pedals part, I've used them with pedals and think its fine. I thought my Satchurator was great with EMG's but to each their own I guess. One thing is for sure, the 81 is awesome at cutting through.
Quote by r4ster
Yes, they do have their advantages, but they are pretty much useless if played through ... or using pedals...

Funny, considering they were invented to maintain a strong signal through a long FX chain.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I was asking about the actives, because im mostly looking at ltds, which seem like good guitars for the price, and they pretty much all have active emgs. Therefore i was asking about switching from actives to passives, not the other way around.
I have a jb in my current guitar, and I'm kinda looking for a heavy bassy chug like in some lamb of god or children of bodom, and I can't really get it with the jb. Also my amp isn't great, but its not SS, its marshal avt 100 lol.
The main problem im running across is that the emg and Sd website don't have very much info, whereas dimarzio has loads of info on output, tone, etc. And its kinda hard to compare pickups cuz when i go to a store mostly they are worse stock pus on ibanez guitars, and emgs only on the ltds. then they also have the classic jb/59 in lots, but i can't really just compare different pickups
Not to hijack, but what are the tonal differences between the 89 and 85? I've been considering a Schecter Hellraiser with the 81TW and 89. I LOVED the 81 in my old SG but hated the 85....it was way too bassy and muddy sounding for me. How does the 89 compare?
Shouldn't this be in the EMG thread?

*reported*

Just Jokes, But nah, IMO the 81's lack of a nice clean sound is such a downpoint. Especialy open chords. Or any chord for that matter
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!