I have about a month to plan my trip to NY and I'd like to know the Pit's opinion on places I should go for my first visit in the east coast. Which places should I go to that I MUST see before I leave? Restaurants I should eat at during my stay? I'm going to be there for around 4 days and 3 nights, leaving midnight on Halloween. I also need some things to occupy myself during the flight from SF to NY. I'll be bringing my laptop and DS along for the flight, but that could get boring.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
the world trade center
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Del Frisco's has the BEST steaks in NYC. going to Carnegie Deli for a giant pastrami sandwhich is also a must.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
the bronx. fun will be had
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Heres my post that i quote this in every ny thread):

well for bargains and cheap knockoffs of designer bags/shirts/belts/sunglaasses or w/e go to China Town. its a nice place to go clothes shopping. also, there are flea markets around in different places at different times so you can find out if there are any while youre there and buy some little things here and there.

guitar shops -- sadly all we have is guitar center and sam ash. there is a semi big guitar shop called 30th street guitars on 30th street, but i've never been there.

see a broadway show.

take a run in central park. its huge and there are some places that are absolutely stunning. and usually not that crowded (only some places where there are teams practicing soccer or baseball)

walk in times square at night. its super crowded, but famous for its lights and signs.

go to the bronx zoo. its like half an hour from the city but i think its the biggest zoo in the country. pretty cool

museum of natural history

there are some nice beaches, such as coney island

if youre into seafood, it might be a 45 minute drive from the city or so, but go to City Island. its filled with restaurants of GREAT seafood. might be a little crowded on the weekends

and you can chill with me in the bronx . nah, jk, i dont wanna get raped by someone i met on the internet.

if i remember anything more, i'll post here again. NY is great

Also, find food carts in the streets of Manhattan labelled Nuts 4 Nuts, or anything like that. A bag is two bucks, but totally worth it in my opinion. They taste sooo good. Can't leave NY without having a taste.

Have a good trip

Also, make sure you are protective of your wallet, pockets, bags, or whatever. You don't have to be super paranoid all of the time, but be conscious. Just use some common sense

Hey! and see my band play live

If i can think of more things, i'll add

Enjoy your trip
Quote by bmac85
Where are you staying? New York is too big to go everywhere.

I don't know exactly where I'll be staying but I'm pretty sure my hotel is near Central Park.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
you HAVE to eat at the gyro stand at 53rd and 6th at the corner of the hilton. possibly the best food i've ever had.
Quote by mashizz
you HAVE to eat at the gyro stand at 53rd and 6th at the corner of the hilton. possibly the best food i've ever had.

THIS was going to be my next suggestion. If you are near central park, FIND YOUR WAY HERE. They open after 7:30PM and it IS the best food I've had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_Rice
Quote by bmac85
THIS was going to be my next suggestion. If you are near central park, FIND YOUR WAY HERE. They open after 7:30PM and it IS the best food I've had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_Rice

My first night there, I'm probably going to go eat italian food.

Chicken AND rice?! Perfect combination.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
I know quite a few places to drink and pick up women.... since you're underage I guess I can't help you there.
NY is a lot of fun.... Enjoy your trip!
I also forgot to mention the great art museum in NYC. definately hit that up as well as the natural history museum.

i went to the guitar center and sam ash last time i was in NYC and they were pretty dissapointing. they were both pretty small and all the guitars and basses were locked onto their stands so you had to get a guy to unlock a guitar everytime you wanted to try it out. They had a pretty nice selection of vintage instruments though.

ohhhh! also go to FAO Shwarz. Its a ****ing huge toy store with anything you could possibly want. I was amazed by how big it was when i went there. Even if you are an older person you will still be very amused there.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by funkbass369
I also forgot to mention the great art museum in NYC. definately hit that up as well as the natural history museum.

i went to the guitar center and sam ash last time i was in NYC and they were pretty dissapointing. they were both pretty small and all the guitars and basses were locked onto their stands so you had to get a guy to unlock a guitar everytime you wanted to try it out. They had a pretty nice selection of vintage instruments though.

ohhhh! also go to FAO Shwarz. Its a ****ing huge toy store with anything you could possibly want. I was amazed by how big it was when i went there. Even if you are an older person you will still be very amused there.

FAO Shwarz was the first place I was thinking of visiting when I land in NY.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by funkbass369

True.. True...
It was kinda cool to see the receipts from Jimi though. Mainly to check out the prices when he was shopping for gear.
Last edited by Vikingx at Sep 26, 2009,
Quote by Vikingx
True.. True...
It was kinda cool to see the receipts from Jimi though. Mainly to check out the prices when he was shopping for gear.

agreed. that was pretty ****ing cool.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Vikingx
True.. True...

We're talking about Jimi Hendrix right?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
If you are going for italian, make a day of it and head to Chinatown. There's some fun shopping and a nice park off of canal street, then you can walk over to Mulberry for all of the rigatoni you can shake a stick at. If you are into indie, there is also a place called the cake shop that is a bar/bakery/concert venue that is pretty sweet, but i'm not sure if they allow under agers in. You can always catch a broadway show and for me I can't leave new york without seeing something. Discount tickets are available at TKTS in the heart of Times Square on 42nd street the same day of the show (I think they open at 3). The natural history museum is very cool and depending on which side you are on central park you could go there then walk across the park (a pretty long walk) to the MET (not my style, but great if you are into art). The other tourist traps (statue of liberty, WTC, and empire state building) are all underwhelming in my opinion.
Quote by bmac85
You can always catch a broadway show and for me I can't leave new york without seeing something. Discount tickets are available at TKTS in the heart of Times Square on 42nd street the same day of the show (I think they open at 3).

Right on....
Check out Spamalot. I've seen it twice and it was very funny.
Quote by Vikingx
Yup.

What exactly were on his receipts?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island. Those are obvious but everything else has already been posted
Quote by PinoyxRockar
What exactly were on his receipts?

an amp or two... it has been a few years, but I remember that the prices made me do a double-take. Inflation and all...