Hey guys,

My bassist is looking for a decent bass for hard rock/metal stuff. Any suggestions? He's on a really tight budget so I would say nothing over $400. Thanks!
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Ibanez has a few
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Ibanez
Fender Jazz
Schecter Stiletto Series
Rockbass by Warwick

To name a few of the best
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ibanez, Schecter (i dont really like them but a lot of people do), and Traben should all work fine.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Any bass made of heavy wood I'd say... But you can never go wrong with a P-bass, it fits for every genre!
Baaaaaaazz
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-P-Bass?sku=510424
Take care of that bass and it will take care of you. It goes for most styles, but especially the rock/metal genre. The best part is, it's crazy low price gives you more money for a good amp! And that's the big part with a bass guitar, you need an amp that can do as much as your bass, and that's not cheap.

You could also get an Ibanez soundgear, sweet, cheap, punchy.
Quote by QvistDK
Any bass made of heavy wood I'd say... But you can never go wrong with a P-bass, it fits for every genre!

P-bass fails at metal IMO...

TS...
Try Spector, Schecter, Rockbass by Warwick, or Ibanez.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
A squier VM would be fine, Ibanez (like a GSR200), Schecter, or Traben (the Array series is quite good for the price)
Quote by aceofbass131

TS...
Try Spector, Schecter, Rockbass by Warwick, or Ibanez.

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden uses on P basses. They can work very well in metal. It just isn't the standard like it is in some other genres.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by aceofbass131

Depends on the EQing of course. I play in a progressive metal band with both an Ibanez and a Squier P and they both give me good sounds.

The Ibanez's EQing allows me to get a sexxy slap tone out of it, but a nice bassy low end (thanks to a B string as my low D).

My P, I crank the mids and throw in a tad of fuzz. Absolutely beautiful.
I play with an Ibanez SR500 and it hasn't done a thing wrong for me yet. S'also worth noting that i've never had a problem throwing the tuning around either - downtune as low as you like ;D