Poll: Recommend
Poll Options
View poll results: Recommend
Yes
18 41%
No
26 59%
Voters: 44.

It's an Epiphone Valve Junior. Costs $250 which is at my budget. I need a new amp to replace the crappy one I use now. The music store closest to me doesn't have it right now. I'm just curious if most people who have more knowledge of this amp and tube amps would recommend this. I play pop-punk, hard rock, and some metal. Would you recommend it?
The Valve Junior won't do metal at all, and is pretty bland sounding stock. You'd be better off with something like a Vypyr 30 or a Vox VT series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I owned a Vox VT at one time... I wasn't impressed. I replaced it with a Vypyr for bedroom practicing.

The Valve Junior is a nice little amp, but keep in mind that you'll need to buy some pedals to get you where you want to go.
If you want metal, there aren't too many low end, cheap tube amps that will satisfy your needs. I agree with Raijouta. The Vox VT series sounds pretty ballin' for being a hybrid. Plus it is versatile.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
If you want metal, there aren't too many low end, cheap tube amps that will satisfy your needs. I agree with Raijouta. The Vox VT series sounds pretty ballin' for being a hybrid. Plus it is versatile.

Blah....

My advise is to try everything that you can get your hands on and make a decision on what YOU think sounds good.
I almost bought one of those a while back. I opted out, despite the low price I was offered. I tested it extensively beforehand though. Here's my thoughts:

Awesome cleans at low-to-moderate volumes. The one I played had some mods done, but I still didn't care for it's overdriven sound. It likes pedals, and that was pretty much the only way I got anything better than just "acceptable" tone. With pedals, I got a pretty damn groovy classic rock tone - but still not as good as my Peavey.

I'd recommend it if you want an amp to play around with its guts. For you, probably not.
Quote by UltimateDud
Get Distortion Pedals!

No.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I'd just like to say that the newer VT series massively improve upon the older ADVT series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by UltimateDud
Get Distortion Pedals!

I have a pedal. It's a Boss DS-1.
My low-end tube amp advice from experience:

Choose the amp with best clean sounds and with the most clean headroom (volume before gain sets in).

If you have a warm, bright clean sound with good clarity you can use pedals for a variety of gain-dependent sounds, and they should all sound great.
Guitar - The true Religion
Quote by Raijouta
I'd just like to say that the newer VT series massively improve upon the older ADVT series.

sorry to butt in on your post, just curious as to the improvements. i have an ad50vt. just curious as to what they stepped up because i love my amp.

anyways, great warm to crunchy amp, but not metal.
'07 Fender MIM Strat-Sunburst
'09 Epiphone Les Paul Custom-White
Digitech Whammy
Boss Overdrive/Distortion
VOX AD100VTH + Legion 4x12 Cab
VOX AD50VT + Sunn 2x15 Cab
Squier P-Bass
Acoustic B200H and B115 cab
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
Quote by Raijouta
The Valve Junior won't do metal at all, and is pretty bland sounding stock. You'd be better off with something like a Vypyr 30 or a Vox VT series.

^this

I voted no as well.

Check out the Fender SuperChamp XD too, or a used Valveking.
I have one, they are great little amps. It will do perfectly for pop/punk stuff, and classic rock. Metal is gonna depend on how you boost it, or what ODs/distos you run, but it will never get a really tight, clear metal tone, so if that is important to you this amp is not for you.

It is a little bit thin sounding, and very dark. Also I should point out, it is LOUD. You would think 5 watts would be quiet, but by the time you get the volume up enough to sound good, it is shaking the walls.

I don't know if I would buy one new, but I got a good deal on mine and it is good for the price.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It'll pull gain pretty well with volume at about 3 o'clock and a clean to slightly dirty boost in front of it. A DS-1 with the dist waaay down and the level up fairly high.

This isn't going to get metal, but it can growl very nicely, think Rolling Stones.

I "borrowed" one recently for a few weeks from Guitar Center, bone stock, and it was a fun little amp.

I voted no, simply because there just isn't a way to coax metal tones out of this unless you're stacking piles of OD and distortion in front of it, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice little straight forward class A tuber.

They're everywhere, though, so I say try it out at the store and see for yourself.
I've had one since they first came out. It requires either pedals or a multifx before you can do much with it. I wouldn't buy one now, but I'll probably hang on to the one I got. I'd spend the extra $50 and buy the Super Champ XD over the Epi Vjr Stack.
It's a nice sounding amp, I played it a few months back. You would definitely need pedals though.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Voted no.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz